Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
How to remove RTV?

Ok so long story short, I need to reopen my headlights to fix something. If I remember correctly, my friend used black RTV. Does anybody know how to remove it? Do I just heat it up with a heat gun and crack it open?

Really need some help here you guys. Thanks.
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Gator6977

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Heating up RTV can cause a pretty nasty mess if it starts to melt. Usually with that stuff you can simply pull it back apart. Work a razor blade, carefully, around where you can and cut into the channel. Then gently, but firmly, pull it back apart. When I do mine, I use adhesive sealant. That requires being put back in the oven and comes apart more like the factory stuff. In the end, so long as it keeps the moisture out, its good stuff.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
Thanks Gator.

The RTV was the black kind and it was pretty heat resistant. I used a heat gun and I was able to pry it open. I then used a single blade razor to remove the majority of the RTV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote