Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
Ajmalian

Drives: 2017 ZL1 and 2016 GMC Sierra Denali
DO I NEED A TUNE/RETUNE??

Dear fellow Camaro owners,

I have a 2010 SS and had my car was dyno tuned by my local tuner who uses the HP tuners platform. Problem is, I have had Kooks long tube headers + Corsa cat-back installed on my ride and went back to him to get the car retuned. The guy is unfortunately so arrogant and has his head so far up his backside that he insists that his tune is flawless and it can not be bettered....even if I got long tube headers and a cat-back (AND a no-tune vararam CAI). I even offered to pay him the full amount for a whole new tune, but unfortunately he's like either live with what you have or remove the tune.

What I want to know is that how necessary would a new tune be. What kind of benefits could I possibly achieve by having the car retuned, if any? Or should I just live with what I have?

Just so you should know, I did get the check engine light thrown in my face when I installed the exhaust and the same tuner (because I got the exhaust installed by someone else for cheaper) told me that the CEL came up because the installer must have made some error and grazed some wire during the installation and thats why I'm getting the CEL. However he also said it was a minor error and that he could take care of it because "HE IS THAT GOOD" and simply deleted the error and my CEL went away.

As you can tell I'm a newbie and would appreciate the guidance.
Ajmalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Long tubes usually throw a code because the cat's are moved further back and it takes the oxygen sensors longer to heat up. The tune will need to be adjusted or that CEL will come back.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmalian View Post
Dear fellow Camaro owners,

I have a 2010 SS and had my car was dyno tuned by my local tuner who uses the HP tuners platform. Problem is, I have had Kooks long tube headers + Corsa cat-back installed on my ride and went back to him to get the car retuned. The guy is unfortunately so arrogant and has his head so far up his backside that he insists that his tune is flawless and it can not be bettered....even if I got long tube headers and a cat-back (AND a no-tune vararam CAI). I even offered to pay him the full amount for a whole new tune, but unfortunately he's like either live with what you have or remove the tune.

What I want to know is that how necessary would a new tune be. What kind of benefits could I possibly achieve by having the car retuned, if any? Or should I just live with what I have?

Just so you should know, I did get the check engine light thrown in my face when I installed the exhaust and the same tuner (because I got the exhaust installed by someone else for cheaper) told me that the CEL came up because the installer must have made some error and grazed some wire during the installation and thats why I'm getting the CEL. However he also said it was a minor error and that he could take care of it because "HE IS THAT GOOD" and simply deleted the error and my CEL went away.

As you can tell I'm a newbie and would appreciate the guidance.
Have That tuner Return your car to stock, I think your first Impression is Correct!

Then contact me about an SCT tuner and a Custom Email Tune For your Mods, and I will get you fixed up.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
SGT Stretch

Drives: 2016 Hyper Metallic Blue SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Have That tuner Return your car to stock, I think your first Impression is Correct!

Then contact me about an SCT tuner and a Custom Email Tune For your Mods, and I will get you fixed up.

Ted.

This. Teds tunes are well known here, and he will take great care of you.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
siriusdish

Drives: 2010 Camaro L99
If U can not get him to put your stock tune on go to the dealer and pay to be reflashed to stock. Then Call Ted. We should of never left JRE, I admit...
vararam intake, Vmax TB,Vmax Intake,TSP VVT 3 Cam,TSP underdrive pulley,Yank 3600,TM Cooler,ARH 2", High Flow cats, X-pipe, GM Pro mufflers, RX Catch Can,160 stat, BMR Trailing,toe,Cradle insert, Diff. Bushings, End links, Spohn-LCA's (Touring)Wheel spacer's. 422 rwhp Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFNAhCL7Os
siriusdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Have you tried this guy :
Tariq Performance in Dubai, UAE (Aweer Industrial Area, Ras Al Khor Road, Plot #39, B Block)
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
997turbo

Drives: CAMARO 1SS 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusdish View Post
If U can not get him to put your stock tune on go to the dealer and pay to be reflashed to stock. Then Call Ted. We should of never left JRE, I admit...
Well,did all your problem fixed from TED?Good to hear.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
siriusdish

Drives: 2010 Camaro L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 997turbo View Post
Well,did all your problem fixed from TED?Good to hear.
Not yet, waiting to get the cash. The Light did go off on its own again. I told my Dad it will be back.
vararam intake, Vmax TB,Vmax Intake,TSP VVT 3 Cam,TSP underdrive pulley,Yank 3600,TM Cooler,ARH 2", High Flow cats, X-pipe, GM Pro mufflers, RX Catch Can,160 stat, BMR Trailing,toe,Cradle insert, Diff. Bushings, End links, Spohn-LCA's (Touring)Wheel spacer's. 422 rwhp Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFNAhCL7Os
siriusdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:14 AM   #9
Ajmalian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
Have you tried this guy :
Tariq Performance in Dubai, UAE (Aweer Industrial Area, Ras Al Khor Road, Plot #39, B Block)
No I haven't tried going to him/them but yes, I have heard a great deal about this garage.

Let me see what they say. I'll probably pop by them this weekend.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:32 AM   #10
Ajmalian

Guys, thanks for all your feedback, I really appreciate it. The only thing is that none of you have addressed my other question?

What benefits would I get by retuning my car?

I have had the tune with the exhaust for a little over a year on my car and it has never thrown a CEL at me after my tuner had deleted that error...so what really would I be gaining by doing so?

Would i be making more HP or torque or is it just to avoid the CEL again?

And I surely will be getting in touch with Ted once I have things set a little clearer in my head.

Thanks again to all!!
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Tell him the guys from The Tuning School sent you to him, and Phil's running out of double apple flavored tobacco for his Hookah. lol
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmalian View Post
Guys, thanks for all your feedback, I really appreciate it. The only thing is that none of you have addressed my other question?

What benefits would I get by retuning my car?

I have had the tune with the exhaust for a little over a year on my car and it has never thrown a CEL at me after my tuner had deleted that error...so what really would I be gaining by doing so?

Would i be making more HP or torque or is it just to avoid the CEL again?

And I surely will be getting in touch with Ted once I have things set a little clearer in my head.

Thanks again to all!!
Without knowing what the current state of tune is now it would be hard to Predict any power gains but you will not have CEL anymore.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headers tune