Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Exposed carbon fiber hood clear coat split

Hey guys,

I'm currently having my hood looked at with dealership help. It looks like the clear coat has start to crack or split near the angles of where the extrator vents are. I only noticed this the other day when I was at a car show and a spectator pointed it out to me.

There are multiple shots and angles for you to view the issue I am speaking of. I don't know if this is an on going issue with GM other than they at first told the dealership to not order the part and have a regional manager look at it before it goes through.

You guys be the judge if I'm over reacting or if this is a concern we should look further into.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
Looks like a defect in materials and workmanship.
Don't see why that wouldn't be covered under warranty.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Any paint failure of a new car is a concern. If the split developed after you bought the car, then GM and the dealer should own up to fixing it.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Right now there is a debate going on with GM and the service manager at the dealership I have the vehicle being inspected by.

GM is insisting that my ECF hood is showing traits of this TPS , while the service manager says that it's clear coat failure.

This morning I'm suppose to go to the dealership with the car so the regional manager can do an inspection of his own for GM. Once he sees the car I think he'll side with me and the dealership service manager. What we're seeing is not what's discribed in the TPS.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
Right now there is a debate going on with GM and the service manager at the dealership I have the vehicle being inspected by.

GM is insisting that my ECF hood is showing traits of this TPS , while the service manager says that it's clear coat failure.

This morning I'm suppose to go to the dealership with the car so the regional manager can do an inspection of his own for GM. Once he sees the car I think he'll side with me and the dealership service manager. What we're seeing is not what's discribed in the TPS.

Do you currently have a case with GM customer service regarding this concern? I can take a look at it if you would like. Just provide the case number in a PM.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I've read the TPS and this isn't a cosmetic variation of the CF material. It is definately a clear coat failure at stress points or where the CF makes sharp bends. The paint is cracking and should be covered under warranty.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Black Ice

Drives: Black Ice
Subbed... I have similar issues but only on the lip toward the windshield. Dealer ordered a new one when I noticed it at delivery. The order was cancelled by GM. I had to provide pictures which I did today.

It looks like hell and everyone that rides in the car notices it.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742

Drives: his wife crazy
I just noticed almost the exact same thing on mine just the other day. Mine is on the lip on the passenger side though. Haven't had a chance to take it to the dealership and it is definitely not the CF. You can feel that the clear coat is messed up.
Uneducated Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Makes me wonder if this is why the CF insert was on constraint for a while, trying to fix this problem.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
If you can feel it with your fingernail then it is a clearcoat splitting and over time will separate with the temperature change. I have seen this on cf hoods and spoilers. I would say warranty.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Subbed... I have similar issues but only on the lip toward the windshield. Dealer ordered a new one when I noticed it at delivery. The order was cancelled by GM. I had to provide pictures which I did today.

Wait what? the dealer ordered a replacment on damage upon reciept and GM canceled it?

Why would they do that? they dont believe the dealership? wouldnt the dealer of taken pictures of the issue before ordering?

Also say someone bought these inserts from aa ZL1 owner, would they still be covered under warranty if this happened.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

We apologize for the dissatisfaction you are experiencing with the appearance of your vehicle. Please let us know if they were able to get the part in to correct the issue.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
Speedforhire

Drives: 2013 GRAND SPORT (aka: EREBUS)
Quote:

Ditto..............same with mine and there are cracks around the vents also........par for the course with GM products. I'll trade the car off before I deal with their poor quality sevice. It's not worth the hassle!:(

The idiot detailer at the dealership used a buffer on it also and put swirl marks all over it.......
Speedforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
"cosmetic variation"?? Really? That's BS speak for "If it has some minor flaws, tough s**t! Just live with our inability to provide a quality product."

Sorry to hear the issues. That sucks. What will really suck is after 3 years what's going to happen then?

I'm going to bet the exposed CF option will be going away soon if they don't get this corrected pronto. Unless the painted ones are doing it too?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote