Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 04-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
Best brake pads for auto-x

My auto cross season starts next week and I'm wondering what everybody's opinion was on what brake pad is best. My car is a stock SS that has 31,000 miles on the original pads, I plan on getting a set of high performance tires at some point during the season, but for now I will be running on my all season Continental's. I need to save up some money before getting the tires(AND rims...), but could buy a set of pads pretty much anytime. I will be driving 40 miles to and from the events, so the pads need to be somewhat street friendly. Any opinions would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks!
Old 04-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Hawk HP Plus but they will be noisy on the street.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Synner

Drives: cars
HP+ are very good but dusty for autocross, road courses not so much due to temp range. If you keep them lubed they aren't very noisy. This is the highest temp stuff I've found on the market so it can handle everything short of heavy road course abuse which will cook it off.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24125.../dp/B0018PSASU
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
Thanks guys! I had seen an advertisement for the HP+ in an issue of 'Sports Car', thought it looked like they might be good a good choice. I don't mind brake dust too much, and can probably stand them being loud driving to and from events. Would that lube help with the noise at all?

Does anybody else have a different opinion they'd like to share? I'm open to any ideas.....
Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
We are having no issues on stock brembo pads, you dont really get into alot of brake heat issues in autoX since your only running one lap at a time vs. trackday guys running higher speeds with multiple laps
Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman 12 View Post
Thanks guys! I had seen an advertisement for the HP+ in an issue of 'Sports Car', thought it looked like they might be good a good choice. I don't mind brake dust too much, and can probably stand them being loud driving to and from events. Would that lube help with the noise at all?

Does anybody else have a different opinion they'd like to share? I'm open to any ideas.....
Yes it would help. I would put money into suspension mods before the pads though.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Bornluckee13
I fly

Drives: 2010 2SS, Stick, Cyber Gray
thumbs up on the HP+ pads, but i take them off as soon as I can afterwords and put my HPS's on!
There are only two options in life. Fight or flight. Most people run. Almost all people run. But not us. The difference between us and everyone else is that we run towards the gunfire. And that makes all the difference.
Bornluckee13 is offline   Reply With Quote