Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Much respect to those who serve.

If the documentary mentioned in the comments of this video comes out, going to go see it.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Though Im gratefull for the service, Im at a loss as to why he decided without orders or coordination to aggress a fixed position by himself on a downward slope with no cover in broad daylight.

They maintained the high ground and there appears to be support personel around him as he states to lay supressing fire. Why ignore all those advantages?

I am truly befuddled by this soldiers actions.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

I'm not sure if this explains it, but here's the description from the video:

No rounds penetrated his body armor, and he made it home with no permanent injuries. This happened in Kunar Province, Afghanistan.
*READ* From the cameraman:
" I got a hit a total of 4 times. My helmet cam died and i made it down the mountain on my own. I was also hit in the side of my helmet and my eye pro was shot off of my face. We were doing overwatch on the village to recon and gather intel. I was point heading down the face of the hill with the LT. when we got hit. the rest of the squad was pinned down by machine gun fire. I didn't start the video until a few mins into the firefight for obvious reasons. I came out into the open to draw fire so my squad could get to safety."

"A round struck the tube by my hand of the 203 grenade launcher which knocked it out of my hands. When I picked the rifle back up it was still functional but the grenade launcher tube had a nice sized 7.62 cal bullet hole in it and was rendered useless. "

This footage is part of an ongoing documentation of the war in Afghanistan. Subscribe for more footage uploaded daily.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
I'm not sure if this explains it, but here's the description from the video:

No rounds penetrated his body armor, and he made it home with no permanent injuries. This happened in Kunar Province, Afghanistan.
*READ* From the cameraman:
" I got a hit a total of 4 times. My helmet cam died and i made it down the mountain on my own. I was also hit in the side of my helmet and my eye pro was shot off of my face. We were doing overwatch on the village to recon and gather intel. I was point heading down the face of the hill with the LT. when we got hit. the rest of the squad was pinned down by machine gun fire. I didn't start the video until a few mins into the firefight for obvious reasons. I came out into the open to draw fire so my squad could get to safety."

"A round struck the tube by my hand of the 203 grenade launcher which knocked it out of my hands. When I picked the rifle back up it was still functional but the grenade launcher tube had a nice sized 7.62 cal bullet hole in it and was rendered useless. "

This footage is part of an ongoing documentation of the war in Afghanistan. Subscribe for more footage uploaded daily.

I see that, but Im still at a loss as to why, coming out into the open translated to walking down a hill in the open?

And Ive yet to see sending someone out to draw fire so everyone can run away as an acceptable combat technic.

attack with a smaller force sacrificing it so a larger one can withdraw is different than sending a soldier out into the open, that tends to do exactly what happened, get him wounded in an open position, creating the need to endanger even more of your soldiers to get to him and evac, rendering the whole insane tactic moot.

Lobbing a couble M79's down range would of done enough to draw the gunners attention away from the squad and towards him.

But in the end I wasnt there so you really shouldnt second guess the man in the field, just seems a bit hokey from the video.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

I don't disagree. When I first watched the video, I was pretty much asking why the F*** he was moving down the hill into fire with no cover. Not really sure why he'd try to "draw fire" that way.