Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Heater hose replace/relocate difficulty

I've read thru the JDP DYI and all but am still left wondering... how difficult of a job is it really for a guy of average mechanical ability and no lift to do the swap out of the 2010 heater hoses with the 2012 hoses? Getting the old ones off the firewall and water pump doesn't look too bad but frankly I'm a little spooked at the pics of routing them behind the heatshield, lifting the fuel line and evap hose, going around and thru wire harnesses, etc.
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
I've read thru the JDP DYI and all but am still left wondering... how difficult of a job is it really for a guy of average mechanical ability and no lift to do the swap out of the 2010 heater hoses with the 2012 hoses? Getting the old ones off the firewall and water pump doesn't look too bad but frankly I'm a little spooked at the pics of routing them behind the heatshield, lifting the fuel line and evap hose, going around and thru wire harnesses, etc.
I watched while mine was being installed at the same time headers were going on. Was glad to have payed the extra few dollars so I wouldn't have to. It's more a PITA thing than hard to do. Although I do remember getting the hoses off at the firewall being a bit of a chore...even just watching

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Just take your time, it's not that big a deal. If you have to go somwhere in an hour and don't have another car, don't start it yet.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Cincy10SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
Just take your time, it's not that big a deal. If you have to go somwhere in an hour and don't have another car, don't start it yet.
Can it all be done from above without lifting or even ramping the car?
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Can it all be done from above without lifting or even ramping the car?
For sure! It's not a big deal. Like Nike says "Just Do IT!!!" Makes a huge difference cleaning up the top of the engine.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
It is actually pretty easy. Depending on what kind of needle nose pliers you have the hardest part is the hose clamps at the heater core. Once you have the clamps loosened down the hoses I would recommend using a razor blade or box cutter to make a slice in the hoses. This will help them slide off of the heater core pipes.
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Yup. Hardest part will be getting the hoses off the firewall.

The heat shield comes loose really easy. The JDP set up fits perfectly. You are supposed to go under the car to bolt/screw a bracket that is on the line in to the car but you don't have to. I did just to be sure it wouldn't rattle but it's up to you. It will still stay in place due to the tab.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Once you have the clamps off the hoses at the heater core a nice long pair of hose pliers with the curved ends work well. Gentle small twists broke mine free very easily.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
bilydean

Drives: One of the rare ABM camaros
When I changed my heater hoses on my 2010 to the reroute kit, it absolutely sucked to get them off of the firewall. I ended up cutting them.

Dean
3400 6/20 TPW of 6/29
3800 7/3
4D00 7/8 interned at QC
4B00 7/16 Released from QC
4200 7/20

8/5 We picked up the car
bilydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
I have the GM kit and have for a while but was always afraid to do this also. Biggest thing for me is I didnt want a huge coolant mess everywhere.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE View Post
I have the GM kit and have for a while but was always afraid to do this also. Biggest thing for me is I didnt want a huge coolant mess everywhere.
Drain about a gallon or so out of the radiator and be prepared with rags or small containers when you remove hoses (water pump end first) it won't be to messy at all.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Had to slice existing hoses off, I really tried not to do it. Definitely get the correct pliers for the clamps at the firewall, I didn't and I struggled. I used gates hoses for replacements. Had Issues with burping the system on the refill.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
Cincy10SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
Once you have the clamps off the hoses at the heater core a nice long pair of hose pliers with the curved ends work well. Gentle small twists broke mine free very easily.
Hmm, I'm probably older than 85% of the members on this forum and I've never even seen those type of pliers before. They do look like they'd be helpful for a job like this though.
I'm sure I'll go ahead and do this mod fairly soon. I've done (on a previous car, my 2005 Impala SS) an intercooler install, valve rocker swaps, lowering spring install, etc, etc, all of which spooked me at first but after studying and thinking/planning for a while and then plunging in they all ended up fine. Sometimes not without a lot of swearing and wrench tossing but overall successful.

Last edited by Cincy10SSRS; 10-24-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Quote:
Hmm, I'm probably older than 85% of the members on this forum and I've never even seen those type of pliers before. They do look like they'd be helpful for a job like this though.
I'm sure I'll go ahead and do this mod fairly soon. I've done (on a previous car, my 2005 Impala SS) an intercooler install, valve rocker swaps, lowering spring install, etc, etc, all of which spooked me at first but after studying and thinking/planning for a while and then plunging in they all ended up fine. Sometimes not without a lot of swearing and wrench tossing but overall successful.
You can get them at Harbor Freight Tools if you have near you or order online from them.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...ers-37909.html