Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Motopsycho

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
3M Paint Defender or paint film

Has anyone used this new 3M Paint Defender system? I really want to get some kind of paint protection film for my 2010 SS, but I am debating whether I want to pay someone to put on the film or try it myself with this new paint defender stuff. I suppose I could always test it out on the wife's car first. I don't like the idea of handing over my car to someone for a day to put the film on the front end unless I know that they are a reputable establishment that respect's other people property. Ziebart sucks.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
kmthor00

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
That "DIY" system can br found demonstrating on you tube. I personally just had the majority of my ZL1 done, was also unsure of the hop but checked him out good, lots of high end cars & also made him aware of the exact mileage when I dropped it off.
kmthor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
2ndtimess
2ndtimeSS

Drives: 2010 2SS 6 speed Infernal Orange
Had the front of my corvette done works well but the film will scratch
2ndtimess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Has anyone used this new 3M Paint Defender system? I really want to get some kind of paint protection film for my 2010 SS, but I am debating whether I want to pay someone to put on the film or try it myself with this new paint defender stuff. I suppose I could always test it out on the wife's car first. I don't like the idea of handing over my car to someone for a day to put the film on the front end unless I know that they are a reputable establishment that respect's other people property. Ziebart sucks.
I tried it on hood and rocker panels. After all was said and done the rocker panels were only 3m paint defender remained. I follow directions to the tee was not impressed.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
LuvGen5

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
For your consideration, I have Avery Nano Fusion paint film on my RS. For the past 3 years, I'm thoroughly satisfied with the chip protection it is providing and it also protected the paint from a hit/run scrap on the front end. The paint film was peeled off to reveal an undamaged paint surface.
LuvGen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Motopsycho

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'd like to get the nose, hood, and mirrors done. I have ground FX on my car so I don't know if doing the rocker panels would be worthwhile. I suppose the lower rear quarters could also be an option. I know of one guy that does high end cars and exotics, so I would probably trust him more than anybody else in the area. What are the typical costs to get this done?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Varies by vendor, product, and what is covered. Typical cost is $250-1000.

I paid $500 (Ziebart) for the complete front (minus the hood), mirrors, and gill area.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote