Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
completely baffled, any ideas?

My car has just about shit the bed and I am somewhat baffled. Here is some backround. Mods include TSP VVT-3 cam and supporting mods. DT longtubes, Airraid cai, Solo Mach XL exhaust and 3600 stall converter.

Car was running great after cam install and tunning with the exception of occasional stalling mostly in reverse although sometimes in drive and not very consistenly. Several weeks ago was the converter installation and re-tunning, after datalogging and tweaking it seems I have a loose converter and it may also be causing the occassional stalling.

Yesterday the stalling seemed worse than normal so as usuall I scanned the DTC'S to see if there are any codes, none.

On the way home things went bad. There was a shedded tire all over the road so everyone was avoiding the pieces, then I start feeling a bit of a thump so I figured I picked up a piece of the belt and got a flat, started to pull over and then the backfiring begins and the car is running like shit, I was right at an exit to a mall so pulled off, as I entered the lot the car clears up and starts running fine so back on my way as I am not far from my house, not more than 1/4 mile it acts up again, I don't hear anything mechanically wrong so am thinking it's electrical or fuel related. It is now getting progressively worse but I am home.

I hook up the scanner, no codes, at no time has an engine light, reduced power or stabiltrac meassage come up. So now I'm confused. As I go to close my garage door I notice the smell of raw gas and something in my driveway, it appers to be the metal substrate from the left side converter, BLOWN CONVERTER!! I start checking for a fuel leak just to make sure and see nothing external so I pulled the plugs to see if perhaps something is flooding the engine but the plugs look fine, no evidence of a problem.

I go to jack it up and my jack won't fit because my rear tire is flat with a bolt in it yet my TPS indicator never came on, checked to see if the TPS's are working in the DIC, nope. So I yank the converter and it is fine, then figured I have a resonated x-pipe so maybe it's the right converter, yank it out, it's fine as well. So I am assuming the resonated pipe has a similar metalic packing as does the converter. As I pulled the converters I noticed the smell of raw fuel in the exhaust system. Don't smell any fuel in the oil so hook up my computer with HP Tuners and check for DIC's with that, none. I scan it and see the readings for my O2 sensors are way out of wack.

I'm wondering if the x-pipe's packing is causing a restriction and that is why the O2's are out of wack or if the blown x-pipe is the result of a different problem

The thing that has got me the most baffled is no stored codes, no check engine light, not service stabilitrac , reduced power or TPS readings.

Any thoughts?
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
What are the ltfts like?
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
What are the ltfts like?
They are out of wack as well. Here is a quick screen shot.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Rhino79

CHeck bank 2 for vaccum and or exhaust leaks, also check plugs and wires. Does it feel like its misfiring or have a dead miss? If so use a water bottle to spray your primaries one at a time and see if you can narrow it down to which cylinder(s) are down.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
CFD

Quote:
CHeck bank 2 for vaccum and or exhaust leaks, also check plugs and wires. Does it feel like its misfiring or have a dead miss? If so use a water bottle to spray your primaries one at a time and see if you can narrow it down to which cylinder(s) are down.
I have checked plugs, wires, vacum leaks, all of the obvious stuff and see nothing wrong. All the plugs look fine, no evidence of fowling, no detectable exhaust or vaccum leaks. It misfires, backfires but does not feel like it's isolated to one cylinder. When disconnecting the coils on B2 one at a time there is no detectable difference in the way the car runs, in fact when disconnecting the whole right bank there is very little difference. What ever is wrong it is affecting all of B2

Last edited by CFD; 07-04-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Rhino79

What about 02 wiring? Maybe the extension has a bad connection or burnt on the header tube?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
CFD

Quote:
What about 02 wiring? Maybe the extension has a bad connection or burnt on the header tube?

As mentioned, I've checked everything I can get at and see no problems. Wiring to the 02 sensor appears to be fine, connections appear to be ok as well.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Steve@HPE

Drives: 2014 SS/RS
It sounds like 1+ of the cylinders is not firing. Pull the plugs and look for any that look wet, or check the temp of the header pipes coming off the heads (with the car running). Those that are "cold" relative to the others are not firing correctly.

I suspect it's a loose coil pack connection, bad plug wire, or a bad coil pack.
Steve@HPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@HPE View Post
It sounds like 1+ of the cylinders is not firing. Pull the plugs and look for any that look wet, or check the temp of the header pipes coming off the heads (with the car running). Those that are "cold" relative to the others are not firing correctly.

I suspect it's a loose coil pack connection, bad plug wire, or a bad coil pack.
I have checked and double checked all connections and see no visible problems and as mentioned the whole right bank is weak. After idleing for several minutes each primary tube is slightly warm and consistent to each other, the left bank is hot as should be.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
CFD

I do know for a fact I have a blown resonated x-pipe as every once in a while another piece comes out of the left side exhaust, this is what I have gathered in my driveway. If it is a cause or result I am not sure of.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I had something similar once and found the MAF sensor connector had come loose. I plugged it back in and it was again normal. Maybe your's is connected but has a loose connection? Just a thought.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
CFD

Now this is getting interesting. After typing the previous message my cell phone rings and I hear an echo of the wringer, no one is there but I faintly hear someone talking in the backround, I then realize my bluetooth connected my phone to the car and figured I forgot my key in it, which would be a first, well the key is in my pocket, I answered the phone and but could not disconnect from the car so I put they key in and now see that my TPS shows a flat tire and my check engine light is on, checked for DTC's and show p0174 FTS lean B2 and P0354 Ig, coil #4. Where as it has not shown any codes untill now I am thinking it is something electrical but I have checked all wiring I can reach.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I had something similar once and found the MAF sensor connector had come loose. I plugged it back in and it was again normal. Maybe your's is connected but has a loose connection? Just a thought.
Because of the intermitent stalling I was suspect that it could be a bad maf, I changed it a couple of weeks ago, when I had this problem yesterday I put back my original maf but it made no difference so I've been there as well.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Rhino79

Some of those codes have to have x amount of ignition cycles before it will actually set a hard fault.