Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
UTcamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
suspension help

Ok so I have been going through these threads for weeks trying figure the best suspension for my camaro. But I just cant seem to figure out what is best for myself so i figured I would jut ask. So heres the deal I am stationex in germany and would like to upgrade my suspension to handle the turns here at high speeds.I would also like to take it the track here. I am on some what of a budget. So is there a good budget kit for what I am looking for or should I order parts individuallu. If I order them individual can you know which parts are must to the least importamt parts?
UTcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Sway bars are by far the best bang for the buck suspension wise. From there, a few key bushings to tighten things up along with a good alignment will bake a good difference as well.

I suggest looking into the Pfadt stage 3 ZL spec kit. This addresses the key weak links in the suspension and will really transform the way your car handles. The ZL spec bars will require upgrading the lower control arms to the 2012+ FE4 style LCA's but it is definitely worth it.

We also have the sport bars available that will all bolt up to your current LCA's that are a bit more affordable if you wish to go that route. Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions or pricing.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Tyler is dead on. The Pfadt ZL1 Spec Stage 3 is a killer upgrade that covers all of the major shortcomings of the factory set up. Sway bars and the rear cradle bushings are what I would address first if you were going to do it a piece at a time.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
GroundPilot

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS "Bridgette"
Question is, how does the car ride? I have been contemplating coilovers so I can lower the car and yet have a near factory ride. I do not want a race car ride, even if I would like race car handling. I know, I know that is asking a lot.
GroundPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Coil overs are, of course, the ultimate but Pfadt lowering springs ride very well. They are probably the best riding lowering springs available for these cars. Their solid rear cradle bushings do not have much if any impact either.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundPilot View Post
Question is, how does the car ride? I have been contemplating coilovers so I can lower the car and yet have a near factory ride. I do not want a race car ride, even if I would like race car handling. I know, I know that is asking a lot.
I have the Phadt Stage II ZL-Spec package. (Beefy sways and 1.25 drop springs). Other than having to be creative entering/exiting steep driveway approaches due to the drop it pretty much rides close to stock. A quick drive through the twisties and you'll forget all about the little bit of compromise on the ride quality. This is the way the car should have come from the factory.

Obviously coil-overs will give you the ability to dial in the ride quality over drop springs but they aren't cheap. If you can afford them, go for it. I look at my upgrade using drop springs as a stepping stone to coil-overs down the road. In the mean time I'm loving the car more every day

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundPilot View Post
As the others said, the ride with springs is still quite good. Pfadt springs lower the car 1.25" which is about perfect for looks and performance IMO.

If you did want to go with coilovers, we could certainly drop the springs and work out a custom package. Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTcamaro View Post
Ok so I have been going through these threads for weeks trying figure the best suspension for my camaro. But I just cant seem to figure out what is best for myself so i figured I would jut ask. So heres the deal I am stationex in germany and would like to upgrade my suspension to handle the turns here at high speeds.I would also like to take it the track here. I am on some what of a budget. So is there a good budget kit for what I am looking for or should I order parts individuallu. If I order them individual can you know which parts are must to the least importamt parts?
Before i can give you any recommendations i need to know a bit more what where you stand currently, and where you want to go. I don't just want to give you a parts list of things with out knowing the following.

What kind of budget are you looking to stay with?
Did you want to lower the car?
Are you stock powerwise or do you have HP add ons?
What are the short term goals (6 months) and long term goals (1-2 years)
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
UTcamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
Before i can give you any recommendations i need to know a bit more what where you stand currently, and where you want to go. I don't just want to give you a parts list of things with out knowing the following.

What kind of budget are you looking to stay with?
Did you want to lower the car?
Are you stock powerwise or do you have HP add ons?
What are the short term goals (6 months) and long term goals (1-2 years)
I would say 1500 is my max, yes on lowering, I have an aftermarket exhaust and cai with it chipped. Short goals is to have something that can handle at the track and the speeds that I can drive here. Long term goals is to add more hp and add to the suspension .
UTcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
I would go with the following then

Springs
FE4 Swaybars and Rear Arms / with Links
Subframe Bushing Inserts
Radius Arm Inserts

I assume that you use an APO address, but with the Military discount i should be able to get you taken care of in your budget.

if you are interested let me know via PM for pricing and links etc.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
I would say 1500 is my max, yes on lowering, I have an aftermarket exhaust and cai with it chipped. Short goals is to have something that can handle at the track and the speeds that I can drive here. Long term goals is to add more hp and add to the suspension .
Our Level 2 handling performance package (HPP019) with the "pro" total bushing upgrade would be a perfect option for you. IT will come with our BMR front and rear sway bars, BMR 1" lowering springs, and our BMR "pro" total suspension bushing kit which includes our "pro" rear cradle bushings and differential bushings. This kit will be well under budget and really improve the performance and handling of your car. Adding these parts to your car will give you a much better base to start adding horsepower to and will give you room to grow.

Also many places don't like to ship to APO addresses but that won't be a problem for us. If you have any questions or if there is something we can help you out with let us know.

Here is a link to our Level 2 handling package:

http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=854

Here is a link showing the bushings in the "pro" total suspension bushing kit:

http://bmrsuspension.com/index.cfm?p...&productid=464
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Given your budget I would suggest the following:

Pfadt Stage 2 ZL-Spec Package - Springs and FE4 sways w/arm package*
Prothane Sub-frame Mounts and Radius Inserts
Spohn Rear trailing arms and toe-links w/outer bushings

This package would come in well under budget and it will provide excellent handling! Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions. Good luck with your project and I look forward to talking with you!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote