Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
IronToss
Corporate Lackey

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Flowmaster AMT with OEM GFX (Rattling)

Any of you guys running a Flowmaster AMT catback with the OEM ground effects and getting rattling at the exhaust bezels at the back?

The Flowmaster tips are huge and literally are wedged in touching both the top and bottom of the exhaust bezels. Planning to take the car to an exhaust shop who told me that they did a Camaro not to long ago where they had to cut off the Flowmaster tips and put something else on to get rid of the rattle.

Just curious cause they seem damn tight. Kinda thinking maybe the whole system is out of wack as far as alignment, might be pushing the tips too far out the back or something. I know the rear exhaust hangers off each muffler are currently tight up against the back frame (those that did the install themselves will know what I am taking about). Maybe the hangers are too long?

Kinda suprised that the fitment isn't better, guessing maybe it's just that it wasn't installed as 'good' as it could have been.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.
-- Flowmaster AMT 3" Catback / Hurst Billet-Plus 2 Shifter
IronToss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
Did you buy the kit for OEM GFX? those dont have tips.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
IronToss
Corporate Lackey

Yeah the box specifically says for use with the OEM GFX, there are tips on it, they are quite large, mashed right into the bezels. I checked the product number multiple times before I ordered and it also matched up to the one on the label on the box itself. I still have the box at home, will double check. I was sure the photo on the Flowmaster site itself showed the chrome tips though.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
IronToss
Corporate Lackey

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...aro-817487.htm

Shows above with the chrome tips, also the video from Flowmaster of this system being installed on a Camaro with the ground effects also showed the chrome tips, so they are suppose to be there.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
jdmayolo

Drives: 2011 camaro ss2
Just got done putting on the same system as you did. The tips on mine are like 3.5 or 4in. They not touching the exhaust bezels, they are to sit back a bit in the bezels. Did you have a tough time getting the system fit together?
jdmayolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
toml_pa
ʇuɐıʌǝp lɐıɔos

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmayolo View Post
Just got done putting on the same system as you did. The tips on mine are like 3.5 or 4in. They not touching the exhaust bezels, they are to sit back a bit in the bezels. Did you have a tough time getting the system fit together?
I have been running Flowmaster AMT with GFX for over a year with both stock manifold/cats and with headers/high flow cats without any fitment issues. The end of my tips also set back in the bezels also. If you look inside the bezel, the top and bottom have a radius to accommodate the tips. If the end of your tips extend beyond the radius, the sections of exhaust pipe might not be fully seated. Don't let anyone cut the tips off. If the pipes are seated and tips are still not correct, I would cut a little off where last two pieces of pipe mate together right behind the axle.
toml_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
IronToss
Corporate Lackey

Yeah that makes sense, mine are pretty tight up into the bezels, guessing it isn't pushed in as far as the sections could have been. Thanks for the information, hoping to get it adjusted later this coming week and will post back.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
IronToss
Corporate Lackey

So I got the setup adjusted yesterday at a muffler shop that does alot of sports/custom cars, etc. The tips now sit maybe 3-4" back into the bezels where it looks like they should have been in the first place, where the lower bezel area rounds out to accomodate the tip. They also got the stock tunnel brace back on, had to shim it with some washers to get it a bit lower but it fit awesome. No more rattles or anything, good to go.