Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
1LE Oil Catch Can

There are but 3 things I had in my mind that would need to be changed on my 1LE:
  • Skip-shift eliminator is a must-have
  • Clutch/Brake reservoir separation
  • Oil catch can since I don't like unnecessary dirt/oil where it doesn't belong

The question I have is, is that I understand the ZL1 has an oil catch can and for some reason somewhere I thought I read that the 1LE also has a catch can from the factory.

Is this true? If not, I've got my JDP Motorsport cart filled with all 3 items ready to go.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
There are but 3 things I had in my mind that would need to be changed on my 1LE:
  • Skip-shift eliminator is a must-have
  • Clutch/Brake reservoir separation
  • Oil catch can since I don't like unnecessary dirt/oil where it doesn't belong

The question I have is, is that I understand the ZL1 has an oil catch can and for some reason somewhere I thought I read that the 1LE also has a catch can from the factory.

Is this true? If not, I've got my JDP Motorsport cart filled with all 3 items ready to go.
The catch can you are referring to is actually just a drain back oil separator for the clean side. The Clean side separators should not be used for anything other than track use because of the condensation they collect and let right back into the engine. Being that you have a 1LE your car should have came with one. A lot of time they are in the trunk.

The best solution would be to run 2 catch cans; one for the clean side one for the dirty side. Most don't bother with the clean side as it is only responsible for roughly 5% of the oil that gets drawn through.

Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions and thanks for considering us for your mods!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
The catch can you are referring to is actually just a drain back oil separator for the clean side. The Clean side separators should not be used for anything other than track use because of the condensation they collect and let right back into the engine. Being that you have a 1LE your car should have came with one. A lot of time they are in the trunk.

The best solution would be to run 2 catch cans; one for the clean side one for the dirty side. Most don't bother with the clean side as it is only responsible for roughly 5% of the oil that gets drawn through.

Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions and thanks for considering us for your mods!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Hey Tyler,i run both my RX and the stock 1LE 24/7 are you saying i shouldn't run the factory one all the time?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
JDP Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Hey Tyler,i run both my RX and the stock 1LE 24/7 are you saying i shouldn't run the factory one all the time?
Down in SoCal, it may be another story as you don't really see the freezing temps we do here in our cold climate.

One way to test the thoery to see if you are okay running the 1LE separator or not is to look at the contents of your catch can. If it looks milky or creamy similar to chocolate milk, than you are catching condensation and I would suggest removing it for your "colder months". If it just looks like oil, then you are probably okay.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 02-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
cornerspeed92

Thanks for the info Tyler,will check after Fontana next weekend.I saw JDP on another post that you guys were coming to SoCal this year.Are you coming just to race or for track days?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
JDP Sales

Quote:
Thanks for the info Tyler,will check after Fontana next weekend.I saw JDP on another post that you guys were coming to SoCal this year.Are you coming just to race or for track days?
Anytime!

Jordan will be coming down to race the JDP Camaro at the Ultimate Street car event at Laguna Seca March 7-9th. I don't think I will make it though.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 02-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
cornerspeed92

Sounds fun,i wont be able to make it up there either.I am planing on doing Miller in Aug.cant wait.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
WiredAVS

Drives: '21 TRx '22 ZLe
clutch/brake mod is a great idea....this is mine after 800 miles of use.
Attached Images

Recaro's, Custom Autometer Gauges, Hotchkis 1" Lowering Coils, CAi Intake, Elite Catch Can's, 1 7/8" StainlessWorks LT's w/Hi Flo Cat's mated to factory NPP Exhaust, 160* Thermo, NightFury Cam, 2.9l Whipple on Meth @ 11lbs, JoeGibbs LS30 in the CrankCase, Built by Nick, Steven, and Tuned By Shawn at Lethal Racing....
WiredAVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
JDP Sales

Quote:
Sounds fun,i wont be able to make it up there either.I am planing on doing Miller in Aug.cant wait.
Oh nice! You are going to like Miller!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredAVS View Post
clutch/brake mod is a great idea....this is mine after 800 miles of use.
Definitely a must!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 02-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Thanks for your help on the phone Tyler. Order inbound.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
JDP Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Thanks for your help on the phone Tyler. Order inbound.
Sounds good and thanks for the order! Let me know if I can help you any further!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #12
AAAND GO

Drives: 14 2SS 1LE RRM NPP / 90 Lumina Euro
My 1LE is queued for production this week and I'm planning to install a K&N CAI and really thinking of getting an Rx catch can w/single check valve. Any insight on the catch can since I'm not tracking it? I'm also not going to be driving Miss Daisy either!

Also, the factory separator will NOT work with the K&N CAI, or will it?
AAAND GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #13
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAND GO View Post
My 1LE is queued for production this week and I'm planning to install a K&N CAI and really thinking of getting an Rx catch can w/single check valve. Any insight on the catch can since I'm not tracking it? I'm also not going to be driving Miss Daisy either!

Also, the factory separator will NOT work with the K&N CAI, or will it?
You can use the factory seperator with your CAI, should not be an issue. Regarding the catch can, RX is no longer available, look at getting the APEX can or Elite Engineering instead.

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #14
AAAND GO

Drives: 14 2SS 1LE RRM NPP / 90 Lumina Euro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksynergy View Post
You can use the factory seperator with your CAI, should not be an issue. Regarding the catch can, RX is no longer available, look at getting the APEX can or Elite Engineering instead.
Thanks for the info, I was thinking the placement of the CAI would require a modification for the stock separator. I communicated with RX yesterday about the catch can. Why are you saying it is no longer available?
AAAND GO is offline   Reply With Quote