Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
100-year-old driver hits 11 near LA school

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The screams of women and children didn't cause a 100-year-old driver to stop as he backed his large powder blue Cadillac onto a sidewalk across from an elementary school and hit 11 people, including nine children.
So people began pounding on his windows screaming for him to stop, a witness said.
Alma Solache said she was buying her children an afterschool snack Wednesday just before the accident outside a South Los Angeles school.
"He was not paying attention," said Solache, 24, adding that it was at least two or three seconds before the vehicle halted and people began pulling children out from beneath the car.
Four of the children were in critical condition when firefighters arrived but they were stabilized and were in serious condition at a hospital, city fire Capt. Jaime Moore said. Everyone was expected to survive, he said.
Children's backpacks, shoes, candy and loose change were strewn about the scene behind a discount grocery store across from Main Street Elementary.
Police said the driver, Preston Carter, was being very cooperative and drugs or alcohol were not a factor in the crash.
Carter talked to television reporters after the crash some five miles southwest of downtown Los Angeles. He said he has a driver's license and will be 101 years old Sept. 5.
"My brakes failed. It was out of control," Carter told KCAL-TV.
Asked about hitting the children, Preston said: "You know I'm sorry about that. I wouldn't do that for nothing on earth. My sympathies for them."
Carter was pulling out of the grocery store parking lot, but instead of backing into the street, he backed onto the sidewalk, police Capt. George Rodriguez said.
"I think it was a miscalculation on his part. The gentleman is elderly," Rodriguez said. "Obviously he is going to have some impairment on his decision making."
Elderly drivers have been involved in other tragedies. In 2003, an 86-year-old man mistakenly stepped on the gas pedal of his car instead of the brake and then panicked, plowing into an open-air market in Santa Monica. Ten people were killed and 63 injured.
According to California's Department of Motor Vehicles, people over age 70 must renew their driver's license in person, rather than via the Internet or by mail. Older drivers can also be required to take a supplemental driving test if they fail a vision exam, or if a police officer, a physician, or a family member raises questions about their ability to drive.
Rodriguez said the collision was being investigated as an accident, and Carter was not under arrest. He has a valid driver's license, Rodriguez said.

What should be the maximum age limit for Senior citizen's to drive? I apologize to the one's on here in advance no disrespect.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
I don't think there should be an age limit since people age differently; HOWEVER, this definitely should be addressed. If there is a minimum age limit (18) there should surely be a maximum.

Maybe have anyone over 65 retake a quick driving test every year or other year.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
I don't think there should be an age limit since people age differently; HOWEVER, this definitely should be addressed. If there is a minimum age limit (18) there should surely be a maximum.

Maybe have anyone over 65 retake a quick driving test every year or other year.

I agree with this; I don't think they should automatically take away your license if your 7X or 8X years old. They should just mandate a driving test every year or every couple years to ensure it's still safe for them to drive.

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
reminds me of the south park episode. it revolves around the exact same scenario.
there should be a limit. my grand mother drives and shes 75 ish. i would never drive with her.
but i cant say the same for some one that drives 100x better and they are 80+
depends the person but there should be a yearly test given
Old 08-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
tahseenmahmood
Mr. Ricer

Drives: Camaro 2LT
101 and still driving !!! i got respect for him .. atleast he is not sitting in the house waiting to die..
I feel bad for the kids though.. i hope they get better soon.. atleast no one died
Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
DayBreaker

Drives: 2004 impala SS
The Brakes failed, my ass. sounds like a BS excuse to me.

DayBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Man, 101 years old. Just think of everything that guy has witnessed over the last 100 years. The invention of instant coffee, bubble gum, ecstasy, the progression of the automobile and aviation industry, NASA, WW1, WW2, Vietnam, desert storm, Kennedy assassination, the list is endless. That's a long, full life.

Hope everyone that was hurt recovers quickly.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
I've always thought that after age 65, drivers should have to have a driving test every couple of years. The real test, at the DMV, with the creepy smelly guy in the passenger seat.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I got a new 40 ton Carrier chiller replacement one time from an old guy that hit D instead of R while backing out of his church one Sunday morning. no one lost their life and I got a nice job out of it. I highly doubt he's driving anymore if he's still alive.

Speaking of retesting or taking their license. If most old people are anything like my grandfather who was 96 at the time, they will drive anyhow. He had three fender benders until my dad ended up talking him into selling the car.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Quackersacker

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
Honestly I think everyone should have to retest for license every 5 years. there are bad drivers at all ages.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
I've always thought that after age 65, drivers should have to have a driving test every couple of years. The real test, at the DMV, with the creepy smelly guy in the passenger seat.
I agree 110%!
Old 08-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
65 is very early to worry retesting. Look up Keith Kauffman or Steve Kinser some time. These Guys are heading to the mid 60 mark and both drive 900HP winged sprint cars and still win races once and a while. I have a friend that is 67 and still drives a tri-axle dump truck. He has the cleanest record in his shop.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
How many more times does stuff like this need to happen before we start placing reasonable retesting rules on seniors?

Problem is that seniors vote...
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #14
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
They really need to crack down on senile old fools behind the wheel. The consequences, and their ignorance, is out of control.

Some old man backed into my GFs SUV in a parking lot. He didn't even realize he was hitting her, just kept on backing in and pushing into the car. Then he even tried to drive off. People seeing this pounded on his window and told him to stop. He finally did, then denied hitting the car and acted like he didn't know what happened.

Even after people finally convinced him he hit her car, when my GF had her insurance call his insurance company, they we're denying that there was any incident.

This stuff is getting rediculous. I can have some sympathy for the elderly and the things they go through, but when they flat out deny/lie or ignore stuff, that pisses me off.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote