Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
ps2ren

Drives: Camaro SS
Getting my winter tires tomorrow, need help

So I have a 2010 SS with RS package, with the stock 20" wheels and summer tires(245/45 front 275/40 back I believe). Recently I got a set of 19" and pirelli scorpion snow and ice for the winter(without tire pressure sensor). My question is, is it possible to swap the wheels myself? The winter ones are already balanced and fitted onto the 19s. How is the tire pressure sensor connected to the car? How do I disconnect it? I know the tire lights will be up all winter on the 19s, and the speedo will be inaccurate. Are there anything else I need to know? Pepboys guys said they can do the swap for $20 since the tires are already on the rims, should I just ask them and skip the trouble or is it a simple jack up and unscrew?

Also I am aware that the pirelli summer tires don't last very long, how about the pirelli scorpion snow and ice? What would be a good substitute when my current set run out? This car is my only DD and I only do about 12k driving per year. I don't bring it to the tracks but I do rev it to 4.5k on straight highways. Price isn't a huge concern as long as the new set can last a bit longer than the stock ones.

Thanks a lot ^___^ sorry about the long winded questions, this will be my first winter with the SS so I'm a bit worried......

Last edited by ps2ren; 11-03-2012 at 06:19 PM.
ps2ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Yo, I just threw on my winter tires/wheels yesterday.

Just jack the car up in the air safely and put them on. Loosen the lugs before you put it in the air.

I personally jack it one corner at a time and make the swap.

I've had shops swap them for me, but it actually takes longer (drop off the SS, shuttle home to load up the winter tires in another vehicle, drop off at shop, shuffle the cars again).

You may not get an error on the TPMS. It'll will likely still show the readings from your summer tires.

The Snow and Ice Pirellis will last you a long time if you take care of them. You'll only have them on the car for a few thousand miles/year more than likely. Mine are going on their 3rd winter with no visible wear.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2ren View Post
So I have a 2010 SS with RS package, with the stock 20" wheels and summer tires(245/45 front 275/40 back I believe). Recently I got a set of 19" and pirelli scorpion snow and ice for the winter(without tire pressure sensor). My question is, is it possible to swap the wheels myself? The winter ones are already balanced and fitted onto the 19s. How is the tire pressure sensor connected to the car? How do I disconnect it? I know the tire lights will be up all winter on the 19s, and the speedo will be inaccurate. Are there anything else I need to know? Pepboys guys said they can do the swap for $20 since the tires are already on the rims, should I just ask them and skip the trouble or is it a simple jack up and unscrew?

Also I am aware that the pirelli summer tires don't last very long, how about the pirelli scorpion snow and ice? What would be a good substitute when my current set run out? This car is my only DD and I only do about 12k driving per year. I don't bring it to the tracks but I do rev it to 4.5k on straight highways. Price isn't a huge concern as long as the new set can last a bit longer than the stock ones.

Thanks a lot ^___^ sorry about the long winded questions, this will be my first winter with the SS so I'm a bit worried......
My car is my daily driver, and I swapped my Pirellis the first week for a set of Nitto Motivos...they are 60K mile tires, and I think the ride feels pretty good with them. We generally get very little snow around this area, so I don't swap out for snow tires. I put about 10K-12K per year on my car as well.
Hope that helps...
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
ps2ren

Oh cool~ thanks for the help ppl~ I will have a friend driving the tires around with an SUV so moving them isn't a problem. I will look into touring tires when the summer ones run out
Old 11-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
snickerdoodle

Drives: 2013 1LE AGM 2SS RS M6
Hey ps2ren, I am in Philly to! any suggestions for winter tires in this Philly weather?
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Laserjen

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post

I've had shops swap them for me, but it actually takes longer (drop off the SS, shuttle home to load up the winter tires in another vehicle, drop off at shop, shuffle the cars again).
Why don't you just load the tires in your Camaro? One slides in the trunk through the back seat and other three fit in the back seat with the passenger seat tilted forward. I've done it lots of times.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
JHall651

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Ashen Grey
Do you guys get your cars re-aligned every time you swap out the tires?
2012 2SS/RS, Magna TVS2300, RX Catch Can, Borla S-Type, Pfadt Stage 4 w/ ZL Spec Sway Bars, ADM Custom Boost/AFR Gauges, Hurst Short Throw, Forgestar F14 Matte Black 20x11 & 20x9.5 Deep Concave all 4, Nitto Invo 315/35 & 275/40, Heritage Grill, Sparks Black Grill SS & Trunk SS, P13W Fog Lights (cool white) w/ DRL Harness, Blacked Out Brake light bezels, Xpel Smoke Light Kit
JHall651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Laserjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHall651 View Post
Do you guys get your cars re-aligned every time you swap out the tires?
I swapped tires every spring and fall for 3 years and never needed to
Old 11-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
ps2ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserjen View Post
I swapped tires every spring and fall for 3 years and never needed to
Oh? What setup are you running for summer and winter? Turns out I need spacers for the front wheel when I'm going stock 19 for the SS-RS, do you know what size spacers I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
Hey ps2ren, I am in Philly to! any suggestions for winter tires in this Philly weather?
Hi, this is the first time I'm dealing with winter with the camaro too...... I got the pirelli scorpion ice and snow some people mentioned on this forums. They are on the expensive side but should be similar to the stock tires
Old 11-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Laserjen

Quote:
Oh? What setup are you running for summer and winter? Turns out I need spacers for the front wheel when I'm going stock 19 for the SS-RS, do you know what size spacers I need?
On my 2010 2LT/RS I had the stock tires for summer and a set of 19" wheels with the Pirelli Scorpion ice and snow tires for winter. I bought the winter setup as a package from tirerack with the tpms and it came with the spacers and hardware I needed. I don't remember what the specs on the spacers were.

When I upgraded to the SS I sold those tires with my RS since they wouldn't fit on the SS. I just ordered new 20" wheels with the Dunlop 3D Sport winter tires.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
ps2ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserjen View Post
On my 2010 2LT/RS I had the stock tires for summer and a set of 19" wheels with the Pirelli Scorpion ice and snow tires for winter. I bought the winter setup as a package from tirerack with the tpms and it came with the spacers and hardware I needed. I don't remember what the specs on the spacers were.

When I upgraded to the SS I sold those tires with my RS since they wouldn't fit on the SS. I just ordered new 20" wheels with the Dunlop 3D Sport winter tires.
Damn >__< guess I have to go ask a dealer then
Old 11-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Really the only issue you'll have is the TPMS. To remove the TPMS from the current tire you will have to take it to a shop and remove the tire to gain access to the sensor. Unfortunately this will require both tires to be remounted and rebalanced. Most places around me charge $10 per tire to mount and balance so you are looking at around $80 to do this.

Another option you could have is just not install the TPMS. You will get a warning light but it won't harm anything to go this route for a couple months.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
ps2ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Really the only issue you'll have is the TPMS. To remove the TPMS from the current tire you will have to take it to a shop and remove the tire to gain access to the sensor. Unfortunately this will require both tires to be remounted and rebalanced. Most places around me charge $10 per tire to mount and balance so you are looking at around $80 to do this.

Another option you could have is just not install the TPMS. You will get a warning light but it won't harm anything to go this route for a couple months.
Yup I already went to the shop, the sensor is fine, but I do need spacers for the front wheels. The 19s can't clear the brembo brakes and now I'm trying to find out what size the spacers need to be...... I have found some say 5mm online

I have a feeling that stock SS without RS package come with spacers, I wonder if anyone knows about that on here
Old 11-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
justinxxvii

Drives: Car
No one ever said how the sensor is connected to the car. Will there be a plug coming out of the wheel or something?
justinxxvii is offline   Reply With Quote