Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Brownster

Drives: 1966 GTO Convertible/ZL1 Vert
Camber

I was recently told that the ZL1 was set up at the factory with increased camber for track usage.

Does anyone know if this is true as I am not tracking the car and would like to get more milage out of the tires.

Thanks!
Brownster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownster View Post
I was recently told that the ZL1 was set up at the factory with increased camber for track usage.

Does anyone know if this is true as I am not tracking the car and would like to get more milage out of the tires.

Thanks!
Okay question to you. Whom exactly told you this? It was told to you by someone face to face or you read it? Just wondering how by changing the camber is going to effectively give you better gas mileage? Yes you won't track the car but you will have to turn it around corners to get somewhere. You don't drive straight all of the time. Air pressure in your tires is going to change mileage more than camber. I checked and the setting from the factory is set to -1.00 degrees. What degree were you planning to start at? You will change the tire wear point when changing the camber.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Brownster

I am not coming at this as a gas mileage issue.
Reread my post.
I was told by a Corvette owner (face to face)that the camber was set up for better performance on the track.
I understand that the tires wear more especially on the outside edges because of this.
I am just asking this because since I do not track the car I will sacrifice some performance for tire life.
Thats all.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Brownster

I probably would not change camber anyway.

My rear tires are wearing out faster than the fronts.

I mainly want to know if what he told me was correct.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
The ZL1 camber spec is -1.0* +/- 0.75* (front), -0.5* +/- 0.75* (rear)
SS spec is -0.8* +/- 0.75* (front), -0.4* +/- 0.75* (rear)

So, to answer your question, there is more camber on the ZL1.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
MPR

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I don't think -1.0 degree camber is track usage alignment but you can set your camber to 0.0 and drive very slow (no powerslide or burnouts) and always keeping good air pressure should give you better mileage on the tires. I won't be surprise if you get a couple thousand miles more from them.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
Camber doesn't necessarily kill tires, it's Toe in/out. And if camber is set anywhere UNDER -2, there is no effective decrease in mileage for the tires. I've had customers run -2.5 camber on the fronts of their vehicles with no issues. Sure if you run -2.5 on the driven wheels (rear wheels in this case), then yeah that's going to help diminish the tires a bit, but what really is the destroyer of tires is toe.

In short, NO adjusting factory specifications for camber, which are pretty minimal given what strych9 posted above, is not going to increase or decrease any mileage in the tires.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Brownster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
Camber doesn't necessarily kill tires, it's Toe in/out. And if camber is set anywhere UNDER -2, there is no effective decrease in mileage for the tires. I've had customers run -2.5 camber on the fronts of their vehicles with no issues. Sure if you run -2.5 on the driven wheels (rear wheels in this case), then yeah that's going to help diminish the tires a bit, but what really is the destroyer of tires is toe.

In short, NO adjusting factory specifications for camber, which are pretty minimal given what strych9 posted above, is not going to increase or decrease any mileage in the tires.
Ok.,Thanks

I was just trying to confirm/deny what I was told.