Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
garcmol


 
garcmol's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft. Mitchell, Alabama
Posts: 7,282
Question How do you know if advertised "Additives" are really in your fuel??

I don't know how fuel stations really work, or the tankers that fill the place. But we have a new Chevron down the street and Chevron always talks about "Techron". The tanker was finished and leaving when I pulled in to get gas. When I left and headed to work, the same tanker was filling up a Big Cat just down the street.

Does the individual station put their additives in? Like Shell, BP, etc?

Are there baffles or dividers in the tankers?

Began wondering about this after a fuel thread started in the general 5th gen discussion thread.

Any ideas?

__________________
Pedders Pace Car Package, Injen CAI, Flowmaster AT, AAC Lighting, ZL1 fascia/skirts, RKSport Ram Air hood, vented fenders, painted stripes (Gary's Customz), Honor and Valor badged (Thank you, John)
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
edgar3
 
edgar3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: upper deerfield, nj
Posts: 419
after years of reviewing wines and cigars I've developed a keen palate.
The only way to know for sure is to swill a bit in your mouth. You have to know what you're "tasting" for.
I spit the gasoline out after I taste it... I'm not an idiot.



TIPS:
do not drink out of the hose
carry you're own shot glass
best not to smoke while testing
__________________


XSPower Longtube + Catback "Engine to Tip" polished steel
VMAX ported Throttle Body
160 degree thermostat
Street Tune East Coast Supercharging
Cold Air Inductions
TRex Phantom Black Billet Grill. Upper and lower
Custom Badging
Lloyd Floors mats
splash guards
Underhood Engine bay done
AAC LED mailslot strip lights
Flowing Cheese Fondue waterfall in console
Various food items to dip into warm cheese
edgar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
garcmol


 
garcmol's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft. Mitchell, Alabama
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar3 View Post
after years of reviewing wines and cigars I've developed a keen palate.
The only way to know for sure is to swill a bit in your mouth. You have to know what you're "tasting" for.
I spit the gasoline out after I taste it... I'm not an idiot.



TIPS:
do not drink out of the hose
carry you're own shot glass
best not to smoke while testing
good tips
__________________
Pedders Pace Car Package, Injen CAI, Flowmaster AT, AAC Lighting, ZL1 fascia/skirts, RKSport Ram Air hood, vented fenders, painted stripes (Gary's Customz), Honor and Valor badged (Thank you, John)
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
SS 376

 
SS 376's Avatar
 
Drives: IBM 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
I don't know how fuel stations really work, or the tankers that fill the place. But we have a new Chevron down the street and Chevron always talks about "Techron". The tanker was finished and leaving when I pulled in to get gas. When I left and headed to work, the same tanker was filling up a Big Cat just down the street.

Does the individual station put their additives in? Like Shell, BP, etc?

Are there baffles or dividers in the tankers?

Began wondering about this after a fuel thread started in the general 5th gen discussion thread.

Any ideas?

It's most likely advertising BS. All you need to be concerned about is the octane.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
garcmol


 
garcmol's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft. Mitchell, Alabama
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
It's most likely advertising BS. All you need to be concerned about is the octane.
I dunno. Just saw the same tanker pull in to two different stations and fill them up. Just curious if someone knows.
__________________
Pedders Pace Car Package, Injen CAI, Flowmaster AT, AAC Lighting, ZL1 fascia/skirts, RKSport Ram Air hood, vented fenders, painted stripes (Gary's Customz), Honor and Valor badged (Thank you, John)
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
camaro-dreamer
 
camaro-dreamer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 327
Techron (R) is a polyetheramine. If I was curious, I would simply take a sample and test it using FTIR spectroscopy. I can't think of anything else in gasoline that should have a C-N stretch.
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 24,888
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The gasoline is 'premixed' before the tanker trucks are filled. The tankers themselves are divided into multiple compartments, and do they contain different types of fuel. I do not know if they have 5 different 'versions' of regular, then 5 more of premium, and 5 more of diesel or whether they have the same regular gas in several compartments.

However, I'm not convinced that one brand of gasoline is going to cause any more problems (or be of any more benefit) than the stuff just down the street. I'd be willing to bet that the additive ****tail each station uses is more or less the same. Sometimes you might have a branded additive used for advertising purposes, but chances are somebody else uses a similar chemical to do the same thing, they just call it something else. This is all just my own supposition though. I have little actual knowledge of the intricate details of gasoline branding/chemistry.

*edit*
auto-censor fail
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
SIRLOIN
Banned
 
Drives: Ms. Daisy
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nashville,Tn
Posts: 400
I find that Shell seems to have the best gasoline. Just my opinion though...

Sometimes when fill up at other gas stations my car doesnt seem to run as smooth as when i get gas at Shell. Could be just my imagination but...

Also Shell gas stations are always nice and clean...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
garcmol


 
garcmol's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ft. Mitchell, Alabama
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-dreamer View Post
Techron (R) is a polyetheramine. If I was curious, I would simply take a sample and test it using FTIR spectroscopy. I can't think of anything else in gasoline that should have a C-N stretch.
Hmmm, will they do that at AutoZone? I have no idear what this means.

But keep them coming!
__________________
Pedders Pace Car Package, Injen CAI, Flowmaster AT, AAC Lighting, ZL1 fascia/skirts, RKSport Ram Air hood, vented fenders, painted stripes (Gary's Customz), Honor and Valor badged (Thank you, John)
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
camaro-dreamer
 
camaro-dreamer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Hmmm, will they do that at AutoZone? I have no idear what this means.

But keep them coming!
I would guess probably not. There are advantages to having an office next to an analytical chemistry lab.
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.