Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
BHamm

Drives: Sierra 2500HD Denali, 14 Camaro ZL1
Shrink wrap and transporting Camaro

Hello,

I am planning on picking up a new Camaro from my dealer in Idaho. I will need to get it to California roughly 500 miles away. I was considering using an open car trailer from U-Haul and having the car professionally wrapped. The wrap is a heat shrink material that is often used to protect boats when they are shipped or stored. My question is has does anyone have experience with this product and are there any concerns with the paint/finish.

Thanks,

BHamm
Old 11-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
HeadlightArmor

Drives: Company Car
I would aviod anything from uhaul at all costs...
why not just pay a co to have it shipped if you dont want to drive it yourself?

I sold a personal car last year (TX) to somebody in VA. He had it shipped for less than $500
HeadlightArmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
BHamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlightArmor View Post
I would aviod anything from uhaul at all costs...
why not just pay a co to have it shipped if you dont want to drive it yourself?

I sold a personal car last year (TX) to somebody in VA. He had it shipped for less than $500
An enclosed trailer would be ideal, but I can't find one to rent. The open car trailer is not the issue. The car will fit. What makes you say avoid U-Haul? I've looked into having a service deliver the car but it will run 1000.00 or more and it's on their schedule which may not be rite away. I'm retired and have made the drive every month for the last 14 months so I'm not concerned with the drive. I just don't want to break the car in on a freeway, and the tires may be an issue in the cold (ZL1).
Old 11-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
HeadlightArmor

Bad uhaul experience many years ago... it was ugly and a learning experience best avoided.
I would search harder for a hauler if you do not want to drive it back yourself. If you do go the trailer it route you could always just use pallet wrap. Just go around and around... remove it later in the day and done. Why pay to wrap with some sort of boat shrink wrap? short trip and you do not need to seal water out of an open cabin.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
BHamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlightArmor View Post
Bad uhaul experience many years ago... it was ugly and a learning experience best avoided.
I would search harder for a hauler if you do not want to drive it back yourself. If you do go the trailer it route you could always just use pallet wrap. Just go around and around... remove it later in the day and done. Why pay to wrap with some sort of boat shrink wrap? short trip and you do not need to seal water out of an open cabin.
My thought was to protect the car from stone damage. The route I have to take is notorious for rock chips. The front of my GMC is testament to that.

I don't think pallet wrap is thick enough for protection but I will look into it.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
HeadlightArmor

just go round and around after it is strapped down. what it looks like once unwrapped at home is more important than what it look like in-transit.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
John E

Drives: 2014 2SS rs 6M
On the trailer note, check around, I used a Budget trailer to haul a vehicle 1500 miles with out incident. Consider me lucky. Unless there new, there used and the only choice you have is whats on the lot. Personal trailer excluded.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
With the heat needed to shrink the wrap you cause some damage to the car, I'd keep looking for an enclosed trailer or at least an open with a front stone guard on the trailer.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
If I were you look around. You could probably buy a trailer around there or on your way and then sell it in Cali for more than you paid for it in another state. Getting it covered may not be a bad idea, not sure if it would harm the paint though.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Another thought, post here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14 and ask if anyone is interested in renting out there enclosed trailer.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
BHamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 View Post
Another thought, post here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14 and ask if anyone is interested in renting out there enclosed trailer.
Good idea. Posted message.

Thanks,
Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Old 12-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #13
ex-SS-ve

A few layers of painters tape on the front end, gills, a pillars and perhaps doors& fenders may be a better idea.
ex-SS-ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #14
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Its more important to find a reliable shipper, use google read the reviews make some calls. Enclosed shipping is much more then a open transport. Just request you car be put up front on the top or bottom my car was shipped in the back and arrived covered in road grime which required a very tenious washing process to not scratch the paint.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote