Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
machina

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Tire shine spots..

Today I noticed spots all over my car that looked like tiny grease spots. I don't know if it was from driving it after or during the spray down of my tires with the tire shine. Just wondering what you guys use for tire shine and if ya'll have any solutions? Would be nice if I had like a 20" cardboard cut out I could put over my rims or something while I sprayed the tires down. That sh!@ goes everywhere!
machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by machina View Post
Today I noticed spots all over my car that looked like tiny grease spots. I don't know if it was from driving it after or during the spray down of my tires with the tire shine. Just wondering what you guys use for tire shine and if ya'll have any solutions? Would be nice if I had like a 20" cardboard cut out I could put over my rims or something while I sprayed the tires down. That sh!@ goes everywhere!
That's the mark of many of the lesser tire shines out there. What you can do is take a foam block and wipe it down after you spray. That will help

If you want products that won't sling, check out Ultima Tire and Trim Guard or Adams SVRT, with the big edge going to Ultima.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
machina

Will place an order now. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Don't forget to get some applicator blocks while you're at it

Old 10-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
machina

Just looked up the ultima and it said its for tires AND trim? Also, the reviews weren't that great regarding the tires :/. Sucks, and those specks were all over my hood, too. How the heck did they get from my tire to the front of the hood?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by machina View Post
Just looked up the ultima and it said its for tires AND trim? Also, the reviews weren't that great regarding the tires :/. Sucks, and those specks were all over my hood, too. How the heck did they get from my tire to the front of the hood?
Anyone who reviews that product poorly is flat out a moron and probably used it wrong. Its probably the most highly respected tire and trim product on most detailing forums.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
machina

Do you happen to have any pics of it on the tire? It seems like its a good product from what I've read on consumer sites. But I think the bad reviews were from people trying to make and old car look like new. I like a high-gloss but I think the only way to achieve that is to use something that would sling. I hope this isn't too "dull" of a tire shine. If you have any pics that would be great. Thanks for the help either way!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232023

Without going to my computer I'll direct you there. It shows both trim and tire application. That's one coat on the tires because I prefer a more satin look. You can apply two coats for a wetter look but it'll never be super glossy like those silicone sprays.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
I use Adams VRT and NEVER have this issue.. I Hated having those spots on my cars for years.. most tire wet products sling all over the car..
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS 2011 View Post
I use Adams VRT and NEVER have this issue.. I Hated having those spots on my cars for years.. most tire wet products sling all over the car..
+1. VRT is fantastic.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Anyone who reviews that product poorly is flat out a moron and probably used it wrong. Its probably the most highly respected tire and trim product on most detailing forums.

Is it difficult to work with or do you think complainers just didn't bother to read the label? Is there anything more to it than wash, dry, dress with a foam application then buff?

A buddy got a new car so I was going to put together a package for him, but he's not the kind of guy that has a ton of time to detail. I'm wondering what the best option is for someone who needs to do it quickly.

Last question... Optimum Opti-Bond seems to get it's share of recommendations. Have you used it, and if so, how does it compare to Ultima or SVRT?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
Is it difficult to work with or do you think complainers just didn't bother to read the label? Is there anything more to it than wash, dry, dress with a foam application then buff?

A buddy got a new car so I was going to put together a package for him, but he's not the kind of guy that has a ton of time to detail. I'm wondering what the best option is for someone who needs to do it quickly.

Last question... Optimum Opti-Bond seems to get it's share of recommendations. Have you used it, and if so, how does it compare to Ultima or SVRT?
Its very easy to use. I would bet anything the people having problems are applying way too much or have not cleaned their tires appropriately. A little is meant to go a LONG way. if you do that, it's as easy as wiping it on and walking away. There's no trick to it.

As far as OptiBond, haven't used it myself. I hear good things. But again, Ultima is overwhelmingly what I read the most about from serious detailers.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
Speedbuggy

Drives: bad ass camaro
other great no sling options are optimum Opti bond and TUF SHINE.
Speedbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
RDZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
+1. VRT is fantastic.

+1
RDZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote