Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Jose

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS White S/C
Exclamation High temperature on my 2SS TVS2300 weird issue???

So, I was racing on a private area with a couple of friends today, everything was super. All of a sudden, I notice the temperature going higher than usual, I immediately stopped the car and turned it off, after a while, I went back and turned it on, temperature was higher than usual. I checked the water reservoir and it was barely marking, I checked everywhere and could not find a single drop of water or leak!!! I went to Autozone, it was like a minute away, and they performed the pressure test to the water system, they clamped the line going to the reservoir so pressure can be maintained, pressure was 100% OK it did not dropped a pound after a long period of time. After founding absolutely nothing, I went and filled it up again with water, turned it on, it was OK, went home, I was like 40 minutes away. During the whole trip, the temperature was perfect!!! Before getting home I punched it several times and temperature was perfect. My question is, what the hell happened???? Why the high temperature rise without no leaks???? Any ideas???

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
So, I was racing on a private area with a couple of friends today, everything was super. All of a sudden, I notice the temperature going higher than usual, I immediately stopped the car and turned it off, after a while, I went back and turned it on, temperature was higher than usual. I checked the water reservoir and it was barely marking, I checked everywhere and could not find a single drop of water or leak!!! I went to Autozone, it was like a minute away, and they performed the pressure test to the water system, they clamped the line going to the reservoir so pressure can be maintained, pressure was 100% OK it did not dropped a pound after a long period of time. After founding absolutely nothing, I went and filled it up again with water, turned it on, it was OK, went home, I was like 40 minutes away. During the whole trip, the temperature was perfect!!! Before getting home I punched it several times and temperature was perfect. My question is, what the hell happened???? Why the high temperature rise without no leaks???? Any ideas???

Thanks for the help!!!

Maybe there was air trapped in the system and it eventually burped itself out.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Jose

But where did the water went?? I put on it around 3 liters
Old 04-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
HeavyChevySS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Electrical issue with your gauges perhaps
HeavyChevySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
That coolant went somewhere . What supercharger system? I've seen reservoirs (plastic) crack and leak . It could be a lot of things. Drive it and keep an eye on it to see if it holds the coolant.
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
simon.w
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
Thermostat may have stuck shut, overheating the car and pushing the coolant out of the reservoir overflow. I've had that happen before (not in a camaro though).

Remove your thermostat, place it in a saucepan of water on a stove top, start heating it. If you have a cooking thermometer, stick that in the water and take note of what temp the tstat opens. It should be at temp stamped on it.

Let it cool down and repeat the process a few times to make sure it is opening and closing every time.
simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
lincoln361

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
You might have had a air pocket. Maybe also you should try getting a 160 thermostat as well, maybe that could help, but if you do that, you are going to have to get it re tuned
lincoln361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
How long have you had the s/c on?
Since your in PR, did you upgrade your thermostat to a 160? Who tuned it? Did the installer burp your system correctly? like others have said on an air pocket. Are your fan setting adjusted at all? Did you use distilled water? Because if you used tap water that's not good for the cooling system.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Jose

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions, so, Yes, the system was drained the first time, the SC has been in the car for almost one year and a half with absolutely no problems at all. The tuner was a GM certified shop. The reservoir have an overflow, but it's only when it's literally overfilled. Fans are adjusted to be on much earlier than normal, to prevent any issue with temperature. I will eventually will get to the answer of this.

Thanks guys!!! This forum is awesome!!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
these thing get air locked . it may of had air in it for a while just finally burped itself.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote