Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Question about the 1LE paint scheme

Are the hood and spoiler actually painted, or vinyl decal?

I want one, bad, but I hate to say if it's a vinyl decal thatis going to be a very big possibility of a deal breaker, sure it's fine now, 15 years down the road when it starts shrinking and cracking however.....
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
even if they were painted.....having a flat/semi gloss hood puts off the enitre car off for me.....I've had a car with a hood like that before.....NEVER AGAIN.....and I would never buy a new car and have to have it painted right away. not gonna do it.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Elykson
Custom One Off

Drives: 2010 Chicago Blackhawks Edition #1
A deal breaker? Just remove it and/or rewrap it. What's the big deal?
Old 07-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elykson View Post
A deal breaker? Just remove it and/or rewrap it. What's the big deal?
if it PAINTED......NO .......if its vinyl.....the dealer would have to remove it before I would except the car.....and after a very good inspection of the cars finish after its removal.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
if it PAINTED......NO .......if its vinyl.....the dealer would have to remove it before I would except the car.....and after a very good inspection of the cars finish after its removal.
So you expect the dealer to take the risk of damaging the paint before you buy it? On a almost $40k car? Your kidding right? I want to meet the dealer willing to risk that one... Lol
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
even if they were painted.....having a flat/semi gloss hood puts off the enitre car off for me.....I've had a car with a hood like that before.....NEVER AGAIN.....and I would never buy a new car and have to have it painted right away. not gonna do it.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
So you expect the dealer to take the risk of damaging the paint before you buy it? On a almost $40k car? Your kidding right? I want to meet the dealer willing to risk that one... Lol
The dealer will probably do it but they won't be responsible for any damage it may cause to the paint. At least that's what I would expect from the dealer.

I myself don't care for the hood decals, especially the fender stripes.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
jimmy5

I like the flat accent. But if it's just a huge sticker that's going to have to be instantly done right, why get it? I think it would actually be cheaper to paint it flat black than do a decal on the parts anyway for GM.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
I remember reading one of the spec sheets on it and it said something like "hood wrap" which leads me to believe it is a vinyl wrap. If it is actually fully painted under that wrap is a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
The dealer will probably do it but they won't be responsible for any damage it may cause to the paint. At least that's what I would expect from the dealer.

I myself don't care for the hood decals, especially the fender stripes.
There are no fender stripes. The hood is a wrap and the general consenus from things I've read on this forum is that it can be removed without damage to the hood paint. Some are hoping that a hood wrap delete option will be available. I'm keeping mine as it comes from the factory. The front splitter and rear SS spoiler are painted smoke grey.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
jimmy5

Well that sucks, gonna have to reconsider the purchase, unless they do infact as you say, have a wrap delete option.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
There are no fender stripes. The hood is a wrap and the general consenus from things I've read on this forum is that it can be removed without damage to the hood paint. Some are hoping that a hood wrap delete option will be available. I'm keeping mine as it comes from the factory. The front splitter and rear SS spoiler are painted smoke grey.
The 1LE does have stripes on the fenders. They come down from the hood and down the fender, just above the front wheel. Looks like hell. Or at least they did on the concept pics that I saw. Maybe they changed it?
Old 07-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
Well that sucks, gonna have to reconsider the purchase, unless they do infact as you say, have a wrap delete option.
Your gonna reconsider purchasing the car because it has a flat black hood? That car isn't made for its looks, it's made for the performance minded enthusiast. I myself don't like the hood either but I would still buy it and deal with that part later.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
jimmy5

It has 0 more horsepower than a SS. I am a fan of the better suspension and trans, but I wont be road racing this thing, ever, so those are things I could live without and save a few thousand over with a 2SS.
If I'm going to be throwing 40 large at something, it better have everything I want within reason. Why double pay for a hood?