Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
RavenZL1

Drives: ZL1
Catch Can and Warranty

Hi All,

First, sorry for another catch can thread but I have been following several of the other threads and really have not seen this discussed.

While I definitely see the value in installing a catch can, my concern is that installing one could allow GM to void warranty coverage on the engine and supercharger. I understand this is a personal choice for each person, but I was just wondering if others had thought about this. I picked up the extended warranty, 7 years 84,000 miles and while I would really like to put a catch can on, I'm just not sure if I want to risk it.

Thanks,

Greg
RavenZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
7 years 84k miles? why would you do that when the car comes with 5yrs/100k miles? my warranty is fine and im using a catch can
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
a catch can won't void your warranty, not to worry.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
RavenZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
7 years 84k miles? why would you do that when the car comes with 5yrs/100k miles? my warranty is fine and im using a catch can
7 years 84k miles is bumper to bumper and I will be hitting 5 years way before I hit 100K miles. I got a very good deal on it and besides the extra 4 years bumper to bumper I also picked up an extra 2 years on the drivetrain.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Sugar's ZL1
Ron and Sugar

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1 Vert A6
I did the same thing as far as 7/84. I figure I'll have maybe 10K on it in 5 years.
If I had any plans to trade, I would not have done the 7/84.

I Love My 08 Pek a Poo
Sugar's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
ok so its bumper to bumper, makes better sense now. I wish I would've been offered that cuz with the miles I drive ill be out of warranty on my '12 by Christmas this year
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
With all that coverage I'm thinking you're good! I may buy additional warranty but my dealer said I had to do it within the 3 yr 60,000km period. So my plan was to wait and see how good she behaves in the first three years. I more lean on the time frame because where I live there is no way I could hit the mileage. I was not offered any deal to purchase additional warranty so I passed. Good for you to have given yourself many years of worry free ownership!
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
RavenZL1

They originally quoted me over $2,500 for the warranty but I had done some homework. I told them $1450 was all I would pay for the 7/84 and I wanted GMPP Major Guard coverage and if they couldn't do it I would purchase it elsewhere.

I'm just worried about giving GM a reason to deny a warranty claim. I am more than satisfied with the ZL1 in stock form so although I have always been a mod guy in the past, I have no thoughts of doing any mechanical mods to this car. I do see a definite benefit to the catch can though and would really like to put one on but again it's the fear of something happening and them pointing to the catch can.

I also understand the warranty act and the fact that they are supposed to prove that the part caused the problem, however trying to actually fight that is easier said than done.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler H View Post
With all that coverage I'm thinking you're good! I may buy additional warranty but my dealer said I had to do it within the 3 yr 60,000km period. So my plan was to wait and see how good she behaves in the first three years. I more lean on the time frame because where I live there is no way I could hit the mileage. I was not offered any deal to purchase additional warranty so I passed. Good for you to have given yourself many years of worry free ownership!
You don't have to get it from your dealer. If purchased before 12 months you can get it from any dealer over the phone. I got mine from becky@rodgerschevrolet , she gave me a great price. She told me that after a year they have to do an inspection before extending it. I wanted the bumper to bumper. Check out the price of one caliper, it's more than you can get the plan for.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Wish it covered tires. I have a hole in one of them.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Matt@510
Account Suspended

Drives: c6 vette cam & full bolt-ons
catch can will not affect your warranty in any way
Matt@510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
I have never heard of anyone having a denied warranty claim over a catch can. I wouldn't worry about it a bit.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenZL1 View Post
They originally quoted me over $2,500 for the warranty but I had done some homework. I told them $1450 was all I would pay for the 7/84 and I wanted GMPP Major Guard coverage and if they couldn't do it I would purchase it elsewhere.

I'm just worried about giving GM a reason to deny a warranty claim. I am more than satisfied with the ZL1 in stock form so although I have always been a mod guy in the past, I have no thoughts of doing any mechanical mods to this car. I do see a definite benefit to the catch can though and would really like to put one on but again it's the fear of something happening and them pointing to the catch can.

I also understand the warranty act and the fact that they are supposed to prove that the part caused the problem, however trying to actually fight that is easier said than done.

Hello RavenZL1,

You are very correct in you understanding of the warranty and how it works. Any issue would have to be proven as a result of any modifications. It is great to see how knowledgeable you are or the subject. If there is anything we may be able to insist you with, let us know. We're happy to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care