Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
VAMX T/B AND MPG INCREASE

Though I would start a new thread for just this, and for the heck of it.
I track my mpg/costs and so far looking at it today on the normal drive I/ve gone from 14.4 to 15.3 .Usually always 13.8-14 in the cooler weather and over the last 8 months, still breaking in and all. Then lately 14.4 in June-july, probably breaking in more. All stop and go city driving for 8 miles one way so not good for mpg. Have 7800 miles on her now. Filled up yesterday, done 10 miles same drive and reads 15.3.No driving changes or other mods. and cai didnt do squat for mpg either.Never ever did that before and I am shifting as I always do. I do notice easier acceleration with the t/b and your foot isnt into it as much in stop and go to get her off the line so thats probably it . Will continue to watch it and check back after more miles.will do a freeway chaeck also to see if that changed.So far
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
The main reason for mpg improvement at cruise speed on a properly ported TB is theres less blade angle requirement for same rpm as before. Ive noticed in engineering mode on my car theres less thottle position percentage compared to the stock TB and in return not using the same fuel/spark map @ cruise.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
The main reason for mpg improvement at cruise speed on a properly ported TB is theres less blade angle requirement for same rpm as before. Ive noticed in engineering mode on my car theres less thottle position percentage compared to the stock TB and in return not using the same fuel/spark map @ cruise.
Makes perfect sense, and thats in stop and go.Be fun to see the mpg readout on the freeway as I have a baseline already, or close anyway
Old 07-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I do mostly freeway driving and have seen no change in mpg since installing the VMax. I've probably put 25,000 miles on that throttle body.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Had the same mods on my V6. T/B didnt help aorund town but added about 1mpg on freeway tests at steady 65, but not under normal driving habits though

My best v6 mpg, same drive as the ss, same mods was only 16 mpg, less then 1 mpg better!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
I do mostly freeway driving and have seen no change in mpg since installing the VMax. I've probably put 25,000 miles on that throttle body.
I 'll see over the long haul and report back, but will be hard to know for sure the reasons for any changes. I figure its the t/b as nothing else changed overnight. I did notice a very noticeable change when I added it, where as the cai was a subtle change.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
I think Bo is correct. On avg we see from 1-3 but usually as a standard 1-2, but most will drive a little more aggressive so it negates it.

Now our oil separating catchcan, we see a solid 1-3 avg and more on the fleets we install these on (vans and light trucks). They could care less about performance, they want fuel savings and eliminating the oil ingestion allows a cleaner burn and less knock so the timing can remain advanced.

We tell them about long term savings as far as reducuing valve gunk deposits, etc., but thet just want to see fuel economy now so their happy.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
I think Bo is correct. On avg we see from 1-3 but usually as a standard 1-2, but most will drive a little more aggressive so it negates it.

Now our oil separating catchcan, we see a solid 1-3 avg and more on the fleets we install these on (vans and light trucks). They could care less about performance, they want fuel savings and eliminating the oil ingestion allows a cleaner burn and less knock so the timing can remain advanced.

We tell them about long term savings as far as reducuing valve gunk deposits, etc., but thet just want to see fuel economy now so their happy.

Trip home back down to 14.3 but in terrible traffic, not norma.

For me catch can did nothing for mpg