Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
Johnthegreat

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS black camaro
cheap catch cans.

My mechanic installed these catch cans on his camaro
Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=321156183402. He. Actually installed two so if one misses the other will catch it.he wonders why people pay so much for rx and others. And it got me thinking. Why do we pay so much when u can buy these for 23 bucks. Im going to have him install mines this week.
Johnthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthegreat View Post
Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=321156183402. He. Actually installed two so if one misses the other will catch it.he wonders why people pay so much for rx and others. And it got me thinking. Why do we pay so much when u can buy these for 23 bucks. Im going to have him install mines this week.
Because those don't actually trap much. Even two inline won't catch all the oil. They are just empty cans with ins and outs on them. Thank you for questioning everyone else's reasoning for spending a little more on a REAL catchcan though.

Nice pic.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
Johnthegreat

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS black camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Because those don't actually trap much. Even two inline won't catch all the oil. They are just empty cans with ins and outs on them. Thank you for questioning everyone else's reasoning for spending a little more on a REAL catchcan though.

Nice pic.
First off I was just asking a question about why buy rx vs these. Second of all internet ass hole that's what this site is all about.
Johnthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218757
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
nebchevy

Drives: 2011 2SS SGM Camaro
I belive in the old saying you get what you pay for.... I know for a fact that my elite has testing behind it.

No trying to be rude and hope you dont take as such. I was going to buy the RX can but I would advise against that and not because of the can per say but the man..

nebchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Because those don't actually trap much. Even two inline won't catch all the oil. They are just empty cans with ins and outs on them.
That pretty much sums it up. An empty can will collect some oil but without some sort of baffling/filtration system to slow down the oil vapor and give it something to condense against the vast majority with pass straight through.

As you can see in the cut away photo, the inlet and outlet are so close that they almost touch. Literally millimeters apart. The vacuum will not even allow the gases to swirl around the can. It will be sucked out as soon as soon as it passes through the inlet.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Lets see not much in those cans. Oh checked made in China. That is why they are so cheap. I will gladly pay for a can that works and MADE IN THE USA.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
I saw another member mention UPR Catch Cans. They may not be the cheapest but the price is cheaper. Looks similar to the Elite can.

http://www.uprproducts.com/chevrolet...camaro-10.html
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Hmmm to continue your thoughts about folks on this site, did your "mechanic" or your greatness ever search "catch cans"? Well allow me, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284219

Those catchcans have been around for more than ten years, I actually had one and that chity catchcan would leak from every damn where, then finally that stupid tube blew out!

You come in here questioning and insulting everyone that has a quality and R&D catchcans that are supporters of this site and YOU are the one that gets emotional? Wow.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
I just don't understand why people try to re-invent the damn wheel and cut corners when it comes to taking care of your engine. Why WOULDN'T you spend 150$ on a GOOD catch can that you know WORKS? Why WOULD you spend 35$ on an ebay catch can just to save some dollars? Good for you and your "mechanic", that you guys found a way to save money. Good luck to your engine.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Secret Squirrel

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu
I didn't really get that the OP was trying to insult anyone. Just asking a question. Maybe there was a better way to ask it, but I don't think it's worth attacking over.

That said, if you care about your engine, (which I'm assuming is why you want a catch can) you would spend the extra money to get one that has been tested and proven. Unless you are looking for something to dress up your engine compartment, you are wasting your 23, or 46 bucks on something that won't actually do what it is you want it to do. Give yourself the piece of mind of going with a brand that has been proven. RX, Elite, Mike Norris, etc...Like nebchevy said, you get what you pay for. That is not a theory I would personally test on my engine.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
if u are some what smart u can make a baffle for the cheap ones and do pretty good. but if u dont like messing with stuff . just get a good one. the cheap ones do catch some tho.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
I just don't understand why people try to re-invent the damn wheel and cut corners when it comes to taking care of your engine. Why WOULDN'T you spend 150$ on a GOOD catch can that you know WORKS? Why WOULD you spend 35$ on an ebay catch can just to save some dollars? Good for you and your "mechanic", that you guys found a way to save money. Good luck to your engine.
if ppl didnt reinvent the wheel u would be rolling on stones at the moment. it may not be re inventing. but improving or applyin to whats there for ppl that dont have the extra money. also if ppl didnt do that u would be happy to pay 150 for a catch can cause with out cheap stuff . things would be over priced big time.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Snagged an RX black catch can from Jannetty today. In stock...or was.

Had a tiny one like an air/oil separator from Jeg's and when I saw how much it trapped I was surprised & decided I needed a real one.