Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
Yohan

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6 1LT
IPF Tune vs Trifecta Tune

Best tune for A6 LFX is....

With the news of IPF dyno results of their new LFX tune showings of around 30rwhp, and now Trifecta as well, it's hard not go for one of these bad boys.

They both promise and have dyno graphs showing impressive 30rwhp gains. But can anyone share the pros and cons of each to help us make informed decision?

However, which will actually be best "hidden" of all? Guess the tuner that can remain truly transparent to ECU flash counter will win in end with those concerned w/ Warranty issues.

Competition is good! Hope IPF & Trifecta can soon figure out ways to make even more power, BUT make sure tunes are as "transparent mode" possible

Last edited by Yohan; 12-04-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Yohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
The LFX ECU has a flash counter so there is no way to hide the tune

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Correct. No way around the flash counter.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
The LFX ECU has a flash counter so there is no way to hide the tune
Correct me if wrong, but I believe Trifecta has "transparent" mode, which can hide the tune, making it appear as the stock one. Pblm is that the counter picks up on it and GM can tell there ECU has been flashed. Maybe they can tell due to counter, but due to "transparent mode" they can't actually "see" the tune file if was left on when going to dealer. Which begs the question, if the tune is really transparant, how does the ECU flash counter pick up on it? There has to be a way around it.

Last edited by Yohan; 12-04-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Yohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Yohan

Someone needs to play around w/ flash counter and figure out how it works. How is it programmed to pick on a "transparancy mode" tune file.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Yohan

ASH, Vince, Matt---c'mon man, brush up on those C++ or C# books ! Crack the code
Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: Longest things on Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
Someone needs to play around w/ flash counter and figure out how it works. How is it programmed to pick on a "transparancy mode" tune file.
Tracy (sc2150) knows all there is on this.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Tracy (sc2150) knows all there is on this.
If they put their mind to it, it can easily be figured out.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
lscamaro

No, it's not that easy. The flash counter incorporated by GM is actually a pretty complex algorithm. The SS has one as well and no one has been able to get around that one either. And they've had about 4 years alone on the 5th gen to do it. If you want to get tuned, be prepared for your warranty to go out the window. You have to pay to play

Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Yohan

Quote:
No, it's not that easy. The flash counter incorporated by GM is actually a pretty complex algorithm. The SS has one as well and no one has been able to get around that one either. And they've had about 4 years alone on the 5th gen to do it. If you want to get tuned, be prepared for your warranty to go out the window. You have to pay to play
Ouch!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
Ouch!
ouch? why?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
Yohan

Quote:
ouch? why?
Well, seems like on LLT, at least the "transparency mode" feature available, but perhaps not available w/ LFX.

it's a gamble: what are the odds that w/ a tune car will have some powertrain failure and dealer will deny warranty svc? I imagine very rare, but not implausible for those agressive drivers pushing their cars. For average DD, what in the world could go wrong w/ tune on that could affect warranty work? Great bang for buck perfomance wise
Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #13
lscamaro

No, you have this all wrong. The difference isn't in the tuning software but in the ECU itself. The Bosch ECU of the LLT doesn't have the flash counter needed to detect a modification in the software. The Delphi ECU of the LFX, on the other hand, does have the necessary flash counter to detect the change. So even with a "transparency" feature on the LFX, it can be seen. If Trifecta can prove it won't be, i'll gladly eat my words but everyone who has ever tried to defeat the GM algorithm has come up losing. Just look at Diablo, they state they had an undetectable tune for the v8 yet they could never prove it. Had they proven it, their sales would have increased substantially so that leads most to believe that the tune wasn't undetectable.

About the gamble part, yes it is a gamble. A tune, when done right, shouldn't hurt anything at all. But there are a lot of tuners out there that think they know what they're doing and break things. It is for this reason that GM protects themselves by saying a tune mods the warranty. Another thing to consider is all the problems with the torque converter the LFX has been experiencing. I've already read of a few members who have had a problem with it. It's probable that if it happens, the dealer might scan the car and deny the claim if it's tuned. It's just a risk you have to take if you want the power increase.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #14
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
could you temporarily take the obdII reader slot of the car, thus making it imposible for the dealer to read the car?

Thank our veterans for peace today, Support our troops for peace tomorrow. RIP Dad, 1962-2012 SYOTOS
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote