Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Blue_11RS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Anyone else get any chips in your hood wrap?

2700 miles :( thought the wrap was a little more durable. Any know how difficult a repair would be?
Attached Images

Blue_11RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Knock on wood, no damage to report on the wrap yet.

Rest of the front, I've covered in protective film, only the wrap I left naked.

Hope I don't regret it.

Subscribed.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
I removed mine because I had a hairline scratch that ran the length of the hood. It was right in the line of site while driving so it had to go.

You'd be better off removing and replacing than repairing.

It is about $100 worth of materials. If you do it make sure you have a warm day as the material is much easier to deal with when hot.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
I noticed one on my wrap so far. First voyage on the interstate is when it happened.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
macmini706

Drives: BMW
Thank you very much
macmini706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I've used plasti-dip and a toothpick to touch up small chips in my hood vinyl, matches good and holding up great.

I asked about ppf over the vinyl when I got my clear-bra. The quote was about the same as replacing the vinyl so I didn't bother.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
3500 miles and mine is still flawless, for now.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Blue_11RS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
I've used plasti-dip and a toothpick to touch up small chips in my hood vinyl, matches good and holding up great.

I asked about ppf over the vinyl when I got my clear-bra. The quote was about the same as replacing the vinyl so I didn't bother.
Did you just spray the plasti dip into a bowl or something then use a tooth pick to spread it? Got any picks of how it looks?

As a side note does anyone know if this is "good quality vinyl" from the factory? Is there something better? sorry dont know much about vinyl.

Thanks!
Blue_11RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
bluBlud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_11RS View Post
Did you just spray the plasti dip into a bowl or something then use a tooth pick to spread it? Got any picks of how it looks?

As a side note does anyone know if this is "good quality vinyl" from the factory? Is there something better? sorry dont know much about vinyl.

Thanks!
I sprayed plasti-dip on a paper plate then dipped the toothpick into it. I just touched the chip with the dipped pick, let it sit for a minute - maybe less - to get tacky then blotted it with my fingertip. The nice thing about plasti-dip is it's not permanent, just peel and retry if you don't like it. Here's the best pic I could get that shows the covered chip, my car is white so it showed much more uncovered than yours. This was taken very close at an angle to highlight the touch up, you'd be hard pressed to find it if you didn't know where it is. For the $7 or whatever the plasti-dip cost at Home Depot, it's worth a try.

I think OEM vinyl is 3M, but not 100% sure.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
ExtremeAutowerks

Drives: Clean and Fast
Once you get a small damage like that on your vinyl wrap, all you can do is replace it. I have tested heat gunning a small little "chip" it looked a little better, but still best to replace it.
ExtremeAutowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
bluBlud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeAutowerks View Post
Once you get a small damage like that on your vinyl wrap, all you can do is replace it. I have tested heat gunning a small little "chip" it looked a little better, but still best to replace it.
No doubt a rewrap is the best fix but not really cost effective every time you get a small chip. I honestly don't know but am guessing it costs $400 or more to rewrap the hood. How flawless is an aftermarket installation? I'd like to get my roof wrapped this summer but am wondering if the installation will be as good as OEM. Can it be done with zero defects; absolutely no bubbles, folds or tears? The reason I ask is my clear bra was done by a highly regarded installer, and while I think he did a great job - there are a few imperfections which he told me are just unavoidable. Right or wrong, I envision an OEM installation being better controlled than what local shops can do. I'm not sure I'd want an aftermarket wrap if it would be likely to have defects like bubbles that would be noticeable. Sorry if I changed the subject...