Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
silver2ssrs10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
no lift shift

Is there a way to set up your tune so you can shift at wot without the throttle blade closing when you hit the clutch?
silver2ssrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver2ssrs10 View Post
Is there a way to set up your tune so you can shift at wot without the throttle blade closing when you hit the clutch?
Yes do you have a new motor ready to be installed when you miss a gear?
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
To funny!
We can also make it 100 throttle at start up. But even if we move the re limiter to 7000 and your valves will print smile faces on your piston. That will help mark the spot for your valve relief cuts for the new motor.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS 6m
Location: Fort Walton Beach...surrounded by da** pickup trucks I can't see around!
Yeah, it's called a 2-step, Lingenfelter and MSD make them. Alternatively, you can set up the tune with a lower rpm limit when in park/neutral. Stock, it's set too high (hence the need for a new engine if you miss a shift) LOL

Edit - and yes, you can have just spark control that versus spark and throttle and fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver2ssrs10 View Post
Procharged F1A-94 on a 416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Alky/ Strange/QA1/DSS/BMR/RPS/Tilton/GZM/Fore/AEM/ATi/JGS etc., built/tuned by me and Innovative Street Technologies
'Mo's Seemingly Endless Build Thread
ducatisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
silver2ssrs10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Why would i need a new motor if i miss a gear? I thought thats what the rev limiter is for.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Location: Fort Walton Beach...surrounded by da** pickup trucks I can't see around!
...there's this concept known as inertia...
Procharged F1A-94 on a 416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Alky/ Strange/QA1/DSS/BMR/RPS/Tilton/GZM/Fore/AEM/ATi/JGS etc., built/tuned by me and Innovative Street Technologies
Old 04-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Mass in motion tend to stay in motion...rev limiter have no brakes

Did you get your tune????

How do you like
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
bluetorp

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
Powershifting is a pretty standard technique when drag racing a manual. Don't want to miss a shift and over-rev and kiss your pistons? Learn how to shift properly.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

I've used the Lingenfelter LNC-2000 alot, super easy to install. Owned an MSD that broke before ever using it on the strip. Implementing a 2-step in a tune is easy, but it's a little different than how the LNC does it and, of course, you need to know exactly how you're shifting as well, and if you change for some reason, say your at a track and you have traction issues and you're going to short shift 1-2, then you'll need to remember to lift on 1-2 if you intend to keep no-lift on 2-3, 3-4, etc.

Unless you're tuning with HP Tuners or EFI Live, I'd just get the LNC-2000 or the LNC-003.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
silver2ssrs10

Ok, let me see if I can get things straight here. When someone says miss a shift while power shifting and you will over rev the engine, they are talking about going into a lower gear right like shifting from 3rd, back to 2nd, instead of 4th or from 2nd to 1st right? Reason I ask is because you can still miss a shift and not go into any gear, the motor will still rev up, but the limiter should catch it right? Sorry, but I'm just trying to clarify and get things straight. Maybe powershifting is not a good idea on these cars. I've never tried to do it yet, I was just looking to see if its possible. The main issue I've read about was people saying you can't power shift these cars at all because even if you try, the throttle still closes during a shift, even when you have your foot to the floor.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Think about it: You've mentally committed your right foot to NOT move off the gas and you stab the clutch quickly while pulling the shifter to *hopefully* the next gear. Several pounds of rotating steel and aluminum are accelerating quickly towards *where* you want to shift. IF you miss, that right foot is still planted and if you're not running a 2-step...well...the stock tune has, as I recall, a neutral/park rpm limit somewhere well north of 6500 rpm, and even when that kicks in, that mass of rotating steel and aluminum that previously under a 4000 lb static, plus whatever aero load, are now free to spin much, much higher. Not a good scenario as Jannetty and TT pointed out to you earlier.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
bluetorp

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
Exactly. For example, trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd, but getting it into 1st instead.

Nothing wrong with powershifting if you use proper shift technique, but with stock calibration the ETC will close the throttle blade when the clutch is depressed even if the gas pedal is on the floor. Isn't an issue with cable-driven throttle cars.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
silver2ssrs10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetorp View Post
Exactly. For example, trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd, but getting it into 1st instead.

Nothing wrong with powershifting if you use proper shift technique, but with stock calibration the ETC will close the throttle blade when the clutch is depressed even if the gas pedal is on the floor. Isn't an issue with cable-driven throttle cars.
Ok so can this calibration be changed and is it normally changed in a custom tune? And will it improve et when powershifting at the dragstrip?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
silver2ssrs10

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
Mass in motion tend to stay in motion...rev limiter have no brakes

Did you get your tune????

How do you like
Yes, I got my tune. Don't really feel much difference with the torque management like people say, but I have a m6, not an automatic. Wot does feel a little bit stronger though. I also datalogged and didn't see any more knock retard, so I am pleased with that aspect. Thanks JRE