The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > C7 Ordering, Pricing, Order Tracking Discussions

Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Rdd3

Drives: 2014 Corvette Z51
Dealer allocation question

I'll start by saying that I'd really appreciate some input from someone who knows specifically how the dealer allocation/ordering process works (as opposed to speculation).

I did a lot of research and was going to order a new C7 from one of the large dealers with big allocations (talked to several). I had even worked out courtesy delivery with a local dealer. But I then found a dealer in my state that had allocation and was willing to sell for MSRP (everyone else who had allocation wanted $3-$5K or more). I'd ideally like to trade in my current car (2012 Chally SRT-8 392) as the sales tax laws in my state make it pretty attractive. So anyway, I decided to order from the in-state dealer.

These guys are in a small town and had an allocation of 3 Stingrays. They'd already gotten their first allocation and ordered their first car when I ordered mine (early August). I put down a $5k deposit, on the condition that it was fully refundable at my option up until the point that they used their allocation to order the car (got this signed by the GM of the dealership). They put the car into the order workbench and gave me an order number, which I am able to track online (but I understand that that means nothing until they actually place that order against an allocation).

I have been bugging them periodically and they always respond promptly, but the answer is always the same. They are waiting for Chevy to give them the green light to order the car, and they have absolutely no idea when that might be. I find this a little unsettling, as the big Corvette dealers all seemed to know exactly how many allocations they could order against and exactly when. We're also getting to the point where it seems like even with only 3 allocations, the second one would have come up by now (assuming distribution over May-November, which is what I was told).

Sorry for the rambling. What I want to know, from someone who understands how the allocation process works, is:

A) Is it reasonable that a dealer with an allocation for three 2014 Stingrays might not have gotten their second allocation yet, and assuming yes,

B) Is is reasonable/normal that they would have absolutely no idea when the allocation will come up?

Thanks in advance. I keep reading more and watching more videos and now I want the car more than ever! And I'm getting worried about whether I am actually going to ever get one, and about whether I should go get my deposit back.

Bob
Rdd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
I have been told on many occasions I understand the process so I will answer your two questions.

Yes it is both reasonable and likely the dealer has not received their second allocation.

As to the second it comes down to what is meant by absolutely no idea. I kid you not. If the initial production exceeds preliminary projection, the second one will come sooner, but are we (including the dealer) to know? Only by extremes; say after the inital 3000 customer orders are delivered dealer stock grows as only the people already ordering want to buy a Stingray. That will stretch the time frame over say nine months so the second allocation may not come for three, four, maybe even nine months.

But say there is a great demand and dealer stock units sell just as quickly as the customer orders: then the time frame may be say three months and the dealer may get an allocation every month.

There are no hard and fast answers, so your dealer is being reasonable in the second instance.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
jdb1218

Drives: 2014 Silver Corvette Stingray
The issue is they have a total of 3 allocations spread across 6-9 months. The good news is, you are number 2. The bad news is, it could be October before they get the next one.

Here is a good description of the allocation process.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...and-2-a-2.html
jdb1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Good call. Post #26 is the best on that page but the half dozen or so posts leading up to that post kind of give a context.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
Jay_Levine

Drives: 2014 Corvette
I am in a similar situation. I am #3 for a vert. My dealer said maybe next week. It has been a long wait. But I don't think it is BS. I think everyone is in the same boat. They have not even started vert production so hard to say when it will be delivered.
Jay_Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:25 AM   #6
Rdd3

Drives: 2014 Corvette Z51
Thanks much for the answers. The dealers is being very responsive and it seems like what they are telling me is probably correct, so I'll just keep bugging them and hope for the best.
Rdd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Jay_Levine

Drives: 2014 Corvette
I am on a every 2 week bug thing
Jay_Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
billbunton

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Send a message via MSN to billbunton
It's also a matter of what the allocations are for. My dealer was advised they'd get three allocations, two coupes and one vert. So whoever orders the second coupe is probably in for a pretty long wait, assuming the vert is the next allocation released.
billbunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
GreenC7Z-51

Drives: '04 C5 Z06 Le Mans, '14 C7 Z51
Get your order in already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Levine View Post
I am on a every 2 week bug thing
Jay, you see from the post after yours how it works for dealers that only get 3 cars, for the 6-9 month period. Dan Houser (404) 550-6122 will set you up with an order at MSRP, then you can relax and wait like the rest of us. Why put your self through two waiting periods.

I got strung along for months by a dealer that wasn't even going to get early cars. I too had a loyalty to my local dealer, and got set back 2 months on a waiting list prior to may. Hendricks had me on the list at #30 by the time I called, but they were able to get my order in quite quickly.

I know he has to order 6 coupes today, I'm unclear how many verts he has available now, but today is the cutoff for this concession, they will order for the dealership if no one calls for these! Get what you want and get an order in!
GreenC7Z-51 is offline   Reply With Quote