Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Victoryred1le
Bupp Motorsports

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1 A10
need slave cylinder recomendations

well after 8700 miles the slave cylinder gave out in my 13' 1le. Is there an upgraded slave I can go to instead of the stock gm junk. MY car makes 476/424 at the wheels so im going to replace the clutch while im in there. Thanks in advance.
Victoryred1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoryred1le View Post
well after 8700 miles the slave cylinder gave out in my 13' 1le. Is there an upgraded slave I can go to instead of the stock gm junk. MY car makes 476/424 at the wheels so im going to replace the clutch while im in there. Thanks in advance.
The factory slave cylinder in these cars are hit and miss. The new LT1-S twin disc we offer has a lighter pedal that stock which will put less stress on the slave cylinder assembly.

I shot you a PM, let me know if you have any questions and merry Christmas!
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch View Post
The factory slave cylinder in these cars are hit and miss. The new LT1-S twin disc we offer has a lighter pedal that stock which will put less stress on the slave cylinder assembly.

I shot you a PM, let me know if you have any questions and merry Christmas!
What would you recommend Steve, just keep a stock slave in it or aftermarket? I get asked this question as well.
GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE1320 View Post
What would you recommend Steve, just keep a stock slave in it or aftermarket? I get asked this question as well.
Honestly man, factory. There isn't a single aftermarket slave cylinder that I've seen that could stand up as well as the setup from GM. Sure, they may displace more fluid, be adjustable, etc. but in the end they just don't last.

When the fluid is maintained and you can reduce the bearing load (I.E. the amount of force that is applied to the release bearing - which makes for a less stiffer clutch) you increase the life of the part. Will there be failures of the factory setups? Sure. Are they complete garbage? No. But until I see a legitimate slave setup that will work I'm not convinced.
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Best Thing to do is keep the stock slave cylinder and just change the Throw out bearing. The Gm plastic throw out bearing are junk.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEALG View Post
Best Thing to do is keep the stock slave cylinder and just change the Throw out bearing. The Gm plastic throw out bearing are junk.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
WiredAVS

Drives: '21 TRx '22 ZLe
Is there an upgraded bearing? This weekend after some "spirited driving" I now have developed a pulsing when I apply slight pressure to the pedal. The pulsing is only at the 1st 1/2" of pedal travel. Once you get past that, the pedal is smooth. The pulsing is in sync with the rotation of the engine/flywheel. I assume its the TO going amuck. Stock clutch isn't slipping "yet".

Looking at the:
Monster Level II Street Twin
Mantic 9000
Street Slayer

Already have the remote GTO reservoir and keep fluid clean, looking to change over to s/s Lines to slave, adding remote bleeder, and going to coat the headers to help get the heat down away from the line.

What I don't want to do is pull the clutch, replace everything, and have this stupid plastic bearing going to crap again.....With my luck it would take out my new clutch in the process.

Recaro's, Custom Autometer Gauges, Hotchkis 1" Lowering Coils, CAi Intake, Elite Catch Can's, 1 7/8" StainlessWorks LT's w/Hi Flo Cat's mated to factory NPP Exhaust, 160* Thermo, NightFury Cam, 2.9l Whipple on Meth @ 11lbs, JoeGibbs LS30 in the CrankCase, Built by Nick, Steven, and Tuned By Shawn at Lethal Racing....
WiredAVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
blew out my twin disc at 9000 miles...went 4l80...to much headache blowing these out..happens to easy with bigger hp cars...not worth the headache when you blow one out 800 miles from home
Old 07-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
H-E
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredAVS View Post
Is there an upgraded bearing? This weekend after some "spirited driving" I now have developed a pulsing when I apply slight pressure to the pedal. The pulsing is only at the 1st 1/2" of pedal travel. Once you get past that, the pedal is smooth. The pulsing is in sync with the rotation of the engine/flywheel. I assume its the TO going amuck. Stock clutch isn't slipping "yet".

Looking at the:
Mantic 9000
Street Slayer

Already have the remote GTO reservoir and keep fluid clean, looking to change over to s/s Lines to slave, adding remote bleeder, and going to coat the headers to help get the heat down away from the line.

What I don't want to do is pull the clutch, replace everything, and have this stupid plastic bearing going to crap again.....With my luck it would take out my new clutch in the process.
Thanks for the order!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
H-E
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
blew out my twin disc at 9000 miles...went 4l80...to much headache blowing these out..happens to easy with bigger hp cars...not worth the headache when you blow one out 800 miles from home
If you buy the right clutch you don't have issues ..How you been man!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #11
SpaldCam

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredAVS View Post

Looking at the:
Mantic 9000
Street Slayer

I just noticed this on my car as well. I brought it into the shop about a month ago complaining about rough clutch engagement and was told it was performing like every other Camaro they had ever driven. The bearing was just noisy.

Now I get pulsating grinding for the first 1 or 2 inches, then smooth, then grinding pulsing with the clutch all the way in. I'm also getting pulsing as I let the clutch out. I'm worried this is prematurely wearing the clutch disc and flywheel. It's more difficult to push the clutch in while moving, sometimes, it feels like I'm doing leg presses.

The worst part is they just replaced the clutch 1000 miles ago. I babied this thing to break in the clutch. If the bearing is severely worn I could need a whole new clutch again!
SpaldCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
WiredAVS

Drives: '21 TRx '22 ZLe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaldCam View Post
I just noticed this on my car as well. I brought it into the shop about a month ago complaining about rough clutch engagement and was told it was performing like every other Camaro they had ever driven. The bearing was just noisy.

Now I get pulsating grinding for the first 1 or 2 inches, then smooth, then grinding pulsing with the clutch all the way in. I'm also getting pulsing as I let the clutch out. I'm worried this is prematurely wearing the clutch disc and flywheel. It's more difficult to push the clutch in while moving, sometimes, it feels like I'm doing leg presses.

The worst part is they just replaced the clutch 1000 miles ago. I babied this thing to break in the clutch. If the bearing is severely worn I could need a whole new clutch again!

I would assume that whomever you had replace the clutch would look at this under their warranty. If they replaced the clutch, then the slave and bearing usually get changed out at the same time. Have you brought it back to the installing party?

I have not removed the tranny yet to determine the root cause of my pulsing as I'm waiting on parts. As soon as it's down I'll report the cause. Should be within the next few weeks.

ePhone

Recaro's, Custom Autometer Gauges, Hotchkis 1" Lowering Coils, CAi Intake, Elite Catch Can's, 1 7/8" StainlessWorks LT's w/Hi Flo Cat's mated to factory NPP Exhaust, 160* Thermo, NightFury Cam, 2.9l Whipple on Meth @ 11lbs, JoeGibbs LS30 in the CrankCase, Built by Nick, Steven, and Tuned By Shawn at Lethal Racing....
WiredAVS is offline   Reply With Quote