Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 09-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
I hate 18 wheelers with retread tires!

So today I was on I-35 in San Antonio about 10 car legnths behind and in the far left lane, when all of a sudden I see a bunch of other cars swirve. Well I found out that they were trying to avoid, the rain of tire tread getting spit out from the truck ahead of us. I did not have the chance to be so lucky, I was forced to drive over and get hit by it while in the ZL-1.
When i go back to the place I was staying at I could see some damage to the exhaust heat shield. On the passenger side i was being held in with only of 2 rivets and bent up bad.
So I figured I would call my insurance company and have them send me to a shop that could look at it closer. As I'm on the phone I see that not only was the heat shield damaged, so was the diffuser, both fog lights, front lip spoiler, passanger side skirt and some stuff under the car.
So Friday the insurance adjuster will looke at it and make a judgement about what I think needs to be replaced and what will.
I can drive it for now, but i hate to see my car looking like crap as it goes down the road.

So di I hate retread tires and truckers that use them. YES I DO!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
So today I was on I-35 in San Antonio about 10 car legnths behind and in the far left lane, when all of a sudden I see a bunch of other cars swirve. Well I found out that they were trying to avoid, the rain of tire tread getting spit out from the truck ahead of us. I did not have the chance to be so lucky, I was forced to drive over and get hit by it while in the ZL-1.
When i go back to the place I was staying at I could see some damage to the exhaust heat shield. On the passenger side i was being held in with only of 2 rivets and bent up bad.
so I figured I would call my insurance company and have them send me to a shop that could look at it closer. As I'm on the phone I see that not onlywas the heat shield damaged, so was the diffuser, both fog lights, front lip spoiler, passanger side skirt and some stuff under the car.
So Friday the insurance adjuster will looke at it and make a judgement about what I think needs to be replaced and what will.
I can drive it for now, but i hate to see my car looking like crap as it goes down the road.

Actually trucking companies. Most truckers don't get to choose. I HATED hauling around retreads. I'd always try to find a trailer without them. If I was able to get one without I'd go the whole summer and never have a problem. If not, I"d blow out 3 or 4 per summer.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
that blows. right before I got rid of my 300c the head of a pitchfork flew out of the back of a truck with bunch of crap in it. a car hits it spins into my lane and I hit it. side skirt come off the car at 65mph. I though my tires were going to be flat but they were fine.

I fixed it all myself for less than issurance would charge but it sucked. Same week my Dart was coming in so I needed to fix it to trade it in. I had to buy both side skirts as they don't seel them indivicually I was just awesome.

I feel your pain I was so pissed when I got home at the retard will all the crap not restrained in his truck.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned

Last edited by hognutz; 09-19-2012 at 06:23 PM.
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
I know that it a lot cheaper to put on a set of retreads, but if your trailer or truck is blowing them would it be less expensive to put new ones on from the start? I have seen to much damage to other vehicles because of them.
It just sucks I couldn't get the plate number of the truck that had the blow out.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
We had the same thing happen to us while driving on I-75 going around 80mph. Had a van in front of us so we couldn't see it till the last second. We did fair much better than you, only getting the splitter roughed up on top. Did make a hell of a noise going under the car.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
When I had my Harley, I hated those "Road Alligators" because they would hurt you!
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Unbelievable that the US DOT allows them. Motorcyclist get killed every year by flying retreads. The trucking industry must have a powerfull lobby in Washington.

If cars threw things off on the highway, that regularly killed people, you can believe the NHTSA would mandate a recall. But trucks, nope, acceptable apparently. And they don't even have to clean them up. Highways everywhere are littered with truck tire crap.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Happened to me earlier this year just after I got my car, I was able to swerve a bit but it still did $4000 in damage:

I was 4 hours from home so I borrowed an electric saw and bought some zipties:

12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
That's some serious damage sorry to hear that bro. It could've been worse.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Coming back from DC on i95 we were coming up on a track/trailer when the entire tire came off the rim and went past my dads side of the car. Crazy.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Damn that sucks! Must be retread damage month. My front GFX got tweaked and some permanent dimples a couple of weeks ago from an "alligator" laying on the road. Was following a car that tried to avoid it and sent it spinning my way. To me, retreads are just nuts. The Gov regulates everything from safety to stupid emissions, but lets these death traps on the highway.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
2010ABM

Drives: 2SS/RS ABM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
So I figured I would call my insurance company and have them send me to a shop that could look at it closer. As I'm on the phone I see that not only was the heat shield damaged, so was the diffuser, both fog lights, front lip spoiler, passanger side skirt and some stuff under the car.

Welcome to SA armysig!! Hope you're enjoying your time here so far
Old 09-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #13
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
I was next to a Semi one time when one of his rear tires let go,The noise scared the heck out of me.
Fortunately I was ahead of the rear axle so I didn't get any damage,but the truck driver kept driving like nothing happened.
Apparently he didn't care about the carnage he left behind.

Last edited by gml1998; 09-20-2012 at 09:17 AM.
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
Happened to me coming back from Camaro5Fest last year. Had to replaced the front facia, not near as bad as pro stock john!
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote