Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
kstroik

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
tune?

How much hp and torqe will i gain with a tune? I already have kooks long tube header and high flow cats. does it pay to mess with the warranty?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
InfernoSS454

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Yes u wud gain about 50rwhp.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstroik View Post
How much hp and torqe will i gain with a tune? I already have kooks long tube header and high flow cats. does it pay to mess with the warranty?
LS3 or L99? Either way, the tune is worth it (especially since you have mods) but it's great for the L99s tranny and really unlocks the car's potential.

On a stock car, the peak gains from a tune are minimal, but you unleash a lot of power under the curve and minimize TQ management.

Get a hold of Ted at Jannetty Racing. He will get you taken care of I had my car tuned before it even hit 1000 miles. Totally worth it.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
10BlkSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Im driving a 2010 with 3xxx miles on it....whens my powertrain warrenty up? Im terrible...what does a tune cost typically? Id like to kill the 4cyl mode but I assume you also kill the governor with the tune too? Or can you pick what you want the tune to do?

Maxima SE (Traded)
Camaro SS
Hummer H3
Old 05-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
mrdth

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
LS3 or L99? Either way, the tune is worth it (especially since you have mods) but it's great for the L99s tranny and really unlocks the car's potential.

On a stock car, the peak gains from a tune are minimal, but you unleash a lot of power under the curve and minimize TQ management.

Get a hold of Ted at Jannetty Racing. He will get you taken care of I had my car tuned before it even hit 1000 miles. Totally worth it.
+1
Dynatech Ceramic Coated LT Headers
Magnaflow 3" Competition Cat BacK
CAI Cold Air Intake
RX Catch Can
Pfadt Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Cradle Bushings
Built And Tuned By Jannetty Racing Enterprises
Old 05-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10BlkSS View Post
Im driving a 2010 with 3xxx miles on it....whens my powertrain warrenty up? Im terrible...what does a tune cost typically? Id like to kill the 4cyl mode but I assume you also kill the governor with the tune too? Or can you pick what you want the tune to do?
Dyno tunes typically cost around $500. The tuner can change whatever you want.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10BlkSS View Post
Not 100% sure, but I thought these came with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty? There's no way I could wait that long to mod.

You can also get a remote tune for $399 here:

http://jreperformanceparts.com/sct-x...10-camaro.html

Some say dyno tuning is better, but Ted can get pretty darn close. Ask around on the forum and you'll find many happy customers.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Camaro Corvette GTO GM Truck tuning in Tampa

When guys come to me for tuning, I first ask them what are the goals for the car.

If its a bolt ons and under vehicle with the possiblilty of more modifications in the future, I like to save them a buck and go with my street tuning package with no dyno and still use a wideband while dialing the low end and WOT both in open and closed loop.

If you are installing aftermarket internals, I recommend the dyno and my custom tuning where im plugged into the vehicle with HP Tuners and my wideband connected again in open and closed loop for low end and WOT.

Mail order tunes (no wideband) will make your car run much better than the stock configuration, but isnt designed specifically for your car. Its a tune that worked very well in someone elses car with a wideband and similar modifications, then cut and pasted over to your configuration. This should only be done with the same make, model, year vehicle.

At $150 bucks, My mail order tunes are great bang for the buck. I review several scans to determine how the car is reacting to the tuning change, but it isnt custom for your vehicle, its just changed to monitor if there was any knock.

You'd need HP Tuners. Check with guys in your local corvette or camaro club to see if anyone has the tuning platform. If you buy it new, it cost $650 and you can tune 4 cars unlimited.

So if 4 guys in a club chip in and buy the program at $650.00 + $150 for a mail order tune equals $800.00. Divide that by 4 and that comes out to $200 bucks a guy, and you have unlimited access to the cars with unlimited amount of tunes you can store.
Phil

www.Tampatuning.com
Old 05-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstroik View Post
Gains Vary by how much the parts you bolt on throw off the Factory calibration.

Advantages with SCT X3 Hand Held device and JRE Custom Tuning.

:You get your own device to keep in the car for the life of the car.

:This device is a tool, that will;

Read and Clear Codes
Log all Factory PIDs with Free Livelink Software
Perform Special functions like Case learn or synchronize your Cam and Crank Sensors with the ECM.
Store the Factory tune for re installation any time without a laptop.
Store up to 3 Custom Tune files to load any time without a laptop.

:Allows JRE Remote Access to Your Cars computers for both ECM and TCM Custom Tuning.

:JRE Free Tune Program works like this;

Purchase your new SCT X3 Hand Held device from JRE and the first Tune for Simple bolt ons is FREE, i.e. cold air kit and cat back exhaust.

:Continue to purchase your Performance parts from JRE and Custom JRE Tunes for those Parts are FREE, including Headers, Cams, NOS, Superchargers, Turbos Torque converters Gears, wheels and tires, or anything that requires a Custom Tune to work properly.

Above mods (except Headers alone) require you Log PIDs that I request, and you drive it the way I request, Send me those logs, I veiw the logs and Tweak the tune until You and I are Satisfied 100%

:JRE Has tuned Over 850 Gen5 Camaros and Carries 30+ Years of Tuning Experience.

:No One Has More Gen5 Experience.

:JRE has Custom Tunes for Every Single GM Calibration for Each year Produced, Each tune is Written from Scratch Starting With your Factory Calibration and adding changes for your specific Modifications.

NO Cutting and Pasting Here because it Does NOT work with GM Calibrations, Each Calibration number is unique and same Items have different addresses.

Cutting and Pasting Causes File Corruption.

Thank you all for the continued support of JRE Custom Tuning, Performance Parts, State of the Art Speed Shop.

Ted.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
M Miller69

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
You cant go wrong with the SCT and a JRE tune. I was very impressed with the cars performance and like Ted said you own the tuner which is capable of many things.

10' 2SS
MPD1 Hood
MPD1 spoiler
SS front splitter

SW lt Headers
VMaxx porteds TB
JRE 93 octane tune
Old 05-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
SGT Stretch

Drives: 2016 Hyper Metallic Blue SS
Just got my tuner from Ted today... just sent in the reqested info and sitting here like a giddy little school girl on prom night waiting for the response email lol.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Gains Vary by how much the parts you bolt on throw off the Factory calibration.

Advantages with SCT X3 Hand Held device and JRE Custom Tuning.

:You get your own device to keep in the car for the life of the car.

:This device is a tool, that will;

Read and Clear Codes
Log all Factory PIDs with Free Livelink Software
Perform Special functions like Case learn or synchronize your Cam and Crank Sensors with the ECM.
Store the Factory tune for re installation any time without a laptop.
Store up to 3 Custom Tune files to load any time without a laptop.

:Allows JRE Remote Access to Your Cars computers for both ECM and TCM Custom Tuning.

:JRE Free Tune Program works like this;

Purchase your new SCT X3 Hand Held device from JRE and the first Tune for Simple bolt ons is FREE, i.e. cold air kit and cat back exhaust.

:Continue to purchase your Performance parts from JRE and Custom JRE Tunes for those Parts are FREE, including Headers, Cams, NOS, Superchargers, Turbos Torque converters Gears, wheels and tires, or anything that requires a Custom Tune to work properly.

Above mods (except Headers alone) require you Log PIDs that I request, and you drive it the way I request, Send me those logs, I veiw the logs and Tweak the tune until You and I are Satisfied 100%

:JRE Has tuned Over 850 Gen5 Camaros and Carries 30+ Years of Tuning Experience.

:No One Has More Gen5 Experience.

:JRE has Custom Tunes for Every Single GM Calibration for Each year Produced, Each tune is Written from Scratch Starting With your Factory Calibration and adding changes for your specific Modifications.

NO Cutting and Pasting Here because it Does NOT work with GM Calibrations, Each Calibration number is unique and same Items have different addresses.

Cutting and Pasting Causes File Corruption.

Thank you all for the continued support of JRE Custom Tuning, Performance Parts, State of the Art Speed Shop.

Ted.
I have the L99/A6 in my SS and she's a daily driver.. planning on getting a Vararam and some sort of cat-back exhaust..

After that, I'm thinking of SCT w/ JRE tune.

My question is that since my car is a daily driver, I'm actually one guy that likes the fuel savings that my AFM / DOD has.. Can I get a tune that will improve performance without sacrificing the fuel saving features the stock tune has?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Looks like I hit a sore note here, but cutting and pasting does work with GM calibrations with HP Tuners. You have to use the same year, make and model vehicle with the similar modification. That's how every tuner does mail order tuning from their best tuned vehicles. Maybe SCT has issues with it.

Cutting and pasting doesnt not causes corruption. Ive done 100's of mail order tunes and never had anyone have a single issue with all of the tuners that use HP Tuners on the 6 other forums I sponsor.

The tuners in these threads have been around forever tuning every possible configuration. Their HP Tuners mail order programs seem to work very well lol. Again we all use our best tunes for the mail order program.
I prefer to educate you guys and not use scare tactics.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-s...rder-tune.html

http://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sa...nly-150-a.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...lt-on-car.html

http://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagno...ners-more.html
Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
phil does a great tune!!!l

Closed Thread