Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
jordan 572

Drives: none
AEM Tru boost gauge

I have a turbonetics kit on my ls3, I am thinking about getting this gauge. For anyone that has experience with this setup, the wastegates are external on the system. How do I run the hoses to both gates? Just install a y after the boost solenoid? Also why do they make an extra boost gauge that uses the three pin plug on the gauge? Doesn't the hose coming off the gauge already read boost/vacuum?
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
69camaroSS

Drives: 1969 camaro SS;2011 Turbocharged SS
Bump...I'd like to find out too?

2011 turbocharged SS Borla Touring Axle back
69camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
xjer22x

Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
I thought the turbinetics kit has one Turbo? If you have two then yes you should run a "T" adapter after the solenoid. As far as the wires coming off of it. They put those on for an external logger just in case you want to log your boost.

If you also go on their website you can download the full instructions which explains what each wire and plug is used for.

sent from my galaxy s3. that would explain the errors.
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The way I have it wired is with a "T" on the line that comes from the compressor cover with one end going to the solenoid than the other end is "T'd" again with one end going to the bottom of one WG and the other end to the bottom of the other WG. Then another line from the other side of the solenoid with another "T" which then goes to the top of each WG.

The wires coming out of the solenoid are hot and ground that go to the gauge.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
jordan 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjer22x View Post
I thought the turbinetics kit has one Turbo? If you have two then yes you should run a "T" adapter after the solenoid. As far as the wires coming off of it. They put those on for an external logger just in case you want to log your boost.

If you also go on their website you can download the full instructions which explains what each wire and plug is used for.

It has one turbo but two wastegates, I was wondering how to connect to both gates instead of just one like the directions say. I am not confused about those wires one is for boost warning light and the other is for scatter boost but rather why do they have an additional 3 plug port on the pod for a boost sensor when the hose coming off the back of the pod is already suppose to read vacuum/boost. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
jordan 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT10KLLR View Post
The way I have it wired is with a "T" on the line that comes from the compressor cover with one end going to the solenoid than the other end is "T'd" again with one end going to the bottom of one WG and the other end to the bottom of the other WG. Then another line from the other side of the solenoid with another "T" which then goes to the top of each WG.

The wires coming out of the solenoid are hot and ground that go to the gauge.
Makes sense thanks, I take it then if you want to get a vacuum reading you would have to utilize the three pin sensor obviously after the tb? I wonder why they use an actual boost tube to the back of the gauge to tell the pod what boost it is reading. I have an aem boost only gauge that communicates just using a sensor and wires with each psi representing a predetermined voltage that is sent back to the pod that then displays boost or vacuum if you follow.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
xjer22x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
It has one turbo but two wastegates, I was wondering how to connect to both gates instead of just one like the directions say. I am not confused about those wires one is for boost warning light and the other is for scatter boost but rather why do they have an additional 3 plug port on the pod for a boost sensor when the hose coming off the back of the pod is already suppose to read vacuum/boost. Thanks for the help so far.
ahhh, gotcha. are you sure its not one wastegate and then one Blow off valve??? Kinda confused on why it would have 2 wastegates. That is very interesting and a little excessive.

but anyways the 3 pin connector is an optional add on if you want to read boost levels up to 75psi. I believe the internal one on the actual gauge only goes to 30psi.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
SRT10KLLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjer22x View Post
ahhh, gotcha. are you sure its not one wastegate and then one Blow off valve??? Kinda confused on why it would have 2 wastegates. That is very interesting and a little excessive.

but anyways the 3 pin connector is an optional add on if you want to read boost levels up to 75psi. I believe the internal one on the actual gauge only goes to 30psi.

Yes, I think you should only have the BOV and one WG.

The solenoid should only have two wires a Red and a Black. The gauge is the one with a Orange(scramble boost) and a Grey(optional warning light). You can use the Orange wire to reduce boost to WG pressure or to increase boost to higher than WG pressure at the flip of the switch.

I have the Orange wire hooked to the water/methanol kit so if it faults for any reason(low on meth, pump failure, clogged nozzle etc.) it will reduce boost to WG(low 7-8psi) pressure.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
SRT10KLLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
Makes sense thanks, I take it then if you want to get a vacuum reading you would have to utilize the three pin sensor obviously after the tb? I wonder why they use an actual boost tube to the back of the gauge to tell the pod what boost it is reading. I have an aem boost only gauge that communicates just using a sensor and wires with each psi representing a predetermined voltage that is sent back to the pod that then displays boost or vacuum if you follow.
The hose coming off the gauge is hooked to the brake booster line. It reads vacuum and boost just like your gauge. Difference is one is electric the other mechanical.

The electric boost gauges have an external MAP sensor the reads vacuum/boost and sends the info electronically to the gauge. The mechanical boost gauges have a nipple that gets "T'ed" to a your vacuum/boost reference.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
SRT10KLLR

I just checked and sure enough it does come with two WG's. In order to be smog legal they worked off the stock exhaust and added hot pipes after the cats. Each pipe after the cats has a WG then they come together before going into the turbo. After the turbo they again separate and go into the stock exhaust again. Whole lot of piping.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
xjer22x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT10KLLR View Post
I just checked and sure enough it does come with two WG's. In order to be smog legal they worked off the stock exhaust and added hot pipes after the cats. Each pipe after the cats has a WG then they come together before going into the turbo. After the turbo they again separate and go into the stock exhaust again. Whole lot of piping.
Ahhhhh interesting. Stupid smog regulations. But makes sense for the design now. I stand corrected. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
jordan 572

Yep two wastegates like srt said, the bov is mounted to the top of the ic.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
jordan 572

I was looking at my car today and the wastegate has a line going into the bottom that obviously is sending the boost pressure so it know when to open up but the there is no line in the cover. There is the hole for it but nothing is there, why is that?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
SRT10KLLR

That one vents to atmospere. Do not plug the line to it or you will overboost. If you get a boost controller then you will use that port.