Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
SixCyl

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM V6
Suspension Q & A

So I was going to just a start a post about a couple questions that I have concerning suspension mods but I feel that instead of having a bunch of threads to look for, maybe we can have a mini wiki thread dedicated to answering general questions about suspension mods for non technical people such as myself.

Rules to the thread:

Ask questions, get your answers.

Anyway, first questions.

I was surprised by how relatively cheap sway bars are and was looking into the hotchkins F/R bars. However, I noticed they don't come with end links and I see a lot of posts saying that as long as you're replacing the bars may as well do the end links too. I don't race, my car is my daily. I would maybe one day like to take my car to a drag strip but there aren't any nearby. I am also considering just getting a rear bar only as I have seen that rear only vs RF is a better/best situation.

My question then is, what do the end links provide that the oem ones do not? And, for daily do I really need to do R/F or will I feel a big enough difference with just rear?
El gato. Mods: Eagle eye headlights, 18" Axis Sport graphite, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax ported TB, 3/8" Vmax Black-Ice, RX single valve catch can, RX breather, Pedders inserts, Trifecta tune, BBK LTH 304 SS.

art/ärt/Noun. Definition: 5th generation Camaro.
SixCyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixCyl View Post
So I was going to just a start a post about a couple questions that I have concerning suspension mods but I feel that instead of having a bunch of threads to look for, maybe we can have a mini wiki thread dedicated to answering general questions about suspension mods for non technical people such as myself.

Rules to the thread:

Ask questions, get your answers.

Anyway, first questions.

I was surprised by how relatively cheap sway bars are and was looking into the hotchkins F/R bars. However, I noticed they don't come with end links and I see a lot of posts saying that as long as you're replacing the bars may as well do the end links too. I don't race, my car is my daily. I would maybe one day like to take my car to a drag strip but there aren't any nearby. I am also considering just getting a rear bar only as I have seen that rear only vs RF is a better/best situation.

My question then is, what do the end links provide that the oem ones do not? And, for daily do I really need to do R/F or will I feel a big enough difference with just rear?
The major problem with the OEM end links on the 2010-11 cars is that they are only designed to handle the stock bars. They just aren't very robust. Many people early on with daily drivers have bent an OEM link hitting bumps on the road with bigger bars.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
The rear makes the biggest difference, but it doesn't hurt to do the front as well. That and it's cheaper to buy them both then buy them separately.

The OEM end links are pretty shoddy. A number of people have found that using the OEM end links with an aftermarket (stiffer) away bar causes the end link to tear out of the bracket.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
SixCyl

Well...that answers my questions. Sway bars and end links for Christmas!
El gato. Mods: Eagle eye headlights, 18" Axis Sport graphite, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax ported TB, 3/8" Vmax Black-Ice, RX single valve catch can, RX breather, Pedders inserts, Trifecta tune, BBK LTH 304 SS.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
SixCyl

How do I request for this to become a sticky thread?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
If your thread is going to become a sticky more people will have to contribute a lot more information. A great deal of what you're looking for is already available on C5, but lost in the thousands of technical threads. We have a book about the 5th Gen here on C5. This is the index. I hope you find it useful.

Pedders 2010 Chevrolet Camaro Suspension Evaluation

Foundational 5th Gen Required Upgrades

Lowering Coils and Coilovers

Trouble Free, OEM Quiet V6 Lowering

Sway Bars

Suspension Bushes

ZL1 / CTS-V Brake Upgrade for the SS

Wheels and Tires

Bush Timing, Alignment and Torque Specs

Pedders USA Camaro 2.0

Lingenfelter L/28 Tech

5th Gen Wheel Hop and Drag Race Setup

Thermal Management

Running Changes Made to the 5th Gen by Chevrolet

Public Track Test #1

Public Track Test #2 Camaro vs. Mustang Supercar Shootout
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
SixCyl

Right, that's why I'm hoping this thread catches on and can become a general Q&A for suspension. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the book!

Old 10-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
SixCyl

So after reading a bit of the book from above I feel like I learned some stuff, I also have more questions now lol.

Before I start with sway bars should I start at the foundation with bushings? If so which bushings should I go with? It seems that there are a dozen or so different bushings and hundreds of different places to tweak the suspension and while all would be beneficial I'm sure, which are the recommended ones for just a more responsive, better handling daily driver? Also, living in FL I do not want to sacrifice anything that would affect grip (i.e. I wouldn't set my front sway bar to softest and my rear to hardest because of the rain).

Old 10-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Since your a v6, I'd look into the Pedders Street 1 Package. That's for the subframe bushing inserts. You shouldn't need to do very many other bushings in a daily. It's for the v8 big power guys that other bushing replacements will make sense

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
SixCyl

Ok, I checked out the pedders street 1 kit and am leaning to it. But to leave doubts aside, is there any reason to choose the street 1 kit over the BMR street kit (BK20)? They both have the same inserts for the rear, the BMR has differential bushings for wheel hop but not front end inserts like pedders, while pedders has no dif bushings. Pros and cons people? i hope one day I know enough to help someone else out in this, lol.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
The Stig

Differential bushings won't really help with wheel hop, they are more to prevent the diff from moving around while under heavy load. It's the same concept as replacing your OEM engine mounts with solid ones.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
SixCyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Differential bushings won't really help with wheel hop, they are more to prevent the diff from moving around while under heavy load. It's the same concept as replacing your OEM engine mounts with solid ones.
My mistake, that's just what I've been reading around some threads. Ok, and minimizing the movement will allow for consistent transfer of power to the wheels but will also increase cabin noise?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixCyl View Post
My mistake, that's just what I've been reading around some threads. Ok, and minimizing the movement will allow for consistent transfer of power to the wheels but will also increase cabin noise?
I didn't really notice any increased noise after I had mine installed
Old 10-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
SixCyl

Alright, cool. Looks like going with the BMR BK020 package seems pretty comparable to the pedders street 1 package at a lower price. Are there any advantages over having dif bushings compared to the radius bushings or vice versa?

Tags
faq, link ends, suspension, sway bars