Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
The dreaded....rocker panels!

So before I got really into detailing I more often then not forgot about really detailing my rockers....now I'm paying for it. There's dirt and etc that feels like its bonded with the paint Claying hardly helps, waterless wash (after a wash) and a Adams ww towel gets some of it out but not good enough for me. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 08-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
APC, let is dwell, but not dry. Keep claying it, every time you do, more will come off.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
APC, let is dwell, but not dry. Keep claying it, every time you do, more will come off.

That was a shitty explanation. Wait til I'm on my computer lol

Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Surf city garage total grime destroyer I think is what it's called. Get a bottle from advanced auto, spray it on the rockers, let it dwell for 5 minutes then agitate. The stuff should just fall off if you have a pressure washer and don't want to agitate it. It is great on tar, road paint and bugs.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Thanks guys, I will defiantly try those things except for the gasoline haha idk about that :p
Old 08-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
If you want the most out of claying, get that speedy prep towel everyone is using. That thing sounds amazing. You'll get all that crap off with the clay and products mentioned in the other posts, don't worry... and I wouldn't worry too much about the appearance or paint condition of your rocker panels. As long as it's there and still has decent shine, it's good. I mean really, who other than the owners of premium Concourse d'elegance trailer queens pays attention to swirl marks on rocker panels?
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I didn't want to freak you all out but I've used gasoline in past to remove road crud. Our Equinox was sprayed by a cement truck and by the time we got home it wouldn't come off. I tried everything without success. A friend suggested gasoline to me. I figured, "after all its a solvent" and doesn't destroy the clear-coat (my experience). It worked almost effortlessly. I did wash and wax after to ensure no long term residue remained on the finish. Just sayin.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Out4it
Banned

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
Surf city garage total grime destroyer I think is what it's called. Get a bottle from advanced auto, spray it on the rockers, let it dwell for 5 minutes then agitate. The stuff should just fall off if you have a pressure washer and don't want to agitate it. It is great on tar, road paint and bugs.
Out4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
If you want the most out of claying, get that speedy prep towel everyone is using. That thing sounds amazing. You'll get all that crap off with the clay and products mentioned in the other posts, don't worry... and I wouldn't worry too much about the appearance or paint condition of your rocker panels. As long as it's there and still has decent shine, it's good. I mean really, who other than the owners of premium Concourse d'elegance trailer queens pays attention to swirl marks on rocker panels?
That's ironic you said that I'm about to purchase that awesome towel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrammer View Post
I didn't want to freak you all out but I've used gasoline in past to remove road crud. Our Equinox was sprayed by a cement truck and by the time we got home it wouldn't come off. I tried everything without success. A friend suggested gasoline to me. I figured, "after all its a solvent" and doesn't destroy the clear-coat (my experience). It worked almost effortlessly. I did wash and wax after to ensure no long term residue remained on the finish. Just sayin.
Good to know, when it comes to other vehicles of mine I'm generally like whatever works and doesn't hurt it but it's just different on the Camaro to me