Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
johandepuydt

Drives: Camaro 2012 45th edition-Edelbrock
smell of coolant inside

I have a 2012 L99 with 25.000 kms (European model).
Now for some time I smell often, after a warm start (I mean never after the car has been standing overnight) a scent of coolant in the interior.
This is happening for a few months now but the coolant level stays at maximum. I am puzzeled.
Anybody had or has the same thing going on?
johandepuydt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Get to your dealership and get your heater core checked out ASAP. I have a 2010, and the first thing people riding in my car would say, is "I smell coolant dude." I didn't think nothing of it, until I started smelling it myself. Then I would smell it worse when I hit my defroster or heat buttons. Then it got to the point where the passenger side of the windshield wouldn't defrost, it would say fogged up. Turns out, my heater core was leaking, and went bad. I got it replaced UNDER WARRANTY.

Without a warranty, it's a 1800$ job, which includes removing and replacing your windshield with a new one.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hello!

I am sorry to hear this has occurred. If you would like assistance from the customer care team in Belgium, they would be happy to help. The phone number is 32-0-2-257-29-50.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by johandepuydt View Post
I have a 2012 L99 with 25.000 kms (European model).
Now for some time I smell often, after a warm start (I mean never after the car has been standing overnight) a scent of coolant in the interior.
This is happening for a few months now but the coolant level stays at maximum. I am puzzeled.
Anybody had or has the same thing going on?
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
johandepuydt

Would you believe it!!!
Made an appointment with the dealer and brought te car in for inspection this morning.
Got it back this evening.
This is what they said to me....
Sir, we can not find anything but we also have no technician that can work on American cars.....
I asked...did you do a pressure test and he looked at me as if I came from Mars in a space ship.
This is what you get when you buy a nice American muscle car in a country like Belgium. You pay 3500 dollar on taxes yearly and nobody can service it!
I'm screwed
Old 01-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Hi johandepuydt,

I am sorry to hear this resolution! Were you able to contact the customer care department in Belgium for further assistance?

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Would you believe it!!!
Made an appointment with the dealer and brought te car in for inspection this morning.
Sir, we can not find anything but we also have no technician that can work on American cars.....
I asked...did you do a pressure test and he looked at me as if I came from Mars in a space ship.
This is what you get when you buy a nice American muscle car in a country like Belgium. You pay 3500 dollar on taxes yearly and nobody can service it!
I'm screwed
Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
It's not as though American cars are from a different planet than European cars. Sounds like poor mechanics! You may want to bypass the heater core or risk leaking coolant into the interior of the car.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
johandepuydt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hi johandepuydt,

I am sorry to hear this resolution! Were you able to contact the customer care department in Belgium for further assistance?

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
I will do this on monday if I find the time. E-mail has already been sent.
Johan
Old 01-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Okay, keep me posted! They would be happy to assist.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
I will do this on monday if I find the time. E-mail has already been sent.
Johan
Old 01-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Mine did that too. It was an easy fix. Open the hood and look at the radiator. Look all the way to the left and find the overflow bottle (Black with a small lid that screws on) and look at the inlet hose to that bottle. There is a rubber grommet there. Make sure it is pushed in and sealed there.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:19 AM   #10
johandepuydt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
Mine did that too. It was an easy fix. Open the hood and look at the radiator. Look all the way to the left and find the overflow bottle (Black with a small lid that screws on) and look at the inlet hose to that bottle. There is a rubber grommet there. Make sure it is pushed in and sealed there.
I don't think we have the same issue. I also noticed a wet and foggy front window on the inside, just above the dash, after driving.

I have an appointment next monday at another dealership. I will keep you guys posted!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:36 AM   #11
johandepuydt

Back home from dealer.
They found the problem.
There is a motor controlled valve behind the dash to choose between in or outside air. That motor is jammed and must be replaced.
Has anybody technical drawings so I can see what part they mean?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:19 AM   #12
KahunaSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
lets recall these

Heater cores are starting to leak causing problems for our drivers,, Not only is it expensive to fix it can also be dangerous,, Imagine you driving at a certain speed and you son or wife is on the passenger side and you son is wearing sandals or your wife is wearing heels and she screams in pain and scares the hell out of you and you lose control on the car and crash? Not very safe.. or your driving and the window keeps fogging and you can't see and you crash.. you over heat and break down somewhere and your car won't start and your in the middle of the road and some drunk a- hole hits you... Right now Chevy has issued a recall for out damn key.. because we can hit it with our knee cause the car to turn off and us losing control... sounds like the same thing if you car shut off from over heating and i have never heard of that problem,,, please file a complaint so we can all be assured if ours goes it can be fixed,, I'm starting to smell fluid and i have a 11 ss and it has 37000 miles... contact https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and fill out the form... lets fix this matter...
KahunaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #13
KahunaSS

lets recall these

Quote:
Would you believe it!!!
I'm screwed
Heater cores are starting to leak causing problems for our drivers,, Not only is it expensive to fix it can also be dangerous,, Imagine you driving at a certain speed and you son or wife is on the passenger side and you son is wearing sandals or your wife is wearing heels and she screams in pain and scares the hell out of you and you lose control on the car and crash? Not very safe.. or your driving and the window keeps fogging and you can't see and you crash.. you over heat and break down somewhere and your car won't start and your in the middle of the road and some drunk a- hole hits you... Right now Chevy has issued a recall for out damn key.. because we can hit it with our knee cause the car to turn off and us losing control... sounds like the same thing if you car shut off from over heating and i have never heard of that problem,,, please file a complaint so we can all be assured if ours goes it can be fixed,, I'm starting to smell fluid and i have a 11 ss and it has 37000 miles... contact https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and fill out the form... lets fix this matter...
Old 08-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #14
KahunaSS

lets recall these

Quote:
Would you believe it!!!
I'm screwed