Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Hired Gun
Wild Man

Drives: 2010 Camaro
LS3 resonators on L99??

I have LT's and the GM off road or race axel back. However I still have the L99 huge resonators from the lt's (no cats, and tuned) to the axel back. My question is, I have a set of short LS3 resonators from my muffler shop. Could I replace the L99 with the LS3 and gain better sound, or should I get an X pipe?

I like the sound now, but want it a bit louder.

Thanks in advance.
Jared
2010 Camaro Black with White Stripes, Jannetty Racing Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, Long Tube Headers, GMPP Axel Back, Emblem Pros Custom "VOODOO" Under hood Bow tie, Chrome Gill Inserts, HUD plate, Sparks Performance White SS front and rear Plate MPD-1 Spoiler
Hired Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
I would think the LS3 would be better than the L99 junk, but X pipe would be what I would do.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
The SwiftChancelor

Drives: SGM, 2011 2SS/RS, L99
Just had a similar problem. I have headers and Solo w/ j-pipes axleback exhaust. I had the L99 stock h-pipe which I thought had resonators( maybe it does). I thought in getting the resonated x-pipe it would be a little louder but not as loud as if I went with the Tru-x. Well, I was wrong, the resonated X isn't any louder than the stock L99's. If you have a LS3 setup I'd say use it, it's got to sound louder than the stock L99 otherwise I'd get the Tru-X. The resonated-x gives mine more of a muscle car sound but not as loud while I think a straight x-pipe gives more of a race car sound. Happy trails and good luck to you.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I removed my stock LS3 resonators and installed a straight through X pipe at the same time, and noticed little, IF ANY difference in exhaust volume... I was really disapoiunted. This is with stock cats, and manifolds, with a dynomax #39494 axleback.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Hired Gun
Wild Man

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Thanks guys. I will try it in a few weeks and report back. I just cant see spending money on an exhaust set up right now. I just want a bit louder. It should be louder since the L99 stuff is huge. If nothing else, VooDoo will have gone on a weight loss plan.
2010 Camaro Black with White Stripes, Jannetty Racing Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, Long Tube Headers, GMPP Axel Back, Emblem Pros Custom "VOODOO" Under hood Bow tie, Chrome Gill Inserts, HUD plate, Sparks Performance White SS front and rear Plate MPD-1 Spoiler
Hired Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
If you choose to take the resonator off, you really need to put a crossover of some sort back on. It's been shown on a couple occasions that no crossover will lose HP and Tq. The X pipe is the most common crossover but you can put a H pipe on there too. I think the general consensus is that the X flows better than the H, although i've yet to see a comparison.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote