Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Camaro on Camaro... thought about AdamZ's experience

Last night, my wife and I were driving along... when a 2012 Camaro came tearing out of a side street, 17- year old kid gripping the wheel as he disregarded the stop sign, and aimed for the highway... which at that moment was occupied by us. We swerved, he swerved, and a collision was narrowly avoided.

The kid then drove for the next couple of miles trying to mount my tail with his front bumper... apparently he felt that I'd caused him trouble by being in the place that HE wanted to be, and his way of getting back at me would be to ride my bumper. I chose not to brake- check him... lucky for him.

So, later in the evening, we attend a high school awards ceremony for one of my kids. We see the same punk kid there! Turns out, according to other kids at the table, punkboy was given the Camaro as a graduation gift... he took possession just a couple of weeks ago. The kids said that he's already known as a holy terror, tearing around at top speed everywhere he goes, no regard for anybody else.

I thought much about AdamZ's experience (ricer kid)... and I just hope that law enforcement can shut this kid down before he kills somebody. It appears that his parents (who should certainly be aware of the kid's lack of driving ability/ skills/ maturity) thought that he should be behind the wheel of a Camaro... so, coppers, now it's up to you to take those keys away. His parents won't do it.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
ROBOSSRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Last night, my wife and I were driving along... when a 2012 Camaro came tearing out of a side street, 17- year old kid gripping the wheel as he disregarded the stop sign, and aimed for the highway... which at that moment was occupied by us. We swerved, he swerved, and a collision was narrowly avoided.

The kid then drove for the next couple of miles trying to mount my tail with his front bumper... apparently he felt that I'd caused him trouble by being in the place that HE wanted to be, and his way of getting back at me would be to ride my bumper. I chose not to brake- check him... lucky for him.

So, later in the evening, we attend a high school awards ceremony for one of my kids. We see the same punk kid there! Turns out, according to other kids at the table, punkboy was given the Camaro as a graduation gift... he took possession just a couple of weeks ago. The kids said that he's already known as a holy terror, tearing around at top speed everywhere he goes, no regard for anybody else.

I thought much about AdamZ's experience (ricer kid)... and I just hope that law enforcement can shut this kid down before he kills somebody. It appears that his parents (who should certainly be aware of the kid's lack of driving ability/ skills/ maturity) thought that he should be behind the wheel of a Camaro... so, coppers, now it's up to you to take those keys away. His parents won't do it.

I see no good reason to give a high school wet behind the ears kid any car. He needs to bag groceries and get his own old beater.
ROBOSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
if you had a cell phone you should have called the police when you saw him the first time.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Scalded Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
if you had a cell phone you should have called the police when you saw him the first time.
Yes, that's how it SHOULD work.

CA posts signs all over the place, does public service announcements, and endlessly promotes their "Call 911 to report drunk drivers!" campaign. I have done this a number of times, when I have observed (apparently) highly intoxicated drivers. Average response time for these is generally about one hour, and many times, upon my subsequent calls to update location or something else that has been hit, run over, or scraped, dispatchers tell me (in addition to, "Do not follow!" which they say with EVERY phone call of this nature) "oh... hmmm... we already terminated the dispatch, it didn't sound serious." I am very tenacious, and WILL continue to follow, and will continue to update on new locations. As I said, it takes an AVERAGE of about one hour before I get any real response (and, yes, I have seen the car stop at home (home safe) or crash long before officers ever even begin to respond). Sometimes, cops blow it off entirely... over and over and over. There have been times when I have called to report a suspected drunk driver, and gotten this response: "Thanks for reporting it, we'll send somebody out!" ...and the dispatcher hangs up... without getting any location, vehicle identification, nothing... it's a total brush off, because they generally do not care about actually getting a drunk off the street... they really just like the feel good nature of posting their ad campaign that makes it LOOK like they want citizens to report this.

Any time that I have followed, confronted, pursued, and called 911 back over and over and over and over to please get somebody out to stop this drunk driver... it has resulted in an arrest. However... it takes a LOT of work, at least a dozen calls to 911 before they take it seriously, and a willingness to disregard dispatchers' order to not follow... and at least an hours' worth of work on my part.

My point is... if California Highway Patrol so completely disregards the reporting of drunk drivers--- people actually crashing into stuff---, there is no way in hell they are going to respond to "some kid driving like a maniac."
Old 05-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
I personally would have approched the table he was at, that is if there were adults at it and would have ask if HE was theirs. At that, I would have ask to talk to them, privately, without him around.....and would have let them know MY experience with their son. And let them take care of it.

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 05-25-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
I personally would have approched the table he was at, that is if therewere adults at it and would have ask if HE was theirs. At that, I would have ask to talk to them, privately, without him ariund.....and would have let them know MY experience with their son. Anhd let them take care of it.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Scalded Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
I personally would have approched the table he was at, that is if therewere adults at it and would have ask if HE was theirs. At that, I would have ask to talk to them, privately, without him ariund.....and would have let them know MY experience with their son. Anhd let them take care of it.

Would have been a good way to approach it, but (A) no parents in sight, and (B) the same parents who carelessly gave the kid a Camaro are not likely to "take it back" because some cranky dude told them that their kid drives like an a55hole. And, for an adult to approach a spoiled teenager in CA is simply foolhardy... I'd find myself locked up for harassing a minor if I did anything less than give him $50 as a gift.

There's a million things that "could" be done... but my guess is that the only realistic solution is going to be a pile of tickets, or a crash to stop this kiddo.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Two Words.

Dash Cams, front & back. Already, you're seeing people post videos about people doing idiot things, that are leading to an arrest or prosecution for said behavior.

Heck, if you're the one driving like a douchebag, remember that everyone has cameras these days, and it isn't unlikely they might be taking video. And, it's just going to become more prevelant.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
These little jerks have existed from the beginning of time. I 1976 my father sold his 1974 440 Road Runner to a man who bought it for his 17 year old son. One week later he hit a telephone pole and died on impact.

In 1991 this kid in my high school got a brand new Camaro RS in teal w/ teal wheels. By the time the year was over the car had a ripped front bumper, both rear rockers smashed in, huge rear window busted out. This kid was a rich daddy having little druggy.

Another kid gets a new Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5" lift. He jumped it and bent his front axle.

They are everywhere, every time. These kids need to start with a job, not new cars.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Well son of a gun, slap of the knee, wiggle the finger, and call me crazy. BUT it done looks like my post did mean something and did stick in the heads of people. At least one person.

When this kid kills himself and possibly takes others down with him. Be sure to post it here. Because it wasn't "appropriate" for a LEO to post a post like I did. So maybe coming from the regular guy it will be ok (probably won't get the same attention though because no one can be on you for being a public official )

On a more serious note. They should have a maturidy level for Camaros. I am glad you and your wife are ok. Unfortunately you are a target for those kids bc you drive a nice car and they want to beat a nice car. Can't wait until he gets some alcohol in him and we see how that goes.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
Scalded Dog

Yeah... I had a friend in high school who inherited a boatload of money on his 18th birthday. Within months, he had bought new, and subsequently wrecked, an IROC, a 4X4 Ranger, and two other cars (I don't remember what kinds). Last car was a Corvette, which he lost in a poker game. Last time I saw the guy, he borrowed $2 from me, so he could put a few drops of gas in his girlfriend's mom's POS Monza, so he could get home.... not a penny left after one year.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
Scalded Dog

Well, I, for one (and there are many others) very much appreciated your post about the ricer kid. Gives everybody pause for thought, and, in some very remote way, may even be the reason for some other NOT to end up that way. Detractors saying that your post was "inappropriate" see political correctness as far more important than facts, knowledge, and real world problems.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Yeah... I had a friend in high school who inherited a boatload of money on his 18th birthday. Within months, he had bought new, and subsequently wrecked, an IROC, a 4X4 Ranger, and two other cars (I don't remember what kinds). Last car was a Corvette, which he lost in a poker game. Last time I saw the guy, he borrowed $2 from me, so he could put a few drops of gas in his girlfriend's mom's POS Monza, so he could get home.... not a penny left after one year.
It's funny how when it doesn't cost these kids any work or money to get these nice cars, they treat them like hacky sacks. Parents need to do what my parents did. They bought me a nice new car my sophomore year but I had to work over the summer to pay for the insurance which stays affordable only if I drove carefully.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Well, I, for one (and there are many others) very much appreciated your post about the ricer kid. Gives everybody pause for thought, and, in some very remote way, may even be the reason for some other NOT to end up that way. Detractors saying that your post was "inappropriate" see political correctness as far more important than facts, knowledge, and real world problems.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote