Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Cali_Camaro_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS (BLACK)
Cutout electrical problem

Hey, so I just got back some cutouts from DMH. Went to go put them in and once all done, no sound of the motor or doesnt open, nothing.

Checked the fuze where its connected at and its good, also switched 2 around just to try it out still nothing.

I dont have a amp gauge to see where there isnt power so any thoughts?
could it be that both motors of the cutouts are fried? I also "think" I heard the 1st time a split sec of the motor very quiet and then a quiet click

Thx for any tips or suggestions
1SS: Dnyatech LT Headers | Dynamaxx CatBack | Diablo Tune | Intake | Pfatds Springs | Heritage Grill | Blacked out Bezels | Black Chevy Sign | Blacked out Wheels | Tint | HIDs w/Error code Eliminator | Green Dome/Trunk Light |

Cali_Camaro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
The DMH cutouts look a lot like the QTPs, which I consider to be low quality. If I had to do it over again, I would go noweeds. I didn't know about noweeds when I got the QTPs.

My QTPs have stopped working several times. I've had a motor seemingly die, and one that wouldn't close all the way. Those died within a couple months of installation and were replaced for free. Now that they're a couple years old, I have one that only works if the wire by the motor is "jiggled." The wire has a break where it goes into the motor.

If you don't have any tools, the best way to check that it all works is to uninstall it from your car and bench test it. Just wire it up to a 12V source, you can use your car battery, and lay out everything on the table. Make sure the switch can move the motors on your bench. If it doesn't, you can try hooking 12v up directly to the wire, thus bypassing the switch to see if the motors move. That will let you know if your switch is bad or not.

A tool I think would be perfect for this job, and something I would like to add to my toolbox is Power Probe III. It allows you to check continuity and because it plugs into your battery, it can act as a 12v power source, thus bypassing potentially faulty wiring.

jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Cali_Camaro_SS

K thx for the tips, i guess ill just go get the wires tested and see where the power is not going, I just got them back new LOL so wack!
thx again though
1SS: Dnyatech LT Headers | Dynamaxx CatBack | Diablo Tune | Intake | Pfatds Springs | Heritage Grill | Blacked out Bezels | Black Chevy Sign | Blacked out Wheels | Tint | HIDs w/Error code Eliminator | Green Dome/Trunk Light |

Old 06-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Cali_Camaro_SS

Ok so quick update
I used a test light and the switch is getting power, then I unhooked the switch and checked the harness that also gets power.

I then went under the car and checked the left cutout and it has power open and close. then I checked the right one and that one gets no power at all. unplugged it then checked the harness connection and it has no power either

1) would 1 not working cuase the other not to open either?
2) does that mean some where in the harness there is a split?
3) can I just hook up any type of wire directly to the motor or does it have to have a certain gauge?

Thx again!