Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Question Running 13.5 WOT

So I recently did a cam swap and tune and my tuner has my car running an A/F of 13.5 WOT. I'd been told by practically everyone that knows anything about cars, including other performance shops, that the "sweet spot" is 12.5-12.8. My tuner has been tuning for over 20 years and claims to have done over 40 5th gens. Even other shops around my state have said that this guy is good. I asked him why my car was running so lean, and he said the leaner he made it, the more power it made. When he was done, he said it made 467rwp SAE and 480whp standard correction. I'm not even sure what most places use, SAE or standard correction. Other cars with the exact same mods including the same cam are making 495 whp at other shops. He's even tuned my car twice after his first tune made my ABS system go haywire. He refused to admit it was the tune, recommended I take it to a dealer, and they put the stock tune back in with no more ABS issue. I had to drive my car for a week with an aggressive cam on the stock tune before he'd take a look at the car and figure out where his tune went wrong...not fun. Of course I get the "no other car has ever done that before" spill.

Anyway, I'm just nervous that I could damage running running so lean and am debating taking it elsewhere to have it tuned again. The only issues I have with that are that it's 80 miles away and I hadn't planned on forking out another $550 for a retune. Could I possibly damage anything running so lean, and could there be potentially more power yet to be tapped? My car is an M6 btw. Thanks!
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Motion427
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel L99
I'd be nervous at 13.5 afr.From my experience I ussually go for 12.6-12.8.
I think a retune would be cheaper than a motor.I'm sure the regular tuners on this site will problably agree.
Motion427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Is 13.5 observed with a sniffer wbo2 or one in the exhaust just downstream from the header on one side? When I tune on our dyno I know our sniffer reads about .2 leaner than our innovate or my plx when installed in the bung. I shoot for 12.8 to 13.2 on the sniffer which would equate to 12.6 to 13.0.

13.5 is a tad lean though imo.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Rabamaro

I'm pretty sure it's a sniffer he used. He put some sort of sensor in the tailpipe when it was on the dyno.
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Rabamaro

How do you adjust your tune for the vararam tune only intake? My guy told me to call vararam myself to ask them how he should tune it, and then ended up not doing what Patrick suggested. He followed saying that his way was better and that he had tons of experience tuning that intake. I can't understand how that'd be true when a week prior he had me call them!