Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
motley1987

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
engine laboring

Recently it seems like when I drive and try to keep a moderate constant speed, the engine seems to be laboring. I can't think of a way to describe it but it's kind of like when you're going up a hill and the engine needs to downshift, but it happens even on level ground. I either have to take my foot off the gas a little or gas it more to go to a higher gear. I'm not sure when it started so I'm trying to figure out if one of my more recent mods could have caused it. I have the mace plenum spacer, the mace 25mm insulator and I relocated the IAT sensor. These are the last things I've done to it and I don't remember noticing it when I installed the ported IM or the spiral TB awhile ago. I also have a Trifecta tune. Has anyone else noticed this going on and possibly the result of a mod that you did? Any help or suggestions of things I can look at would be great.

Ben
2011 IOM 1LT RS. K&N Typhoon CAI; Sequential taillights, SLP faded gill overlays, VMAX CNC ported TB, RX Ported IM, RX breather, 3/8" Black Ice-olator, OEM STB, 4 gauge pack, Alpine amp and sub, convertible spoiler, IOM painted rear diffuser, SS front and rear sways, SS front and rear struts and springs, Street Scene front splitter, IOM hideaway headlight covers, 5% window tint.
motley1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Do you have any way to monitor your fuel trims? I use an app on my Android called "Torque" a long with a cheap bluetooth OBD-II adapter. Together I can monitor lots of ECM parameters. If they are + or - a ways from zero, that could be a sign you need your tune tweaked.

Also, how long have you had the insulator installed? Maybe it needs more learn time??
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Do you have any way to monitor your fuel trims? I use an app on my Android called "Torque" a long with a cheap bluetooth OBD-II adapter. Together I can monitor lots of ECM parameters. If they are + or - a ways from zero, that could be a sign you need your tune tweaked.

Also, how long have you had the insulator installed? Maybe it needs more learn time??
Not to thread jack but can I do that with a iPhone and my trifecta cable?...back to op
Old 11-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
motley1987

I have a scangauge 2 but I'll have to see if I can see the fuel trim levels. I'm thinking it might have to do with the tune too. I got the tune at the same time I put in an SS exhaust during the summer. The louder exhaust made me notice weird shift changes but I chalked that up to just being able to hear it more with the new exhaust. I eventually put the stock V6 exhaust back on and re-did the tune without doing the transmission part to see if that made a difference. I don't think it did so I was thinking it was either my imagination or one of my other mods causing the problem. The plenum spacer has been on for a couple months so it should have relearned by now. Do you think I should flash my pcm back to stock to see if that makes a difference? I never thought of fuel trim levels being an issue so thanks for the suggestion. When I sent my datalog to BNR I mentioned the shifting issue but they came back with "tune looks good". I guess if I flash to stock and it's better I'll have to be in touch with them again.

Ben
2011 IOM 1LT RS. K&N Typhoon CAI; Sequential taillights, SLP faded gill overlays, VMAX CNC ported TB, RX Ported IM, RX breather, 3/8" Black Ice-olator, OEM STB, 4 gauge pack, Alpine amp and sub, convertible spoiler, IOM painted rear diffuser, SS front and rear sways, SS front and rear struts and springs, Street Scene front splitter, IOM hideaway headlight covers, 5% window tint.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
motley1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin's Bee View Post
Not to thread jack but can I do that with a iPhone and my trifecta cable?...back to op

I'd try that too if it's possible.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
1M93

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6 LT
I had a similar issue a little while back, ended up being a problem with the factory catalytic converter. Dealer replaced, good as new.
1M93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Does sound like a cat clogging.......
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
same with mine. cat was replaced
Old 11-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
motley1987

It kind of has a sound like it you were using a winch to pull something that was way too heavy and the sound of the motor kept going up and down. That's the best I can come up with especially since I don't own a winch . I actually have to take it in Wednesday since I'm getting the "AC off due to engine temp" warning so I'll mention it to him then. I've had the error before and it had a check engine light so I was able to clear it but not this time. I'm just worried they'll see the insulator and plenum spacer and tell me that's what the problem is and not do anything. I haven't had it in for anything since my mods were done so I'm curious how it'll go. Thanks for the help.

Ben
Old 11-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
they saw my insulator and plenum spacer and my ported IM and they said its still under warranty
Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
motley1987

Thats good to know. Hopefully my dealer is like yours.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin's Bee View Post
Nope...can't do that.

Not sure what iPhone app would be an equivalent to Torque on Android, but dynolicious might be. But I'm not sure if that app can read a car's ECM....but it does do the performance stuff though like 0 - 60 and all that.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
motley1987

Well I tried putting the stock tune back onto my car and I think it went through but I'm not sure. It took a few tries to get past the "not detecting car" error and once it finally did, it ran through all the processes for about 5-8 minutes then gave me the "not detecting car" message again. I tried doing the stock tune a few more times and couldn't get ezflash to recognize the car so I gave up for now. One thing though, the "AC off due to high engine temp" warning went off so I'm guessing the stock tune went in okay? I had already made an appt at the dealer for tomorrow so I'll see if the engine/trans runs any different now and see if I still need the appt.