Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Remote start for manual

I'm looking to get an after market remote start for my manual 2012 SS. I believe they have had a lot of advancements in remote starts for manual shift.

Any ideas on the best ones out there and how they work?

Thanks!

timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
this may help
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=19983&page=2
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333815
Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
long71

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
They are a little strange. My wife has one on her Mazda 3. You have to put the car in neutral, pull the parking brake up twice and then exit the car while it is still running. As soon as you shut the door the engine shuts off and sets the remote starter. It cost about $500.
long71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
No valet for me. Everytime I hear the word all I think about is that airborne 61 Ferrari GT in Ferris Bueller's Day off with those two guys big Ol grins.

Besides, I like to hear that rough, racecar cold start with headers, so no remote start for me.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Do you park with the emergency brake on? If so, you shouldn't. It's a cable and it's only a matter of time before you stretch that cable out enough and it snaps, sending your now free-rolling vehicle (it can't possibly be in gear if you're considering remote-start) down whatever slight incline it happens to be parked on.

Park your manual vehicle the same way you do an automatic, in gear (first or reverse works quite well). This of course, prevents the possibility of remote-start, but that is the price of transmission greatness.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
puzzzeler

Drives: 2012 2LS Inferno Orange
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321652 check this out install you can do yourself
puzzzeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #7
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
i have been running compustars since they came out in the early 2000's. they are the pioneer in the manual remote start. i would use them any day and feel safe. however DONT use it if you are one that leaves their windows down or if you have a convert. i have never seen any issue with them.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #8
jmelchio
SSmokinJoe

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS M6
Wow, that's interesting. I've been driving a manual for 10+ years and never knew there was a remote start available.
SLP Loudmouth II Axleback
Hurst Shifter
R1Concepts Slotted Rotors
Hawk Ceramic Brakepads

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
jmelchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
My brother had one on his car w a manual and he forgot to set his and he started it up and his car lunged forward and messed up his front end. After the second time this happened he disabled his. I wouldn't recommend it, you think you will set it. But like my bro, he forgot and it cost him.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #10
5thGenSean

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Do you park with the emergency brake on? If so, you shouldn't. It's a cable and it's only a matter of time before you stretch that cable out enough and it snaps, sending your now free-rolling vehicle (it can't possibly be in gear if you're considering remote-start) down whatever slight incline it happens to be parked on.

Park your manual vehicle the same way you do an automatic, in gear (first or reverse works quite well). This of course, prevents the possibility of remote-start, but that is the price of transmission greatness.
This might be the worst advice I have seen.
First of all automatic transmissions have a park pawl that locks the driveshaft and the only way an automatic can go "in gear" is with hydraulic pressure that is created by a running engine turning a pump in the transmission.
Yes using 1st or reverse on a manual trans will will give you the best gear reduction (or OD for the engine) but it will still slowly role down a hill if it is steep enough as engine compression bleeds off.
Also not using your parking brake will result in corrosion locking up moving components. (e.g., parking brake cable, shoes, hardware, etc.)
5thGenSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #11
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenSean View Post
This might be the worst advice I have seen.
First of all automatic transmissions have a park pawl that locks the driveshaft and the only way an automatic can go "in gear" is with hydraulic pressure that is created by a running engine turning a pump in the transmission.
Yes using 1st or reverse on a manual trans will will give you the best gear reduction (or OD for the engine) but it will still slowly role down a hill if it is steep enough as engine compression bleeds off.
Also not using your parking brake will result in corrosion locking up moving components. (e.g., parking brake cable, shoes, hardware, etc.)
I'm talking about relatively flat ground. Obviously if you're on any kind of incline where you'd want to take pressure off driveline components, you would also use the emergency brake, but by no means should you use the emergency brake every time you park the car. It WILL snap eventually and if your car isn't in gear - its hitting something.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #12
5thGenSean

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
I'm talking about relatively flat ground. Obviously if you're on any kind of incline where you'd want to take pressure off driveline components, you would also use the emergency brake, but by no means should you use the emergency brake every time you park the car. It WILL snap eventually and if your car isn't in gear - its hitting something.
OK, sorry, you obviously have a better grasp of functional safety than any OEM car manufacturer and I will shut up as I will end up working for you one day.
5thGenSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
My brother had one on his car w a manual and he forgot to set his and he started it up and his car lunged forward and messed up his front end. After the second time this happened he disabled his. I wouldn't recommend it, you think you will set it. But like my bro, he forgot and it cost him.
So playing devil's advocate, if you have the car in neutral, and you go to start it up, it will lunge forward once it's started?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #14
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
I was taught that if you are on an incline, you should use both the emergency cable and leave the car parked in first gear. On flat ground you could leave it in neutral, but only need to use light pressure on the e-brake. That way you would lessen the wear on the e-brake cable line. I've owned several manual car's and I guess I was one of the lucky few that never had an issue with it.

So, for those who are noobs, no need to crank the shit out of the e-brake when applying.
Make sure to have it inspected every year you get your car inspected (part of the safety inspection in most states) and everything will be golden.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote