Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #29
STEELE1

Drives: 2012 CHEVY CAMARO
carbon deposits

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik13 View Post
Picked it up today.
"carbon deposits on intake and exhaust valves. remove carbon from valves using procedure as outlined in bulletin #PIP5029B. road tested vehicle. no misfires present at this time."

My question is how does a car with 23k get carbon deposits??
I wanna know how does a 2012 with just a little over 8,000 miles get it? We always run premium gas.. GM just replaced the #5 coil 3 weeks ago and just had the control module replaced last week. That's why I bought a NEW car so I don't have to worry about all of these problems. I am so mad! GM has been cooperative SO FAR but I work full time and DON'T HAVE TIME for all this! I think I'm at the dealership MORE than the gas station!!! I almost wish I'd never bought it!!
STEELE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #30
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
http://www.bbb.org/us/auto-line-lemon-law/
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #31
scuba264

Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
I'm afraid I just had this happen too. I have a 2011 LS, barely 13000 miles and it was idling REALLY rough last night when I fired it up. Turned it off and back on and fixed. Worries me, I don't want to start having issues at 2 years and 2 months of ownership at such low mileage. Sketchy.

I'm going to plug in and see if I can pull any codes. Might be a trip to the dealer, joy...
Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #32
STEELE1

Thank you Birdible... I have been checking into the Lemon Law. That might be the route I have to take. It's just so frustrating to have a NEW vehicle with nothing but problems.... I want to pull my hair out!!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #33
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELE1 View Post
We bought a NEW 2012 V6 Camaro in October. We currently have 8,000 miles on it. On 1/14/13 the check eng lt came on so we took it to the dealership, they said #5 coil mis-fire and replaced. 1/16/13 - 2 days later, check eng lt back on another mis-fire but wanted to do more testing. 1/21/13 took the car back to the dealership they ran more tests and said it was the ECM (ECU) so they replaced that. Got the car back on Friday 1/25/13 on 1/30 check eng lt back on again!!! Got car back in to dealership, they said CARBON BUILD UP on 1 & 3 & 5 injectors and need replaced. The dealership suggested we run PREMIUM gas... we ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS run premium gas. A brand new car with this many problems!!!! WTH
I had this issue on cold mornings also, your dealer is just throwing parts at
it hoping the problem will go away.
Premuim gas is not the answer, this engine is designed for 87 octane.

You want www.toptiergas.com 87 it has the same detergents as premium.

I find that a bottle of dry gas, & fuel injector cleaner helps tremendously for old weather starting.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #34
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
what about Seafoam to clean the carbon build-up?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #35
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Dropped it off again today and they gave me another rental. Let's see what they say this time.

Please let us know any updates you may have. We are here if you have any questions!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 02-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #36
STEELE1

I don't want to start adding a bunch of crap to the fuel system because I know that's not the problem. There is NO WAY I should be having this many problems with a brand new car (less than 9,000 miles). The dealership told me that I didn't keep enough gas in it (I keep at least 1/4 tank - sometimes it might run a little lower) and that is why there is carbon deposits. But I have a 1999 GMC Sierra and havent had this many problems with it in the 12+ years I've owned it. I do have everything documented in case it comes to GM having to replace the car.

BTW... Mine is Inferno Orange with white rally stripes... I absolutely love that color.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #37
erik13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS
Quote:
I don't want to start adding a bunch of crap to the fuel system because I know that's not the problem. There is NO WAY I should be having this many problems with a brand new car (less than 9,000 miles). The dealership told me that I didn't keep enough gas in it (I keep at least 1/4 tank - sometimes it might run a little lower) and that is why there is carbon deposits. But I have a 1999 GMC Sierra and havent had this many problems with it in the 12+ years I've owned it. I do have everything documented in case it comes to GM having to replace the car.

BTW... Mine is Inferno Orange with white rally stripes... I absolutely love that color.
The carbon deposits are from not having enough gas??
erik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #38
STEELE1

Yeah, that's what they are 'trying' to say (eye roll) . I guess they think I'm a dumb girl and I will believe anything, but what they dont realize is that I have worked in the auto industry 20+ years so I do know a thing or two. They are probably amazed I can even drive a 6 speed/stick shift (sarcasm LOL)
Old 02-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #39
TooCool5

Quote:

If you run 10% ethanol in your gas out there that is the "crap" added to the gas. It attracts moisture to it and your engine cannot burn it off properly.
Dry Gas breaks it up so as not to effect combustion.
Trust me, I have been driving my LS 3 1/2 yrs now, I know what has worked for it.

Last edited by TooCool5; 02-06-2013 at 06:12 PM.
TooCool5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #40
erik13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS
Talked to the dealer today...they've had the car for 6 days now. They replaced the cats and did a reflash. Everything was ok until they took it outside in the cold. Engine light came on again!!
The tech called GM and they told him to clean the carbon deposits again.
I can only imagine if I had to pay for all this.
erik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #41
TooCool5

Quote:
Talked to the dealer today...they've had the car for 6 days now. They replaced the cats and did a reflash. Everything was ok until they took it outside in the cold. Engine light came on again!!
The tech called GM and they told him to clean the carbon deposits again.
I can only imagine if I had to pay for all this.
I have not had a problem this winter, added a bottle of dry gas and fuel cleaner in Jan. It does run a little rough on cold start up but NO misfires.
Works for me.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #42
Mezzmo

Drives: 2012 45th RS
Quote:

Sounds like you need to find another dealer. How is the gas in the tank going to keep carbon deposits off of the valves?!?! It's direct injected anyway. No fuel ever touches the valves. It's injected directly into the cylinder. My car sits in the winter, but I have had it out a couple nice days, and on the first start up, it runs like crap, throws CEL, service stabilitrac,etc. I shut it off and restart and it's fine. If it does it again, I'm going staright to the dealer. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.
Mezzmo is offline   Reply With Quote