Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Who has used the Raptor Dual Mode shift light?

Curious to hear any feedback about this shift light.

I'm wondering if this wouldn't be a good mod to help get a better more consistant launch and more consistent shifts for a better ET.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
DandD

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2011 LS
Hi caverman, what timing you have. I just took my car to the track yesterday for the first time since installing the Raptor shift light. I really like it, as for getting more consistant launches I'll need some more passes to get a good read on that. The thing I really like is the fact that I don't have to keep looking from the tach to the tree to make sure my launch rpm is where I want it, the light is plenty bright enough that I can just watch the tree while seeing the light indirectly. Yesterday I was launching from 2400 to 2600 rpm, trying to find the sweet spot, as for the shift point I had that set at 6100 but with the shifts you can either go with the light or the tach, I don't shift at the same rpm for each shift, I short shift 1st a little and stretch 3rd out a little longer. Bottom line, the Raptor is a great addition for me I'd recommend it for sure.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
caverman

How did you attach it to your dash?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
platinum ss
Brandon Gilpin

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS / 2014 Fiesta ST
and how hard is it to install?
2011 Camaro 1SS Platinum ed. ls3 k&n CAI, BBK LT's, MBRP Cat Back, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Camshaft, Melling oil pump, Norris Catch Can, dyno tuned By AGP Speed & Custom, msd coils, taylor cables, Vmax ported throttle body, strut brace, eibach springs, hurst ST shifter.

Black on black, Private forged wheels, Oracle side marker lights, black tail light bezels, 3D Carbon body kit
platinum ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
DandD

I siliconed the clip to the dash so if I ever want to move or remove it the silicone will come off no muss no fuss, I ran the wire harness between the A-pillar and the dash and then down into the fuse box area and under the dash. As for the difficulty of installation that depends on what your capabilities are. There are 4 wires to hook up 2 are just the power and ground. The other two I hooked up to the 2 ECM harnesses (x-1 and X-2) there is a great video on here to show you just how to do it. The entire install took me less than an hour.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
caverman

Is there a way to turn it off? I'm just thinking that in normal driving where you would hit that 2600-2800 rpm and having the light go off all the time might get annoying after while.

I'm wondering if I can get a 4 wire plug (like a trailer light plug) that I could use to plug it in at the race track. Then maybe use a phone or GPS suction cup that I could mount it to. When I'm at the track just plug it in, run the wire up the side of the dash, and then suction it to the front windshield.
Build Journal
Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
DandD

I don't see any reason as to why that wouldn't work. You can shut off the launch mode, and it comes with a soft rubber cover for the light so you don't see it come on in normal driving.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
I was one of the first ones that installed one in a 5th gen and went through all the trials of getting it to work properly. They have since re-designed it which makes for easier install and easier to adjust the settings.

Its an awesome piece and works great. And as far as the "launch" light coming on during normal driving, it doesnt happen. One of the 2 wires that connects to the ecm is a speed sensor feed. If the car is in motion, the "launch" function is completely disabled. The only time it will come on during normal driving is when you start the car it goes through a test sequence of lighting up which lasts about 2 seconds.
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
You guys don't by-chance know a good place to order one of these from, do you?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
I got mine from Kentucky Speed--kyspeed.com-- a couple years ago. Not sure if they're still a sponsor here but I'm sure other vendors also sell them here.
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandD View Post
I siliconed the clip to the dash so if I ever want to move or remove it the silicone will come off no muss no fuss, I ran the wire harness between the A-pillar and the dash and then down into the fuse box area and under the dash. As for the difficulty of installation that depends on what your capabilities are. There are 4 wires to hook up 2 are just the power and ground. The other two I hooked up to the 2 ECM harnesses (x-1 and X-2) there is a great video on here to show you just how to do it. The entire install took me less than an hour.
I guess I missed something, but where is the install video?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
TornadoSS
WICKDSS

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IOM LS3
I just installed mine (a Gen II Dual Mode) a few weeks ago in hopes to being more consistent also. Haven't had it to the track yet. I mounted mine down by the 4 gauges on the drivers side. Seems to be visible to my peripheral vision even with a full face helmet on. The best place to order is http://www.apex-speed.com/raptor-per...t-rap2000.html

I mounted mine to an old ProCLip phone mount I had. Still on the fence on whether I want to move it up to the A pillar or not. My plan is to add a plug to the cable right behind the light to make it removable when not needed.

TornadoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #13
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
I love my raptor dual mode shift light!
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
DandD

I'm sorry Lee123 I misspoke it isn't a video rather a diy with pics, here ya go.http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60745