Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Compare track packages by Lateral G's

I lot of you guys upgraded your suspension with track packages.
I'm hoping some of you have numbers to share from their GPS or other tracking device.
Personally, I’ve upgraded to the GMPP 1LE track pack and my highest (peak) lateral G recorded was 1.57g
I'd like to know and compare the difference between them.
Attached Images

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
You can't compare data acquired through different equipment accurately. In addition to that peak Gs are not the measure you would want to use. I can take a car out to the skid pad, flick the wheel and generate a high peak G. The number is of limited value. The condition of the track surface is a major factor as our tires. To do a direct comparison would take big bucks. You would need a skid pad for a few days. Consistent weather is a must. For five suspensions you would need five cars with no alterations other than suspension running identical equipment and option packages. The alignments would have to be standardized as would the data collection equipment and installation of equipment. The data you see in magazines tries to approximate these conditions.

In all our track outings with a variety of drivers and 5th Gens 1.38 sustained Gs is the highest we have recorded on street tires. How high is that number? The theoretical limit for a street tire is 1.3 Gs. The guys from Pfadt have posted similar numbers. The Z/28 with what amounts to street legal slicks for tires running our tire sizes (305/30/19) should be able to increase that.

A friend of mine from GM is the Back-to-back T1 National Champion in an exceptionally well prepared Vette. Here is what has been posted about his race car on slicks.

96CollectorSport
CF Senior Member
Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America

"Buttermore sees spikes of 2.0 g and sustained in the 1.4-1.5 area, I would think with areo ST2 cars should see a little higher than that. I've seen numbers similar to Wallys with Geffs ST2/TTS car, depending on track surface."

1.38 is as good as it can get with street tires in a 5th Gen. Lacking a direct technically sound comparison head out to an autocross or HPDE and see who the fast guys are. In the end, that is the only comparison that matters.

CamaroCross
Top 10 Fastest Cars
Camaro5Fest 4

99 ....Danny Popp........34.868 - LPE / Pedders
29....Todd Rumpkey.....35.344 - Raymond's Performance / Pedders
725..Jordan Priestly.....35.429 - JDP Motorsports / Pfadt
8......Ryan Matthews....35.516 - Detroit Speed / JRI
3......Rob Anderson......35.570 - Wretched Motorsports / Pedders
40....Tim Martin............35.997
17....Scott McAdams....36.761 Pedders
13....Mike Rupp............36.797 Pedders

54....Bryan Johnson.....37.326
5......Benjamin Parker..37.576 Pedders

For the record, Jason drove the wheels off his JDP shop car
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You can't compare data acquired through different equipment accurately. In addition to that peak Gs are not the measure you would want to use. I can take a car out to the skid pad, flick the wheel and generate a high peak G. The number is of limited value. The condition of the track surface is a major factor as our tires. To do a direct comparison would take big bucks. You would need a skid pad for a few days. Consistent weather is a must. For five suspensions you would need five cars with no alterations other than suspension running identical equipment and option packages. The alignments would have to be standardized as would the data collection equipment and installation of equipment. The data you see in magazines tries to approximate these conditions.

In all our track outings with a variety of drivers and 5th Gens 1.38 sustained Gs is the highest we have recorded on street tires. How high is that number? The theoretical limit for a street tire is 1.3 Gs. The guys from Pfadt have posted similar numbers. The Z/28 with what amounts to street legal slicks for tires running our tire sizes (305/30/19) should be able to increase that.

A friend of mine from GM is the Back-to-back T1 National Champion in an exceptionally well prepared Vette. Here is what has been posted about his race car on slicks.

96CollectorSport
CF Senior Member
Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America

"Buttermore sees spikes of 2.0 g and sustained in the 1.4-1.5 area, I would think with areo ST2 cars should see a little higher than that. I've seen numbers similar to Wallys with Geffs ST2/TTS car, depending on track surface."

1.38 is as good as it can get with street tires in a 5th Gen. Lacking a direct technically sound comparison head out to an autocross or HPDE and see who the fast guys are. In the end, that is the only comparison that matters.

CamaroCross
Top 10 Fastest Cars
Camaro5Fest 4

99 ....Danny Popp........34.868 - LPE / Pedders
29....Todd Rumpkey.....35.344 - Raymond's Performance / Pedders
725..Jordan Priestly.....35.429 - JDP Motorsports / Pfadt
8......Ryan Matthews....35.516 - Detroit Speed / JRI
3......Rob Anderson......35.570 - Wretched Motorsports / Pedders
40....Tim Martin............35.997
17....Scott McAdams....36.761 Pedders
13....Mike Rupp............36.797 Pedders

54....Bryan Johnson.....37.326
5......Benjamin Parker..37.576 Pedders

For the record, Jason drove the wheels off his JDP shop car
Thanks pete, Always a pleasure reading you.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
IN addition to the above replies. You dont want the car/LS3 or any LS motor to stick too well. You're gonna starve the bottom half of the motor of oil without a dry sump system.

I am contemplating an accusump system once i figure out what my car is actually capable of at ECR and various road courses.

When i started planning this motor build i actually considered a true dry sump but just couldnt justify the extra 3K plus since i only plan the occasional track day with the newb group.

I will run an extra 1/2 qt or so of oil when i do track it.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote