Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Rockamakis

Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS,
Removing bug juice

Is there good product that easily removes bug juice from the car when washing it?
Rockamakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I saturate the bug guts with Adams waterless wash prior to my wash method. I tend to use a lot of water pressure to knock as much of as possible prior to touching them with a wash mitt.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
wd-40 works..

I've used wd-40 and an old set of the wifes panty hose in the past, the panty hose works like a bristle brush but doesn't scratch the paint, of course you will need to wax/polish after you get the guts off.

also panty hose work great as an emergency belt if you break one out in BFE.. had that happen in a truck coming back from Vegas once.. my GF at the time was not happy with me....
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockamakis View Post
Is there good product that easily removes bug juice from the car when washing it?
I would try Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover. Cheap, readily available, and works extremely well. Unlike waterless washes or quick detailers, this product is specifically formulated to take bug guts off your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
wd-40 works..

I've used wd-40 and an old set of the wifes panty hose in the past, the panty hose works like a bristle brush but doesn't scratch the paint, of course you will need to wax/polish after you get the guts off.

also panty hose work great as an emergency belt if you break one out in BFE.. had that happen in a truck coming back from Vegas once.. my GF at the time was not happy with me....
OP, WD-40 works, but it should be a last resort.

And I would certainly recommend AGAINST using any fabrics that are designed to be worn, not rubbed against paint. Maybe it doesn't scratch, but I would never do it to my car.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I would try Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover. Cheap, readily available, and works extremely well. Unlike waterless washes or quick detailers, this product is specifically formulated to take bug guts off your car.

OP, WD-40 works, but it should be a last resort.

And I would certainly recommend AGAINST using any fabrics that are designed to be worn, not rubbed against paint. Maybe it doesn't scratch, but I would never do it to my car.

did it on my black 300c with no issues.. no scratches, no problems, of course the hose were wet and it is a very light touch, not man handling it and scraping the crap outta the car..

I'm to old and too disabled to deal with it now, just pay a detailer to do it, but as I said, never had an issue, never saw any scratches in black paint...
Old 10-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
did it on my black 300c with no issues.. no scratches, no problems, of course the hose were wet and it is a very light touch, not man handling it and scraping the crap outta the car..

I'm to old and too disabled to deal with it now, just pay a detailer to do it, but as I said, never had an issue, never saw any scratches in black paint...
Yup, I believe you when you say it didn't scratch. Just saying I personally would never do it

Still, WD-40 is in my opinion, a way too aggressive of a starting point. Always start with the least aggressive method, ie bug and tar remover or a waterless wash or normal soap and water

My method is
1) If soap and water didn't work then go to number 2
2) If bug and tar remover didn't work then go to number 3
3) If WD-40 doesn't work, you might be dealing with permanent etches. Go to number 4
4) Compounding and polishing. If this didn't work, you need a repaint.
5) Repaint.

On my car, I've never had to go past category 2, but I have of course seen cars that will no doubt need a repaint, as they are not salvageable.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Yup, I believe you when you say it didn't scratch. Just saying I personally would never do it
gottca..
Old 10-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Rockamakis

Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS,
Thank you for the input. I appreciate it.
Rockamakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
I saturate the bug guts with Adams waterless wash prior to my wash method. I tend to use a lot of water pressure to knock as much of as possible prior to touching them with a wash mitt.
This.... they come right out....tip, if you have Adams quick sealant you can apply that after you're done drying the car...it doesn't prevent bugs, but they come off alot easier next wash
Old 10-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin's Bee View Post
This.... they come right out....tip, if you have Adams quick sealant you can apply that after you're done drying the car...it doesn't prevent bugs, but they come off alot easier next wash
Old 10-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
Beer Thirty
5:30 somewhere

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
A great product by surf city called road trip grime destroyer. Works great for removing bugs. Only product I know that works.
Beer Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote