Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Anyone with 2010 add HUD with a replacement windshield?

I bought a HUD kit for my 2010 SS but I don't have the original windshield. I had to get my windshield replaced and at that time I wasn't going to pay $1200 to get a 2011 windshield so I just got the cheapest replacement. I'm hoping there is no difference between the OEM windshield and the replacement windshield that will screw with the HUD image. Has anyone tried HUD on a replacement windshield?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
I haven't yet but I did ask this question last month. When I checked locally I could get a newer HUD windshield for around 600. IIRC it was about 250-300 more than the windshield w/o HUD. 1200 sounds really high.

I know someone here has put in a newer HUD windshield, but I don't remember who.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
This is the stock 2010 windshield, which does not have the HUD layer in the middle of the glass. Because the HUD layer does not exist, you get a double image. This bothers some people, and some people can't even see it (they need to visit their optometrist).

jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Bucci
Bucci

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
You really do need the HUD version of the windshield. It has a wedge shaped inner layer that allows proper reflection of the image...

Should only cost you about $200 (and maybe $100 shipping) not $1,200...

Can buy them all day for that price...
Old 03-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucci View Post
You really do need the HUD version of the windshield. It has a wedge shaped inner layer that allows proper reflection of the image...

Should only cost you about $200 (and maybe $100 shipping) not $1,200...

Can buy them all day for that price...
I had the Glass Doctor do the replacement on my windshield and I asked them at least 3 times what a 2011 windshield will cost and all three times I got the answer of $1200. I don't even had the original windshield so I'm really curious how the image is going to look. Can't you put a small tinted square on your windshield that the HUD image will reflect off of?

Please show me where I can buy a HUD compatible windshield for $200 and I will buy it right now.

Russ
Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
I had the Glass Doctor do the replacement on my windshield and I asked them at least 3 times what a 2011 windshield will cost and all three times I got the answer of $1200. I don't even had the original windshield so I'm really curious how the image is going to look. Can't you put a small tinted square on your windshield that the HUD image will reflect off of?

Please show me where I can buy a HUD compatible windshield for $200 and I will buy it right now.

Russ
Every windshield has a piece of vinyl inside of it. The HUD windshields have a wedge shaped piece of vinyl that cause the two images to line up. You're going to get a reflection with any piece of glass and that reflection will be on both the inner surface and the outer surface. Since the windshield is angled, these images do not line up. The vinyl wedge in the middle is angled such that the two images will align and produce a crisp reflection.

I doubt that your glass will be any worse than the OEM non-HUD glass.

BTW: GMParthouse lists the HUD and non-HUD windshields for the same price ($461.33), with MSRP being $591.45.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
Every windshield has a piece of vinyl inside of it. The HUD windshields have a wedge shaped piece of vinyl that cause the two images to line up. You're going to get a reflection with any piece of glass and that reflection will be on both the inner surface and the outer surface. Since the windshield is angled, these images do not line up. The vinyl wedge in the middle is angled such that the two images will align and produce a crisp reflection.

I doubt that your glass will be any worse than the OEM non-HUD glass.

BTW: GMParthouse lists the HUD and non-HUD windshields for the same price ($461.33), with MSRP being $591.45.

Thanks for the info, I wondered the difference between the HUD and non-HUD. The price of $461 is a hell of a lot better than $1,200 that's for sure.

Still waiting for someone to show we where I can buy one for $200.