Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
InfernoMan2011

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 1LT
RX Catch Can & Varam Filter questions...

I am about to do some upgrades & maintainence on the Camaro and need some feedback from those of you who already have these products.

1.) RX Catch Can - I've seen mixed info on this. Is there a 2-stage version for the V6, or only a single stage? I will be be ordering one of these and need to install it on the drivers side, mounted to the post where my stock air box was mounted. If I order from Apex, what is the bracket called I need to choose for driver-side mounting? Where is the best place for me to order from if I live in Arkansas? I've seen a couple of places selling these, but didn't find any links to order directly from RX.

My car is inferno orange with "Frost White Pearl" painted stripes. I am going with the same theme under the hood (orange with white accents). I was thinking of ordering the catch can in white and then hitting it with a couple of coats of the pearlescent midcoat (since the base coat is basically a flat white) to acheive the frost white pearl look on the catch can. Is the RX logo on the can a sticker, or is it painted on? Thoughts on this idea? I will be ordering the oil breather cap as well in inferno orange. Is the filter color on the caps color matched, or is the filter element just white and the metal cap is painted ?

2. Varamram CAI - I have had this on my car for a year and love it. The Green Filter I received with my Vararam is the basic white colored filter. It is about time to clean and re-oil the filter so I will be ordering cleaning and oiling kit from Green Filter. I was thinking of going with the orange oil this time to color match the filter, but on the orange oil says for use only on orange filter elements. Is this just to keep people from ordering the wrong oil color? Will the orange oil actually be dark enough if I use it on a white filter? Or should I just go with the clear oil? Another option is dying the filter element with Orange Rit Dye, but I'm not sure how long this will take and the Camaro is my daily driver.

Thanks for any answers and suggestions. I hope to get some stuff ordered today and finally have some fun working on the car. I have been good and haven't done any mods since adding the Vararam last year

Attached is a photo of my engine bay for perspective on my color scheme.

-infernoman2011
InfernoMan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
cntryman77

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoMan2011 View Post
I am about to do some upgrades & maintainence on the Camaro and need some feedback from those of you who already have these products.

1.) RX Catch Can - I've seen mixed info on this. Is there a 2-stage version for the V6, or only a single stage? I will be be ordering one of these and need to install it on the drivers side, mounted to the post where my stock air box was mounted. If I order from Apex, what is the bracket called I need to choose for driver-side mounting? Where is the best place for me to order from if I live in Arkansas? I've seen a couple of places selling these, but didn't find any links to order directly from RX.

My car is inferno orange with "Frost White Pearl" painted stripes. I am going with the same theme under the hood (orange with white accents). I was thinking of ordering the catch can in white and then hitting it with a couple of coats of the pearlescent midcoat (since the base coat is basically a flat white) to acheive the frost white pearl look on the catch can. Is the RX logo on the can a sticker, or is it painted on? Thoughts on this idea? I will be ordering the oil breather cap as well in inferno orange. Is the filter color on the caps color matched, or is the filter element just white and the metal cap is painted ?

2. Varamram CAI - I have had this on my car for a year and love it. The Green Filter I received with my Vararam is the basic white colored filter. It is about time to clean and re-oil the filter so I will be ordering cleaning and oiling kit from Green Filter. I was thinking of going with the orange oil this time to color match the filter, but on the orange oil says for use only on orange filter elements. Is this just to keep people from ordering the wrong oil color? Will the orange oil actually be dark enough if I use it on a white filter? Or should I just go with the clear oil? Another option is dying the filter element with Orange Rit Dye, but I'm not sure how long this will take and the Camaro is my daily driver.

Thanks for any answers and suggestions. I hope to get some stuff ordered today and finally have some fun working on the car. I have been good and haven't done any mods since adding the Vararam last year

-infernoman2011
I only have the 1-stage can & it's fine...I'm not sure about the drivers side mounting bracket, but it's what I have. The Rx is a sticker, but when I pulled mine off, it peeled some paint off too..I used some leftover viynl I had from an engine cover kit to dress it up some & cover the peeled paint area

As far as the Vararam, the dying takes no longer than the cleaning. When I did mine, I cleaned it, then dyed it per the instructions (takes about 30 min.)...then you rinse the dye off, let it dry, then oil it...done...I clean mine in the evening & let it dry overnight when I clean it...I ordered the orange oil as well, but I never used it on the white...I dyed mine before I even put it on the car...here's a pic

I also went to the hardware store & got some stainless steel thumb screws to replace the wing nut screws
Old 08-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoMan2011 View Post

Attached is a photo of my engine bay for perspective on my color scheme.

-infernoman2011
Rx has their website up now:

http://www.revxtreme.com/

The filter on the breather valve will be orange just like the paint. The filter oil should be fine on your white filter; however, you can use RIT dye to get the exact shade of orange you want on your filter and just keep using the clear oil - that's what I did when I died mine blue.
Attached Images

ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
The_Grinch

Drives: car
Name:  EngineBay.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  195.2 KB

Not sure how much you can see will try to get a close up tonight.
The_Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote