Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Question Vararam intake?

Buying one-- got a great deal on it. It'll be replacing my BBK. Anything I should know about the install? Those of you who have one, do you like it?

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Eric59

Drives: 2013 Summit White 1LE
It was a big difference over the stock intake. Not sure how much it will change going from a BBK. But I'm happy with it. Also, you may have to modify your radiator brackets.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Since you have the Black ICE-olater, you might not have to modify your Radiator brackets, but it's pretty easy. I bought a new set and cut them before I even got the intake so the Vararam install went quickly w/o stopping to cut the brackets. When I installed the ICE-olator a month later, it looked like I could get away without cutting them. I recommend using thread-locker on the radiator-bracket bolts. Mine worked loose, though I was trying not to compress the foam spacer provided in the kit, so I hadn't cranked-down on them. I believe the function of the spacer is to tilt the radiator back slightly so super-tight would defeat the purpose. I didn't use the clamps that came in the kit, I used wider T-clamps and haven't had the issues that some folks have had with the intake shifting position under use.

It's a pretty easy install overall...
Old 11-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I went from the AirRaid to the Vararam and I noticed a difference....in sound and performance. I would not go back at all. If i HAD to change or wanted a different look...it would be a CAI with scoop.

Worst part of the install is cutting down the radiator brackets. I used a hacksaw, but with a something to hold the bracket and a dremel it would be super easy. Make sure you cut them down plenty far.

Once you get the VR installed make sure you have a decent amount of air gap left for air to enter. A good rule of thumb is that your keyfob fits in between the gap. (I have the RX insulator and I still have this gap).

Don't tighten down the clamp that goes over the red tub on the intake side too tight. Make it pretty snug...well...more than snug but not too much so that you risk squishing the plastic end of the intake horn.

Lastly, after your first couple drives pop the hood and look at the air gap I mentioned earlier and make sure it is not closing up due to your intake moving. If it is, you may need to make some adjustments.

Good luck!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
What they said, don't think you'll regret the purchase - I LOVE my Vararam.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote