Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Asian Zero

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
Interior Lighting Assistance

I just had some interior lighting wiring questions for all you electronics gurus out there. How much equiptment is safe to run off of the dome light? I have both front and rear footwell LED strips from AAC that i want to come on and off with the dome light but i also want to be able to turn them on even with the dome light out. I also want to add in a courtesy light for the rear seat which only comes on with the dome light. the rear light will most likely be a 1/2" or 3" inch LED strip. Currently i ttapped the domelight wires up near the dome light and have that running back to where i want the rear courtesy light.

1. is there a place lower down to tap into the dome light power?
2. Is it ok to run that much power in that circuit?
3. And if its ok to run it off that, is there a way to also add a manual on/off switch for the footwells in conjunction with the dome light.
Asian Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Ricardo@Phastek

Drives: the boss nuts....
Send a message via AIM to Ricardo@Phastek Send a message via Yahoo to Ricardo@Phastek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Zero View Post
I just had some interior lighting wiring questions for all you electronics gurus out there. How much equiptment is safe to run off of the dome light? I have both front and rear footwell LED strips from AAC that i want to come on and off with the dome light but i also want to be able to turn them on even with the dome light out. I also want to add in a courtesy light for the rear seat which only comes on with the dome light. the rear light will most likely be a 1/2" or 3" inch LED strip. Currently i ttapped the domelight wires up near the dome light and have that running back to where i want the rear courtesy light.

3. And if its ok to run it off that, is there a way to also add a manual on/off switch for the footwells in conjunction with the dome light.
There is a place on the passenger side that you can tap the wires to. The factory harness comes down behind the fuse panel, in the taped harness there is about 2 Gray you will just need to test the wires to find the correct wire and the ground you can get off the frame for the dash.

It is OK to run that much power, we have done it a couple of times to some customer cars and they have no complaints.

You will need to install a diode that can stop power from back feeding to the dome light when you turn on the footwells.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need instructions and I can set you up with that.
Ricardo@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
1.) Yessir.
2.) Yessir.
3.) Yessir....

Couple videos always make it easier....

Josh helpin it out:

Houstonian:

The definitive How To from TonyNo!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=tonyno

Good luck and let us know if you need more help!!

Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Thanks Ricardo/Zero, I was meaning to ask those questions too.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Asian Zero

How would i go about wiring a diode to stop the back feed? Do i need to worry about fuses or is it ok bc the domelight is fused?

Thanks for the info so far guys, its really appreciated!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Ricardo@Phastek

Drives: the boss nuts....
Send a message via AIM to Ricardo@Phastek Send a message via Yahoo to Ricardo@Phastek
Quote:
How would i go about wiring a diode to stop the back feed? Do i need to worry about fuses or is it ok bc the domelight is fused?

Thanks for the info so far guys, its really appreciated!
The LED's will not draw enough to hurt it, you will be fine in that area. We have some diodes that we use on some of our stuff here is a link that will show you what they are.
Ricardo@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
MistyBlu10
GOBLIN

Drives: 2015 SS Convertable Green Flash
subscribed thanks

2015 2SS Green Flash Edition
2012 Camaro LFX 45th born 9/24/11 sold 4/1/15
2013 Equinox LTZ
2013 Cruze LTZ
2010 LT2 BLUE RS CAMARO TRADED FOR 45TH
2011 COLARADO Z71 TRADED FOR MALABU
2011 MALABU LTZ TRADED FOR BLUE CAMARO
2007 Z71 Avalanche LTZ
1987 K5 Blazer
BOWTIES AS BLOOD CELLS
GM RULES
MistyBlu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:

I tapped mine into the driver's side down near the dead panel. Gray wire, check this thread

This sets it up to come on anytime ambient interior lighting is on (night/darkness), is dimmable with the switch on the dash, or when the driver's door is opened after parked.

To switch it manually I bought a single pole switch from Radioshack like this took the grounding wire, cut it run one half to one pole. Then from the other pole back to the original grounding spot. That way I leave it on, but if I'm driving at night and want it off it's just a simple switch.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Asian Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I tapped mine into the driver's side down near the dead panel. Gray wire, check this thread

This sets it up to come on anytime ambient interior lighting is on (night/darkness), is dimmable with the switch on the dash, or when the driver's door is opened after parked.

To switch it manually I bought a single pole switch from Radioshack like this took the grounding wire, cut it run one half to one pole. Then from the other pole back to the original grounding spot. That way I leave it on, but if I'm driving at night and want it off it's just a simple switch.
So if im understanding that correctly you just attached a rocker switch to the ground end of the footwell LEDs? Is that safe?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
ec1990

Quote:
So if im understanding that correctly you just attached a rocker switch to the ground end of the footwell LEDs? Is that safe?
I inserted a switch along the course of the ground wire, without it being grounded it won't turn on. The amperage and wattage pulled by two LED strips is miniscule. You could also put the switch along the positive wire, whichever you prefer. Check this thread I found on another website.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Asian Zero

what about the amperage from 4 LED strips. i have some in the rear of my car too.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Asian Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post

I think there is a little bit of confusion here. I want to be able to turn the lights ON when im driving not turn them OFF. From my understanding if i have it connected to the dome light the footwells will only come on when the dome light is on. so having a switch at the grounded end will allow me to turn off the footwells while the dome light is on. I wont the reverse where i can turn on my footwells even with my dome light off.

Found this thread which helped alot:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150945

But im still looking for a better way to do it. I already have a add-a-circuit in my fuse box for my exterior lights so i dont want a hundred extra wires coming out of there. Ricardo from phastek was talking about using a diode to prevent back feed but im not exactly sure how to wire a system like that. anyone help me out?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
ec1990

Quote:
I think there is a little bit of confusion here. I want to be able to turn the lights ON when im driving not turn them OFF. From my understanding if i have it connected to the dome light the footwells will only come on when the dome light is on. so having a switch at the grounded end will allow me to turn off the footwells while the dome light is on. I wont the reverse where i can turn on my footwells even with my dome light off.

Found this thread which helped alot:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150945

But im still looking for a better way to do it. I already have a add-a-circuit in my fuse box for my exterior lights so i dont want a hundred extra wires coming out of there. Ricardo from phastek was talking about using a diode to prevent back feed but im not exactly sure how to wire a system like that. anyone help me out?
hmm the only help I could offer is you need a fuse/wire that is always active when the ignition is, I did this with a dashcam and radar detector off the same add-a-fuse.