Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
quickdraw

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Modify factory paint?

I'm at the dealer's paint shop today setting up getting my rally stripes painted on next week when my car shows up. During the conversation I show him a picture of the first Bumblebee and he says that he can take my rally yellow car and spray a tinted pearl over it then 3 coats of clear. He's putting together a price for me. Any of you knowledgeable paint guys have any ideas about this? I'm not trying to copy the BB paint job but the tinted pearl would certainly add some color and depth if it works right.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Kvapil28

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
It would look great. No I don't paint nor would I ever try to. I would just let the pros do it.. Let us know what you do bud.
Kvapil28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
He better know what he is doing when mixing the tint.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
Can we say sample? I would definately want to see before I agreed.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
vuduman67

Drives: Victory Red 2SS/RS
Hello, first time poster but have been lurkin for quite a while.
Anyway, I Own a small full service Collision Shop/restoration shop and also a small graphics company. I think Im qualified to give some advice on this subject.
The first thing you will need to do is make sure they are going to disasemble the car. By that I mean remove door handles, Belt mouldings and things like that. basically anything that comes in contact with the paint but is not painted. Ideally you should pull the windshield and backglass because of the contact of the moulding to the surface of the paint. I dont have my car yet:(
so im not sure what type of mouldings are on the glass so I dont know if you can cheat it a little and get away with masking them off nicely. What you are trying to avoid is having the pearl midcoat and the clear start flaking or peeling at the edges six months or a year from now.
Second thing is have them do a test panel of the color before you comit to anything. You definatly dont want to be surprised on the outcome. Getting the right shade can be tricky. Also make sure they have sprayed midcoat pearls before. To much overlap on your color can produce dark edges or blotches. They is definatly a technique to spraying Pearl.
If done properly it will look sweet!
Good Luck!
vuduman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
vuduman67

They also will need to remove the bumper covers (Facias) Because they need to be sprayed with a additional flex additive! Dont want any cracking!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
vuduman67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
I`m not a painter but I do know a couple of them and have had some conversation about painting so the 3 coats of clear sort of confuses me as I don`t recall them discussing that many coats of clear and if he is just applying clear to only the stripes, then it would leave a high edge along the side of your stripes. If you would, ask why him why 3 coats of clear?
I use three coats of clear somtimes on custom paint so that you can wetsand it out flatter. You end up sanding off the third coat by the time you are done! You are correct though to much clear can be a bad thing!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by vuduman67 View Post
I use three coats of clear somtimes on custom paint so that you can wetsand it out flatter. You end up sanding off the third coat by the time you are done! You are correct though to much clear can be a bad thing!
Sorry I deleted my original post when reread the OP and figured out he was talking about the whole car and not stripes, now the three coats makes sense.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
it can be done, same thing is done to the victory red to get it into the red jewl metallic.

just as a caution though, getting it perfectly matched probably wont happen. you'll get close though. and for alot cheaper then the actual valspar paint.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Vehicle wrapping is also an option.

In the future all vehicles will come with wrap over a generic basecoat.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
It may look cool when they are done but just hope you never get in an accident. It's going to be a pain to match it later...
Old 06-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
In the not to distant future, cars will be coated with a special light conducting coating, allowing you to change colors.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:14 AM   #13
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Quote:
In the not to distant future, cars will be coated with a special light conducting coating, allowing you to change colors.
I don't think I'll hold my breath on the not so distant future part of this one.
2000 (dealer received allocation):
2500 (order preferenced):
3000 (accepted to production):
3300 (scheduled for prod):
3400 (broadcast):
3800 (produced):
4000/4B00 (available to ship/bayed):
4200 (shipped):
4300 (intermediate, may be multiple):
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
quickdraw

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Sorry I deleted my original post when reread the OP and figured out he was talking about the whole car and not stripes, now the three coats makes sense.
The one thing I'm having done for sure is painted stripes on the hood and deck lid/spoiler. These will have clearcoat sprayed over the entire surface with light sanding being done around the edges of the stripes before the next coat to even out the edges of the stripe paint. The goal is to get a smooth surface where you can't see of feel this edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
it can be done, same thing is done to the victory red to get it into the red jewl metallic.

just as a caution though, getting it perfectly matched probably wont happen. you'll get close though. and for allot cheaper then the actual valspar paint.
I'm really not trying to get an exact match to the Valspar color, just trying to add a little of that blush in the color and get more depth in the flat RY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
It may look cool when they are done but just hope you never get in an accident. It's going to be a pain to match it later...
That is definitely the downside. I will be going with an invisible bra on the front to cut down on rock chips but even then you can't stop them all.