Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: Mini Cooper S
we added some extra protection from the FL heat for my A6 tranny (pics inside)

this idea all started out from last week when I went on a 130 mile poker run with the Central FL BMW Assoc. (I use to drive a BMW so I've been grandfathered in - lol) the journey was fun but I had to drive my car pretty hard in order to keep up with some of the higher end BMWs. the day's high temp was like 96F and my A6 tranny was definitely feeling the heat. it was then that I knew I needed some extra cooling protection to keep my temps from going over 200F like they did that day.

so here's my setup. this is a pretty beefy tranny cooler which will more than do the job. I probably could have done this myself with a buddy of mine but I chose to have it professionally installed. so I went to my buddies at Next Level Performance http://www.nlperformance.com to have this taken care of. as usual, they did a very clean, and a very professional installation of the cooler.

nose taken off. ready for the cooler to be installed.

cooler installed. very nice and clean installation. the unit looks like it could have came on the car straight from GM.

AN fittings installed directly on to the tranny lines. this is about as clean as clean can get. I was very impressed with how nice everything turned out.

putting my Bumblebee's nose back on.

and here's the finished product. it's kind of hard to see which is obviously a good thing. today was a pretty hot day and I drove the car home pretty hard. I could not get the tranny temps to go over 175F during the 35 mile drive home. I hope this simple addition will give my A6 some extra protection for many miles to come.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Considering the red zone is 320... I am thinking 200 is not a big deal... sounds like you wasted some bank here. Mine runs at 200 in the "not so hot" north all the time. I am going on a 200 mile trip tomorrow, I will watch it...

I still think this was unnecessary to keep it 25 degrees cooler but its your money... you obvioulsly have a lot of it. You plan on towing something?
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
I was told that the camaro has a good trans cooler and even with my s/c it was recommended by a top tier shop to " dont waste your money on it".
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Peace of mind is worth so much more than a few hundred dollars, nice purchase dude!
Old 05-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Heat is the #1 cause of transmission failure - especially under racing conditions. The 6L80E will need it. Most people are unwilling to spend the dollars on preventative items such as coolers, radiators, axles, tranny upgrades, safety equipement, etc. until it is too late. Nice purchase and install.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharp View Post
I was told that the camaro has a good trans cooler and even with my s/c it was recommended by a top tier shop to " dont waste your money on it".
I've got two things going against me:

1) the hot central FL weather can be brutal. it takes it's toll on everything including high performance cars.

2) my supercharger is putting much more stress on the tranny than what it was obviously designed for.

-so hopefully the lowered fluid temps will help to push the odds in my favor with my tranny living longer. that's worth some piece of mind to me. I believe in overkill vs not having enough. the shop that did the install also believes in having too much cooling vs not having enough. they mainly specialize in Corvettes in which they put coolers on almost anything that has fluids in their cars.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Heat is the #1 cause of transmission failure - especially under racing conditions. The 6L80E will need it. Most people are unwilling to spend the dollars on preventative items such as coolers, radiators, axles, tranny upgrades, safety equipement, etc. until it is too late. Nice purchase and install.
yup. $370 (price of actual parts) is much cheaper than spending $3500 on a new tranny.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
nice idea.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
nice idea.
thanks but the idea for this setup didn't come from me. another forum member has his done and I basically went by his suggestion(s).
Old 05-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
nice set up,, looks almost like mine,,

cooler is better:
Attached Images

415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #11
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
nice set up,, looks almost like mine,,

cooler is better:
yup. thanks again for all your suggestions. although we did miss two items. we needed two male AN fittings because we only had female fittings and it wouldn't have worked w/o the two male fittings.

thankfully there was a shop locally that had them in stock. otherwise I would have been SOL for a few days.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #12
REAPER SS

Drives: 2010 CAMARO BLK 2SS/L99
I think its money well invested. The cooler the better.
REAPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Is it possible for you to post the parts list you used here? I am a believer, and living is South Florida have seen trans temps up to 220+ with spirited driving. I fitted a 'cheap' cooler to my old Mustang GT, its has 104,000 miles on it now.

Thanks,
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
great idea and very clean execution.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties