Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
My new US Gear 4.10s...

Got my US Gear 4.10s installed today and wow what a difference! The car feels 500 pounds lighter and pulls like a beast. I know this has been said many times on here but the Camaro really should of come with 3.91s or 4.10s from the factory. Also, 6th gear is finally useable, at 65 MPH I'm turning 1800 RPM and at 70MPH its right at 2000 RPM.

I had the install done by Unitrax in Anaheim, CA. These guys are real pros and really took their time to get it right. Jose did my install and does awesome work, the gears make zero noise. I told them I would be beating on the gears with occasional drag racing and tracking the car at the Autoclub Speedway. They told me no problem and fully stand behind their work.

Total cost for the install was $982.00. The gears were $450.00, labor was $410.00 and the rest on gear oil and misc stuff. Smokin deal....no special Camaro tax at this shop...lol.

Mike at Diablosport edited my JRE tune for me for free. A quick phone call and 15 minutes later he emailed me the updated tune file.

Here is the shops information.
Toll Free: 1.800.622.4327 Local: 1.714.630.4327 Fax: 1.714.630.5851
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
1280 N Sunshine Way Anaheim CA 92806-1746 • Email: info@GoUNITRAX.com

Ask for Devin, he is an encyclopedia of gear knowledge and really great to deal with.

Here are some pics...enjoy!
Matt

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
wow, I definitely want 4.10's
Old 07-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
im going to have them install my 3.70's next week. how long did it take for them do do it?

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
ss/rs-matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
im going to have them install my 3.70's next week. how long did it take for them do do it?
About 6 hours, start to finish and thats with me hanging around the shop asking questions and taking pictures...lol.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Congratulations on the gear install. I think I've decided that I will be going this route also. I don't think I will ever be able to afford one of these $6k full rearend conversions. Especially, not all at once. So, as long as I can piece it together slowly, and maybe buy used axle and driveshaft upgrades, that will make this whole rearend upgrade much more feasible. Plus, I just discovered that Eaton/Detroit makes a direct bolt-in True-Trac Posi Unit for our cars now. I think that would be a nice upgrade too while doing the gear swap. Please keep us updated on your break-in progress, and let us know if you start hearing any gear noise. Thanks!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
I've run 4.10s in all of my Mustangs, and it adds so much to the car. My last set was also US Gear. Bought them off the web for like $150, and installed them myself. If a tune wasn't required for the install, I'd have done it already. Sadly, I'm going to have to wait in pain for at least a couple of years, or until I say screw it and just do it. I just can't justify tossing a 5-year warranty out the window...yet.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
If a tune wasn't required for the install, I'd have done it already. Sadly, I'm going to have to wait in pain for at least a couple of years, or until I say screw it and just do it. I just can't justify tossing a 5-year warranty out the window...yet.
I know exactly what you mean....I've been trying my best to stretch my warranty out as long as possible. It's been 3-years now, and I've had ZERO problems with my drivetrain, so I don't think I can wait much longer. I'm hoping to do headers/cats and rearend upgrade this coming winter....(if funds authorization is granted by the "Queen")!!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
joey0480

Drives: 2013 Evo X
Agree on those gears completely. I felt that was the one thing lacking with the camaro. My charger came with 3.91 and wow...what a world of difference that is.

How does the top end feel now?

SOLD:Team L99
ADM Race Intake and Scoop
Vmax Ported TB
Borla-S axlebacks
ARH 1 7/8 Long Tubes and Hi Flo Cats
160 Thermostat
Pfdat front and rear sways and endlinks
Gold Pearl Powdercoated calipers
Gloss black CFD strut covers
GM gill stripes
******** 12" Stealth Kicker Package
joey0480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Wow, thats a smokin hot deal. Thanks for the info. Matt, are you taking you Camaro to the California camaro meet at Bakersfield/Buttonwillow in October?
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
ss/rs-matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Congratulations on the gear install. I think I've decided that I will be going this route also. I don't think I will ever be able to afford one of these $6k full rearend conversions. Especially, not all at once. So, as long as I can piece it together slowly, and maybe buy used axle and driveshaft upgrades, that will make this whole rearend upgrade much more feasible. Plus, I just discovered that Eaton/Detroit makes a direct bolt-in True-Trac Posi Unit for our cars now. I think that would be a nice upgrade too while doing the gear swap. Please keep us updated on your break-in progress, and let us know if you start hearing any gear noise. Thanks!!!
I think a full conversion is way over kill unless your a pro racer with 900hp. The US Gear set should be more than enough for most of us and like you said eaton us now making a posi for it and also I think wave trac is.

I'm just going to put the car through some heat cycles for the first 500, then I'm going to beat on it.

I'll keep you guys updated...

Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
ss/rs-matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
Wow, thats a smokin hot deal. Thanks for the info. Matt, are you taking you Camaro to the California camaro meet at Bakersfield/Buttonwillow in October?
I wasn't aware of the meet. Where can I find the info? I will be taking the car to auto club speedway in august to run the "Roval".

Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Excellent review and information. Well done and congrats!

Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
ss/rs-matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey0480 View Post
Agree on those gears completely. I felt that was the one thing lacking with the camaro. My charger came with 3.91 and wow...what a world of difference that is.

How does the top end feel now?
It really does help get this big car moving. I haven't wound it out yet on top end but I have a feeling I'll lift before she stops pulling.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
ss/rs-matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
I know exactly what you mean....I've been trying my best to stretch my warranty out as long as possible. It's been 3-years now, and I've had ZERO problems with my drivetrain, so I don't think I can wait much longer. I'm hoping to do headers/cats and rearend upgrade this coming winter....(if funds authorization is granted by the "Queen")!!!!
Do it! And tell "the Queen" that "the King" is getting headers and wants his feet rubbed. Haha.

Ok, maybe leave the feet rub part out. lol.